Author Topic: Windows XP  (Read 3873 times)

bubaslubas

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.colectivopeel.org
Windows XP
« on: 17 December 2001, 20:15 »
OK, has ANY of you guys had contact with XP? I mean, real contact?
It's easiness to use is at a level that has never been achieved on any of the previous versions of Win. It even tied on CNET's deathmatch against OS X (note that CNET has always thrashed Windows when against Mac OS.) OS X is spectacular (I should know, I own a G4) but XP is a darn good try by the Microshit guys (i like them as much as you do, but we have to give credit for their attempt). Just don't thrash the OS just because it's built by M$.
I just wished my os x had mp3 tags support in Finder.
Oh, I really don't care if many of its ideas have been stolen from Apple - just appraise them for having the good-sense of following innovation.
I want the new iMac!

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2001, 22:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by bubaslubas:
OK, has ANY of you guys had contact with XP? I mean, real contact?

Well, I couldn't quite talk it into doggy, most I could get was a hand job.

quote:

It's easiness to use is at a level that has never been achieved on any of the previous versions of Win. It even tied on CNET's deathmatch against OS X (note that CNET has always thrashed Windows when against Mac OS.)

A tricycle is easy to use but I prefer to ride a YZ250.  Heaven forbid the tricycles force all the rest out of business and I have to race tricycles.

quote:

OS X is spectacular (I should know, I own a G4) but XP is a darn good try by the Microshit guys (i like them as much as you do, but we have to give credit for their attempt). Just don't thrash the OS just because it's built by M$.

Why not? It sucks, they suck.

quote:

I just wished my os x had mp3 tags support in Finder.
Oh, I really don't care if many of its ideas have been stolen from Apple - just appraise them for having the good-sense of following innovation.

You are pathetic. If Microsoft steals everyone elses ideas which cause everyone else to go out of business what innovation will MS have to follow?

[ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

bubaslubas

Windows XP
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2001, 01:47 »
Wouldn't you wish OS X had MP3TAG support within Finder???  :D

Funny how everyone used to say "I'd rather ride a tricicle than a motorcycle" when referring to OS 9's easiness to use against the complicated Win2000Pro. Now everybody boasts about the geek-like BSD underlayer for X.

Get a life, you asshole.

Oh, and I just TRIED to install Mandrake Linux 8.1... Couldn't resize partitions, didn't find my modem, had trouble with my optical mouse...And asked me for A LOT MORE personal information than XP EVER did.
I want the new iMac!

bubaslubas

Windows XP
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2001, 01:52 »
Oh, and by the way, you said that M$ idea-pilfering runs competition out of the market...
Where the hell did the Dock came from?

Mac OS X on Intel NOW!
I want the new iMac!

CommonSense

• VIP
    • http://www.microsuck.com
Windows XP
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2001, 03:02 »
quote:
Oh, and by the way, you said that M$ idea-pilfering runs competition out of the market...
Where the hell did the Dock came from?

Mac OS X on Intel NOW!

(evil grin)

You make it SO, SO easy for me.

You're going to try and claim the dock is a ripoff of the Windows task bar, aren't you, little man?  I bet you are.

Except that the Windows task bar is a ripoff of two things:  the Mac OS menubar at the top of the screen (in the Mac OS, and the Apple Lisa OS before it, since the early 1980s) and the NeXTSTEP Dock of the late 1980s.

NeXT was purchased by Apple in late 1996.  And at that time, all of NeXT's assets, including the Dock, became property of Apple.

Nice try, sparkie.

I love how you like to shit on Mac OS X, then turn around and demand it for Intel.  Yeah.  No hypocrisy there.

Also:  CNET originally declared OS X the winner in that "deathmatch."  Then, later the same day that article was published on their site, they "mysteriously" changed it to a tie.  How very . . . convenient for Microsoft.

Oh, and yes -- I have "real" contact with XP.  It's on the Dell behind me.  Microsoft has basically put lipstick on a pig; at least OS X's changes go way, WAY beyond just interface.

Sigh.

Jeez, give me a challenge some time, boys.

voidmain

• VIP
Windows XP
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2001, 03:05 »
quote:
Wouldn't you wish OS X had MP3TAG support within Finder???            :D          

Funny how everyone used to say "I'd rather ride a tricicle than a motorcycle" when referring to OS 9's easiness to use against the complicated Win2000Pro. Now everybody boasts about the geek-like BSD underlayer for X.

Hmm, I don't recall ever saying that. Maybe that's why I have never used an Apple or Mac, but I'm certainly not opposed to the idea. And besides, all those people ended up buying Windows.

quote:

Get a life, you asshole.

I get the feeling you work for Microsoft as this happens to be Microsoft's corporate motto. It used to be "Fuck off, dickhead!" but they changed it to appeal more to the masses.

quote:

Oh, and I just TRIED to install Mandrake Linux 8.1... Couldn't resize partitions, didn't find my modem, had trouble with my optical mouse...And asked me for A LOT MORE personal information than XP EVER did.

I guess that's why I like Linux so much. It keeps all the stupid people on Windows which makes supporting Linux *much* easier. I apparently am smarter than your average MS nazi because I have no trouble with any of the things you mention about Linux.  Why do people like you feel so threatened when it comes to little ol' Linux? Hell, MS already dominates so why get so upset?  And if you love MS so much why do you come to a site like this where people like us get much amusement out of picking on little girly MS people like you?

bubaslubas

Windows XP
« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2001, 04:35 »
quote:

Except that the Windows task bar is a ripoff of two things:  the Mac OS menubar at the top of the screen (in the Mac OS, and the Apple Lisa OS before it, since the early 1980s) and the NeXTSTEP Dock of the late 1980s.

Just because they're both bars, doesn't mean that they're equal: The menubar doesn't show running programs (you have to click the finder icon)and you don't have QuickLaunch on the menubar. (By the way, 9.1 showed up with a quicklaunch little bar...Where did THIS came from?)

quote:

NeXT was purchased by Apple in late 1996.  And at that time, all of NeXT's assets, including the Dock, became property of Apple.

Nice try, sparkie.

Precisely. NeXT was a lot like OS X back in the early 1990's, which does not only state that Apple is ALSO a good rip-offer, but also that the revolutionary (and I do mean that) OS is after all almost 10 years old, despite its new Darwin core.

quote:
[/QB]

I love how you like to shit on Mac OS X, then turn around and demand it for Intel.  Yeah.  No hypocrisy there.

If you had bothered to read my replies you would have noticed that i also own a G4 - i don't shit on OS X, I do think it is the BEST OS around, but thrashing XP just because of its "daddy's" sins doesn't sound fair to me.

quote:

Also:  CNET originally declared OS X the winner in that "deathmatch."  Then, later the same day that article was published on their site, they "mysteriously" changed it to a tie.  How very . . . convenient for Microsoft.

OK, I'll just let CNET explain this one...

OS death match
Correction: Some of you may have noticed that in an earlier version of this story, we gave a slight edge to OS X. One of the primary factors behind this decision was the cost of each upgrade as it relates to licensing requirements. Although it is true that OS X lacks a feature like Windows XP's product activation that would bar you from installing it on more than on system, it is still a violation of Apple's end-user licensing agreement to install the upgrade on multiple systems. We regret any misleading information in the initial version, which has now been updated to clarify this issue. (11/2/01)

quote:

Oh, and yes -- I have "real" contact with XP.  It's on the Dell behind me.  Microsoft has basically put lipstick on a pig; at least OS X's changes go way, WAY beyond just interface.

Sigh.

That just shows that you DON'T have contact with WinXP - comprehensive left-side menus, a MUCH better right-click, IDTAG support in Explorer (I just don't get tired of saying this,)...Oh, and if you don't like the lipstick just run it on classic mode...

I'm not in anyway a M$ fan, but I do enjoy XP and think that nobody gave it a chance.
I want the new iMac!

bubaslubas

Windows XP
« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2001, 04:46 »
VoidMain, do you run Mandrake 8.1? Do you use the command line or the "WINDOWS" KDE? Now that's what you'd call a rip-off...But as long as it works OK, I don't see anything wrong in looking like Win...After all, MandrakeSoft had to develop it, it's not like stealing the blueprints from Redmond...

Your brain is not helping to clarify my situation: I am not shitting on Mac OS OR Linux, I'm just stating that XP does NOT deserve all this tomato-throwing.

And let me say this again: Mac OS X on Intel NOW!
I want the new iMac!

bubaslubas

Windows XP
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2001, 05:35 »
Just a quick correction so that you can see that I, for one, admit my mistakes...

The "quicklaunch" bar i was referring to is the Switch App bar. It originated in Mac OS 8.5 (not 9.1,sorry) and is used to switch between apps (clever name, isn't it?)that are ALREADY in use.

However, there is a tweak for this bar so that it can also show apps you often use, thus making it work like a Windows QuickLaunch bar.

Arrogance is NOT the polite way to have a debate (and you sure seem to have a lot of it on you, Webmaster), so here is my recantation.
I want the new iMac!

voidmain

• VIP
Windows XP
« Reply #9 on: 18 December 2001, 06:25 »
quote:
VoidMain, do you run Mandrake 8.1?

No, but I have installed and used it.  In fact I take that back I think I still have it on one server.  I don't particularly care for Mandrake.

quote:

Do you use the command line or the "WINDOWS" KDE?

What, are you only going to let me choose one or the other?  I use both and then some, primarily command line because it's faster and easier on any system, any system that makes good use of it that is.  And I can administer a *NIX box no matter where I am at from any OS (as long as it supports TCP/IP which is any OS connected to the net), without installing any special applications or utilities.

Apparently you don't know the word for it but as far as which Window Manager I prefer when I do use a graphical environment it's "Motif", but that is a commerial Window Manager found on many commercial *NIX.  Although there is a ripoff of Motif for Linux called "lesstiff" it's not mature enough for me yet.
Lately I have been using KDE, but I switch between it, Enlightenment and Window Maker, actually I like running both Enlightenment and Window Maker at the same time, gives some nice features.  Of course when I'm working on Sun I use either Openwindows or CDE.  And no, I don't like Gnome, at least right now, maybe when it gets better.

quote:

Now that's what you'd call a rip-off...But as long as it works OK, I don't see anything wrong in looking like Win...After all, MandrakeSoft had to develop it, it's not like stealing the blueprints from Redmond...

What's a ripoff?  A taskbar in KDE?  Yeah right. Who gives a shit about a taskbar?  I don't use it in KDE *or* in Windows.  I can't stand to use the freakin' mouse if I don't have to.  In KDE I launch everything with ALT+F2 and typing what I want. Just like I use the Run box (<CTRL><ESC>R) in Win*.  I personally don't care about the graphical part of any of the OSs, it's the part that's underneath that makes it work is what I care about.

And I suppose when Microsoft realized there was more than a left button on most people's mice I could say that is a ripoff from *NIX huh?  I was using the right button (and middle button) on *NIX before there was an MS Windows.

I suppose that when Ford built the model T, no one else should have been able to put round wheels on their cars because it would have been a "rip off", let alone the fact Ford wasn't the first person to use round wheels.

quote:

Your brain is not helping to clarify my situation:

You noticed?

quote:

I am not shitting on Mac OS OR Linux, I'm just stating that XP does NOT deserve all this tomato-throwing.

Hmmm, I choose to shit upon XP.  If can't shit upon XP here at http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com/ then I want my money back!

bubaslubas

Windows XP
« Reply #10 on: 18 December 2001, 07:12 »
quote:

You noticed?

Yes, I had already suspected the fact that you seem to use your head simply as a hat-holder, but your previous post blatantly stated it.   :rolleyes:  

quote:

I suppose that when Ford built the model T, no one else should have been able to put round wheels on their cars because it would have been a "rip off", let alone the fact Ford wasn't the first person to use round wheels.

Thank you for proving me right about Mac-user claims about Windows ripoffs. And for making a fool out of yourself -    
quote:

If Microsoft steals everyone elses ideas which cause everyone else to go out of business what innovation will MS have to follow?

Remember this?   :D  

Bottom line: you can show what a Linux-geek you are (and it does seems you know your stuff

;)     )and you can shit on XP as much as you like, but you can't deny this: Linux is a super-rated shitty excuse of an OS - it maybe fine for running critical web services, but for desktop publishing forget it. Develop some good apps like Freehand or Photoshop (not that GIMP crap) and then we'll talk.

[ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: bubaslubas ]

I want the new iMac!

voidmain

• VIP
Windows XP
« Reply #11 on: 18 December 2001, 08:03 »
quote:

but you can't deny this: Linux is a super-rated shitty excuse of an OS - it maybe fine for running critical web services, but for desktop publishing forget it. Develop some good apps like Freehand or Photoshop (not that GIMP crap) and then we'll talk.
[/b]

I *can* deny that, and I do.  Desktop publishing is *not* part of an OS.  I can't help if no one has written a good desktop publishing app for Linux (they may have as far as I know, it's not my bag).  And frankly, I don't care what OS you use as long as you don't tell me I can't use *NIX like Microsoft is trying to do with all their shit.

In fact I have a *better* idea.  Why don't you contribute to the cause and write a good Desktop publishing suite for Linux.  It may not make you rich but it would surely make you famous (and it would make you rich too if you choose).  Why defend the emporor.  Or are you too lazy to pick up a programming manual?

gump420

Windows XP
« Reply #12 on: 18 December 2001, 08:26 »
Okay, let's get this "who stole what from who" thing sorted out.

The Windows task bar. Basically, since each window in Windows has it's own menu bar the task bar rips of anything in the Mac OS's menu bar that Windows didn't have before. The icons beside the clock first appeared on Mac OS; the Start button apes the Apple menu; the quicklaunch bar is a rip-off from the Launcher control panel; and the active window boxes is, I must admit, a simpler implementation of the the little menu in System 7 that showed which applications were running.

Apple has stolen things from Windows, but they by all means should learn from their competitor. Window tabs in OS 8 and up were taken from the Windows task bar way of showing open windows. Allowing you to "tear off" the menu showing open applications could possibly ape the quicklaunch menu in Windows ('cept that the quicklaunch bar apes something entirely different). Contextual menus have been updated. And the way you access networked devices in OS 8 or 8.5 and up is very similar to Windows.

Saying that Apple "rip-offed" the Dock from Next misses the point; Apple now owns the Dock, a nicety M$ may or may not take action on before ripping something off. Apple definitely did not rip-off the Dock from the Windows taskbar, however.
I can't get over you until you get out from under him.

bubaslubas

Windows XP
« Reply #13 on: 18 December 2001, 08:36 »
You got me wrong, VoidMain... Nobody's telling you to stop using Linux.

I'm just stating that you simply can't say that XP is a shitty OS when it's a whole lot better than I-don't-wan't-to-support-this-modem, I-didn't-know-that-monitors-with-resolutions-of-1600x1200-existed Linux...

I am not behind Microsoft's policies, but I am certainly behind what seems to be a very good product...XP.

I DO care a LOT about the graphical interface of my OS (thank Apple for Mac OS because pre-XP versions of Win were pure vomit)- it's a regular tendency among non-geek users.

OK, so what's an OS about? Command-line scripting? App developing?
You tend to emphasize Linux's best features; I tend to do the same with Windows'.

quote:

Why don't you contribute to the cause and write a good Desktop publishing suite for Linux. It may not make you rich but it would surely make you famous (and it would make you rich too if you choose).

OK, whatever.  :rolleyes:  
How about this: I write that desktop publishing suite and you develop a safe web server for windows. I bet both tasks would be utterly impossible...   :D
I want the new iMac!

gump420

Windows XP
« Reply #14 on: 18 December 2001, 08:39 »
Hey, bubsawhatever - device drivers are written by the hardware vendor; Microshaft just has a habit of collecting them and rolling them into Windows. The lack of hardware support under Linux is not the Linux community's fault; fixing it is what they are famous for, however.
I can't get over you until you get out from under him.