Author Topic: Windows XP  (Read 3875 times)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Windows XP
« Reply #30 on: 19 December 2001, 20:02 »
sigh. Note the typo above. I say that crummy old 133 Mhz computers will run windows better than windows. Of course i meant to say that Linux is supposed to need less clock speed and less memory to run than windows. Nevermind, doesn't it just go to show that us anti microsoft types are all a bunch of morons, bubbaslub?  ;)
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
Windows XP
« Reply #31 on: 21 December 2001, 08:01 »
All last summer we were promised that Windows XP would be the best, most stable, and secure Windows ever. We were promised that: "Yes you can" and "Suddenly every thing clicks". Now it appears that Win XP has some huge security problems. USA Today

Say it ain't so, Bill.
Say it ain't so   :(
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Windows XP
« Reply #32 on: 21 December 2001, 16:28 »
quote:
A Microsoft official said the risk to consumers was unprecedented because the glitches allow hackers to seize control of all Windows XP operating system software without requiring a computer user to do anything except connect to the Internet. Microsoft made available on its Web site a free fix for both home and professional editions of Windows XP and forcefully urged consumers to install it immediately.

HO HO HO!
That's very funny! has Bubbaslub heard about this? Maybe somebody could be good enough to seize control of his fantastic WinXP system that has no flaws at all and is in no way 'shitty'.
Ha Ha Ha!  :D
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Black_Vise

• Kudos: 0
Windows XP
« Reply #33 on: 22 December 2001, 20:34 »
First of all, bubaslubas never wanted to say that WinXP is perfect. Microsoft promises a lot, yes. But go to any security site, and count how many exploits are there for *nix systems. And they too advertised it was "safe". Safer than MS's ones, yes, maybe. Safe, no.

quote:
It bundles in a bunch of low-quality software in an attempt to extend M$'s monopolies and also to push Passport services down your throat.

Why does it bundle low-quality products? Because it once bundled a very nice browser, and Netscape took them to court, ending up in a forced division and a heavy bill to pay (the court decision was overrided some time ago and Microsoft won't be splitted).
If they improved Paint to a top-product, they'd be blaimed by Adobe, Corel, Jasc, etc. You get the point.

Black_Vise

condorstats

Windows XP
« Reply #34 on: 23 December 2001, 02:49 »
I have been using XP for over a week, and its not all its cracked up to be. I mean, its ok, and a big improvment over Win 95, but there is something about it that I dont like, not sure what it is. So, I set about getting as decent Linux Distro. First I sent away for some Mandrake Disks, and when they got here they didnt work, on a number of PC's, but I couldnt be bothered to send them back. I also cant realy d/load the ISO's on as 56K. So I wandered over to Slackware and began downloading file by file. So far everything is ok, but I havent had a chance to install, as I am still downloading. Im sure Linux will be a better OS, as I have used various mini distros to test it out, but its all this d/loading, and bootdisks, and partitons, and shit like that. I dont mind, cos I find it quite fun, but Average Joe with his Win ME PC would Piss himself at the thought. Thats the only major lacking for Linux. It just takes a bit of extra work and effort to get it working. If that could ever be succesfully sorted out, I would prefer Linux much more than I do now.

However I do agree with bubsomething. I do reckon that MS gets there ass kicked for anything. Perhaps a little self control wouldnt go amiss every now and then. (but not too often, cos if anyone needs a kciking) its MS.

condorstats

Windows XP
« Reply #35 on: 23 December 2001, 02:51 »
Just a little note. I had the Mandrake disks for a while, jsut never used then.

sway

Windows XP
« Reply #36 on: 23 December 2001, 02:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by bubaslubas:
OK, has ANY of you guys had contact with XP? I mean, real contact?
It's easiness to use is at a level that has never been achieved on any of the previous versions of Win. It even tied on CNET's deathmatch against OS X (note that CNET has always thrashed Windows when against Mac OS.) OS X is spectacular (I should know, I own a G4) but XP is a darn good try by the Microshit guys (i like them as much as you do, but we have to give credit for their attempt). Just don't thrash the OS just because it's built by M$.
I just wished my os x had mp3 tags support in Finder.
Oh, I really don't care if many of its ideas have been stolen from Apple - just appraise them for having the good-sense of following innovation.

the last version of windows i used was ME, which in my eyes was "okay" - i would only prefer it over older versions of MacOS (9.x). i've heard XP was better than ME, so i guess it can't be that bad, but i'm very happy with OSX so i doubt i'll ever give XP a try.

condorstats

Windows XP
« Reply #37 on: 23 December 2001, 04:11 »
I wish I had paid more attention to Mac. I have just bought my new Athlon System, which of course cannot run X, which I would like to play with.

sway

Windows XP
« Reply #38 on: 23 December 2001, 04:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by condorstats:
I wish I had paid more attention to Mac. I have just bought my new Athlon System, which of course cannot run X, which I would like to play with.

i never payed attention to Apple either, untill i seen the OSX-beta news, and then about a month after i went and got an iMac, but didn't actually start running OSX untill 10.1, and so far i have had no problems with it, besides the fact that Quicktime runs kinda weird on it for me, but i can live with that.

gump420

Windows XP
« Reply #39 on: 23 December 2001, 04:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by condorstats:

A note on terminology. "X" usually means "X-Windows", which can be installed on just about any *NIX system. "OS X" usually means "Mac OS X", which is what you meant. Why the confusion? Well, X-Windows has existed for ages, but would Apple let that stop them from using some silly marketing gimmick? Nah.

quote:
Originally posted by Black Vise:
First of all, bubaslubas never wanted to say that WinXP is perfect. Microsoft promises a lot, yes. But go to any security site, and count how many exploits are there for *nix systems. And they too advertised it was "safe". Safer than MS's ones, yes, maybe. Safe, no.

First of all, the number of security holes in the various *NIX systems is lower than the holes in Winblows by several orders of magnitude. Secondly, *NIX OSes are patched many times faster than Winblows is. Thirdly, you sound like you have a pole stuck up your ass. How does that relate to the debate? It doesn't; I just felt like throwing some mud-slinging into the mix.

quote:
Why does it bundle low-quality products? Because it once bundled a very nice browser, and Netscape took them to court, ending up in a forced division and a heavy bill to pay (the court decision was overrided some time ago and Microsoft won't be splitted).

No, Netscape went out of business. The government sued Microsoft. Why did the government give a shit about Netscape going out of business? They couldn't care less. No, the real story is that the only reason Internet Exploiter is a quality product is because M$ needs a monopoly in WWW browsers in order to make .NET work; the government sued Microsoft for using their monopoly in operating systems to gain a monopoly in browsers, which is exactly what happened you ignorant fuckface. In any case, the abysmal turn of events in said court case since the Republicans gained control of the White House is almost enough to make me turn into a Democrat. Hell, if it weren't for the fact that I believe Bush is right on with the military campaing currently in progress in Afghanistan, then I probably _would_ become a Democrat.

[ December 22, 2001: Message edited by: gump420 ]

I can't get over you until you get out from under him.

bubaslubas

• http://www.colectivopeel.org
Windows XP
« Reply #40 on: 8 January 2002, 08:04 »
Back I am.

I see that the debate continues, and happily for me, it seems to have settled on a much more polite tone.

My opinion of XP has decreased in the last month, mainly because of M$'s attempts to make you pay more, restricting you from using certain features of the OS that were stated "available."
The MP3 issue with WiMP is inexcusable - buy a patch just to be able to encode MP3? And buy ANOTHER patch to encode at more than 56kpbs? NOW THAT IS MONOPOLY AND CONSUMER ASS-FUCKING!

Don't get me wrong, I still think XP is a "darn good try", but it's main fault is the "imperfections" it's "daddy" has put on it.

I'm currently trying to replace XP with Mandrake 8.1 and see how it works - maybe when Micro$hit shows a little bit more respect for the customer i'll give it another try.

Oh, by the way: anyone got comments on that iTunes issue? Damn, that was worthy of M$'s usual blunders. Glad they got it fixed before I downloaded it.
I want the new iMac!

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Windows XP
« Reply #41 on: 8 January 2002, 21:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by bubaslubas:

Don't get me wrong, I still think XP is a "darn good try", but it's main fault is the "imperfections" it's "daddy" has put on it.

Bubaslubas, I am *proud* of you! *Daddy* is the real reason I hate MS so much. I was into MS for a while until I saw what was really going on and just plain made the leap of faith so as not to get caught up in the trap. I still do 4th level support for NT/2K, but I do not enjoy it. I refuse to touch XP just because of *daddy*.  

I certainly hope you give Linux a real effort. It will be painful at first but I can almost bet if you stick with it and put in the effort you will like it.  I'll do whatever I can to help, although I won't be of much help with Mandrake specific issues as I use RedHat primarily (underlying stuff is all the same and I'm more than familiar with anything there).  Welcome aboard?  

P.S. And I stopped calling you Bubbleass.  

[ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

bubaslubas

• http://www.colectivopeel.org
Windows XP
« Reply #42 on: 8 January 2002, 21:56 »
Thank you VoidMain. I have already required your assistance on the Linux forum... Hope you have the availability to help me.

No offense taken with the BubbleAss thing... It's an actually funny mock-up.    
I want the new iMac!

m0rbid

Windows XP
« Reply #43 on: 9 January 2002, 01:12 »
bottom line : windows is for lazy user.

m0rbid

Windows XP
« Reply #44 on: 9 January 2002, 01:16 »
---maybe when Micro$hit shows a little bit more respect for the customer i'll give it another try.---

...don't die waiting tho...