Author Topic: 5 Myths About 'Wronghorn'  (Read 1365 times)

BouncingAyatollah

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.bouncingayatollah.co.uk
5 Myths About 'Wronghorn'
« on: 19 November 2003, 05:42 »
The 5 following damaging myths:

Myth #1: The Longhorn suite will be a worthwhile investment.
Myth #2: Longhorn will not drive customer dependence on Microsoft products.
Myth #3: Longhorn will provide a better alternative to Java.
Myth #4: Longhorn will not require a multitude of customer upgrades to implement.
Myth #5: Longhorn will support open standards.

are debunked here:

ZDnet
The cheese would have to be subatomic size before quantum cheese effects would take over -- and then it wouldn't be identifiable as cheese any longer.

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2003, 10:34 »
Heh, 'Wronghorn'. Never thought of that.   :D

quote:
Myth #3: Longhorn will provide a better alternative to Java.

Yup, .net is yet another rip-off, like Sparkle http://ad.doubleclick.net/adi/eweek.dart/windowsnews;sz=336x280;ord=5710064173? and XDocs http://news.com.com/2100-1040-978607.html . With .not, you'll be able to run software on any platform, as long as it's Windows.

Enmity

« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2003, 18:00 »
I've recently DLed the ISO of longhorn build 4051 and installed it
*start the flames*
one comment:
bloat

don't use it
uninstalled it ASAP
TCPA
DMCA
RIAA
LONGHORN

Mix'them together... What do you get?

A BIG FUCKING PILE OF STEAMING SHIT!!!

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2003, 19:44 »
Did you really think it would be fast and streamlined? I expect alot of bloat. I expect that i will have to buy a brand new computer just to run it halfway decently. Which is sad, considering my machine is still very fast. It runs xp like ass. Slow. 2000 runs better on my pc. Doesnt matter, becuase i rarely use windows, and have no doubt that i will never even install wronghorn.

TB

« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2003, 20:00 »
Wow....a decidedly anti-M$ article on ZDNet???? Either something is seriously wrong over there, or the painkillers i'm on at the moment are way too strong.

HPC GUY

• Kudos: 101
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2003, 22:25 »
alotta crack heads responding to that article saying that its bs. i a few ppl need to wake up and smell the starbucks.....
"if i destroyed you, i would only be perpetuating your legacy" - Me

black crow

« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2003, 10:16 »
quote:
Longhorn won't be available until 2006, assuming there are no more slips in the release date (it has already been delayed three times).

Three times? Is that all?  Come on Bill, surely you could delay it a few more times???  Or maybe just drop SchLonghorn altogether???  Now THERE'S an idea!

quote:
Microsoft served up another dose of rhetoric that inevitably encourages locking developers and customers into Microsoft products.

Naturally.  It just wouldn't be right for ppl to use non-M$ products now, would it Bill?    

quote:
As far as I can tell, Longhorn is yet another Windows wolf dressed up in sheep's clothing.

& yet another M$ cata$trophe waiting to happen...    :rolleyes:
I really hate this damn machine
I'm thinking I should sell it
It never does what I want it to
It just does what I tell it.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2003, 04:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ecsyle:
I expect alot of bloat. I expect that i will have to buy a brand new computer just to run it halfway decently.

I thought that Longhorn was going to require a new, palladiumified computer to run.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #8 on: 25 November 2003, 07:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by M. O'Brien:

I thought that Longhorn was going to require a new, palladiumified computer to run.

I wouldn't know. Im not going to bother with longhorn. I have no reason to.

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2003, 11:48 »
quote:

They aren't calling it "Palladium" anymore. Of course they say it won't require "whatever" to run, but it will require "whatever" if you want to access all of its new features. (Which really means it will require "whatever" in order to run     :mad:    ).

Regardless, you can expect shit-loads of bloat. That's what M$ does best. I have an old Dell Dimension (Pentium I (113MHz), 2.0GB HD, 1.5GB HD, 64MB RAM, 2.0MB RAM Vid Card) that originally came with Win 95, and which couldn't run XP even if I wanted to. However, it runs Slackware 9.0 with KDE 3.1 just fine.        When Wronghorn finally does come out, I'm betting that my new Micron Millenia Xtreme won't have enough to run the damn thing, but I except that "Slackware 12.0" or "Mandrake 16.2" will run, no problem.      

T'hell with Win-doesn't, Bill Gates and Macro$uck.

If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

[ November 27, 2003: Message edited by: jtpenrod ]

Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
« Reply #10 on: 26 November 2003, 17:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by jtpenrod:

They aren't calling it "Palladium" anymore. Of course they say it won't require "whatever" to run, but it will require "whatever" if you want to access all of its new features. (Which really means it will require "whatever" in order to run    :mad:   ).

Regardless, you can expect shit-loads of bloat. That's what M$ does best. I have an old Dell Dimension (Pentium I (113MHz), 2.0GB HD, 1.5GB HD, 64MB RAM, 2.0MB RAM Vid Card) that originally came with Win 95, and which couldn't run XP even if I wanted to. However, it runs Slackware 9.0 with KDE 3.1 just fine.     When Wronghorn finally does come out, I'm betting that my new Micron Millenia Xtreme won't have enough to run the damn thing, but I except that "Slackware 12.0" or "Mandrake 16.2" will run, no problem.      

This is where linux might be able to catch up to the commercial Operating Systems. Linux improves at a much faster rate than most OS's. Its open and free structure allows new versions every 6 months. XP came out in 2001, and Longhorn comes out in 2006, so two versions in 5 years isnt exactly fast progress.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

solarismka

« Reply #11 on: 27 November 2003, 08:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by ThePreacher:

This is where linux might be able to catch up to the commercial Operating Systems. Linux improves at a much faster rate than most OS's. Its open and free structure allows new versions every 6 months. XP came out in 2001, and Longhorn comes out in 2006, so two versions in 5 years isnt exactly fast progress.

If it does come out in 2006.  you gotta love those M$ children.  When we say that M$ is totaly shit with real life proof. They jump up and down saying its total BS while they don't mind lying about m$ so they can keep their delusioned thoughts intact.

Apparently there are people in this world more stupid than that of a standard chicken!

:D
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #12 on: 27 November 2003, 20:11 »
quote:
jtpenrod: Pentium I (113MHz), 2.0GB HD, 1.5GB HD, 64MB RAM, 2.0MB RAM Vid Card

The real minimum system requirements for Windows XP:

Pentium-MMX 1 200 MHz
3 GB free HDD space
96 MB RAM
8 MB RAM SVGA card (with Direct3D support)

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #13 on: 28 November 2003, 19:40 »
long horn? dear god its going to suck.  maybe they could provide a bonghorn with it so you don't giva shit your getting assraped by your own computer.
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #14 on: 29 November 2003, 02:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by demigod chaosforages:
long horn? dear god its going to suck.  maybe they could provide a bonghorn with it so you don't giva shit your getting assraped by your own computer.

That was almost as good as "Zelda? More like Celda"