Author Topic: Longhorn Build 4015  (Read 980 times)

anphanax

• Kudos: 11
    • http://june.tripod.com
Longhorn Build 4015
« on: 3 August 2003, 21:49 »
I'm pretty sure most people have seen this (well, at least those interested in the future of Microsoft for whatever reason) back awhile ago when people were discussing it more, but this is a somewhat newish build, so I decided to give people a chance to see what MS was up to if they didn't know. (education typically doesn't hurt anything)
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/longhorn_4015.asp

Summary of article:
New 'Avalon' graphics library to replace GDI\GDI+.
More DirectX Integration.
Parental Controls.
Streamlined Setup.
A welcome screen that looks somewhat MACish.
A ton of crap for the new sidebar.

interesting quotes:
"As expected, the Longhorn shell is still a disaster. After turning off Windows Future Storage (WinFS) to speed things up, I was still astonished by how poorly the system performed."

"you might recall that many people are wondering why IE development has virtually stopped. This might be because IE, the product, is indeed going away and that Longhorn users will simply browse the Web using the Windows shell." (All of the alternative browser users will have nowhere to hide from MSIE now, period. That includes me.)

"So there you go, another slow, buggy, crash-infected Longhorn alpha build, but one which includes a few new pieces of interesting functionality. As ever, this build is not for day-to-day use, and it's certainly not a perfect indication of what's coming down the road. But in these beta-starved times before the official Longhorn Beta Program kicks in, it's better than nothing. We should get more Longhorn information next week at WinHEC, and then again at the TechEd and PDC shows later in the year. Beta 1 is still expected in October, with the final release set for late 2004 or early 2005, depending on who you ask."

And for those of you who just want to see a crash screenshot (play around with explorer.exe enough in any windows and you'll get one, same old same old) http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/4015_151.png

And as a side note unrelated to the topic:
KNOPPIX LOCKED UP WHEN I WAS POSTING SOMETHING.
No operating system is perfect. Some are
better than others, but none are perfect.

avello500

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.suicidaltendencies.com/
Longhorn Build 4015
« Reply #1 on: 3 August 2003, 10:17 »
im surprised that m$ hasn't trademarked crash dialog."our systems invented crash dialog, why our os's crash more than all the others combined."
i need another beer.
How can you say im crazy? You wouldnt know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch.  -- mike muir/suicidal tendencies

lonodnboi2k3

• http://none as yet
Longhorn Build 4015
« Reply #2 on: 3 August 2003, 17:44 »

quote:
Explorer.exe is now a .NET managed code application, but it crashes frequently.  

Even a Pro Windows site admits it crashes frequently...... How is it that new versions of Linux are beta tested they very rarely crash yet windows does     :D  

[edit] Opps, didnt realise this picture had been posted... Oh well  :eek:  {/Edit}

[ August 03, 2003: Message edited by: Londonboi2k3 ]

Viva La Mac

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
Longhorn Build 4015
« Reply #3 on: 3 August 2003, 20:37 »
Why is the recycle bin the only icon in Longhorn?  :D    :D
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
Longhorn Build 4015
« Reply #4 on: 3 August 2003, 23:16 »
Jesus christ. It's not a final product. It has a right to crash--the beta version of Mandrake, or whatever you're talking about, uses proven code that's (mostly) not developed in-house.

As for the recycle icon, it's like that by default with Windows XP--"My Computer", "My Documents", and "Network Neighborhood" are hidden because people rarely use them.

Faust

Longhorn Build 4015
« Reply #5 on: 4 August 2003, 01:45 »
1 Beta code is always buggy, don't make up your mind until you see the final release.

2 FFS, link to images, some of us pay money for downloads.  People are also intelligent enough to realize that a link claiming to lead to a shot of a windows crash will usually do that and don't need it shoved in their faces.

3 Wow, MS has made their desktop just like my Windows desktop was (just a recycle bin - everything else got at through the start bar.)  I am *so* going to sue MS for taking my "only the recycle bin on the desktop" concept.

4 "No judge, we can't let X windows emulation software run on our OS because we integrated our graphics and now we can't get the darn thing out!"

5 Oh goody, what a lovely way to try and shut down any impending "browser wars" Bill you fucked up sack of shit.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Faust

Longhorn Build 4015
« Reply #6 on: 4 August 2003, 01:53 »
6 Aren't there security risks involved with making the shell the web browser?

7 The dude on a windows site uses png images???
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
Longhorn Build 4015
« Reply #7 on: 4 August 2003, 02:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by Faust:
6 Aren't there security risks involved with making the shell the web browser?

7 The dude on a windows site uses png images???

Aren't there security risks with using windows period?

bigsleep

Longhorn Build 4015
« Reply #8 on: 4 August 2003, 06:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by TheQuirk:

As for the recycle icon, it's like that by default with Windows XP--"My Computer", "My Documents", and "Network Neighborhood" are hidden because people rarely use them.

If they claim that "My Documents" is rarely used WTH is it there in the first place, and why can't you remove it? And BTW, I thought it was the "more friendly" "My Network Places". Gee, is M$ just now realizing that the Desktop is practically useless? Is it somehow more convenient to scroll through a menu made overly large from needlessly long filenames and full of usless icons; rather than to fill the screen with meaningless and useless icons that are difficult to access? The best way to cater to people that are too lazy to organize things is to auto organize in an unorganized fashion?
Personally I feel that it's MY computer, not Microsoft's, so I've removed any reference to "My[space][anything]".

TheQuirk

• VIP
Longhorn Build 4015
« Reply #9 on: 4 August 2003, 08:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by Bigsleep:

If they claim that "My Documents" is rarely used WTH is it there in the first place, and why can't you remove it? And BTW, I thought it was the "more friendly" "My Network Places". Gee, is M$ just now realizing that the Desktop is practically useless? Is it somehow more convenient to scroll through a menu made overly large from needlessly long filenames and full of usless icons; rather than to fill the screen with meaningless and useless icons that are difficult to access? The best way to cater to people that are too lazy to organize things is to auto organize in an unorganized fashion?
Personally I feel that it's MY computer, not Microsoft's, so I've removed any reference to "My[space][anything]".

Hrmph. You can easily remove that stuff. The icons are removed by default (suprise!), and you can easily remove/change the name of My Documents.

I don't understand why you're so angry about it. If you don't like it, install something different.

I mean, the last time I was as angry as you are right now, I was fighting off an alien invasion.

avello500

• http://www.suicidaltendencies.com/
Longhorn Build 4015
« Reply #10 on: 4 August 2003, 10:17 »
the last time i was that pissed i was an alien trying to invead a new world.

small galaxy.
How can you say im crazy? You wouldnt know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch.  -- mike muir/suicidal tendencies

bigsleep

Longhorn Build 4015
« Reply #11 on: 4 August 2003, 17:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by TheQuirk:

Hrmph. You can easily remove that stuff. The icons are removed by default (suprise!), and you can easily remove/change the name of My Documents.

Uhm, have you actually tried removing it, or are you speaking strictly of the shortcut, which is quite easy to remove of course.
It wasn't easy, but I have taken care of it.

quote:

I don't understand why you're so angry about it. If you don't like it, install something different.

Did my post sound angry, hmm, that was just a condensed rant.
Did I imply that I didn't have something different?

TheQuirk

• VIP
Longhorn Build 4015
« Reply #12 on: 4 August 2003, 20:10 »
You said you removed things from Windows. To do that, I assume you need Windows.  :confused:

ExtractorFactor0

• http://www.microsoft.com
Longhorn Build 4015
« Reply #13 on: 5 August 2003, 01:30 »
Longhorn is going to be a great new release from Microsoft.

I just got off of the phone with a friend of mine who is a developer for the Longhorn project and he says that Microsoft is installing a new OS backdoor for the Government so they can catch computer criminals quicker.

And there is going to be a special key sequence that you can use to connect your Web Browser to the controls of Air Force One and fly the President to your local airport to help you catch a potential hacker invading your system.

I can't wait for this release! Think of all the possibilities! Thanks Bill!
If (ExtractorFactor=0) then
    (PullOut=1) else
    (KeepItIn=1) goto end

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
Longhorn Build 4015
« Reply #14 on: 5 August 2003, 02:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by ExtractorFactor=0:
And there is going to be a special key sequence that you can use to connect your Web Browser to the controls of Air Force One and fly the President to your local airport to help you catch a potential hacker invading your system.

What about the vice Prez. Is there a code to awake him from his cryogenic sleep?