Author Topic: Security? What's that?  (Read 404 times)

mxg

• Kudos: 0
Security? What's that?
« on: 2 September 2003, 18:52 »
In my job I'm forced to deal with Windoze and co every day. Unfortunately, the users of our few systems insist on using their favourite software, and can't make do with anything else.

This week, every PC running Windoze (2 x 2k machines, and a muppet in the office who insists on using XP, for its wonderful usability and pretty interface. the guy's a lost cause) died, quite literally. Hmm... I thought, what could all this uninitiated network activity be, and why can't I do anything with the machine? Needless to say, Windoze had invited yet someone else to fuck my PCs up.

I wonder if it has ever occurred to Redmond that if they made the fucking thing secure in the first place, millions of people wouldn't have to keep downloading 80MB of "security updates" each month to keep themselves from getting spiked.

Anyway, enough is enough. I've counted at least 20 reinstalls this year across 3 machines, and I'm fed up. I don't care how many complaints I get; everyone will be using Red Hat from now on.

And if anyone tries to persuade me otherwise... they'll know not to do it again!

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Security? What's that?
« Reply #1 on: 2 September 2003, 20:33 »
glad to hear it. keep us posted how you get on and what responses you get.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Faust

• Kudos: 0
Security? What's that?
« Reply #2 on: 2 September 2003, 21:18 »
Heh heh, that is pretty funny.     Nice to see you have a boss thats actually going to listen to a techies experience in these matters too.  
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html