Author Topic: Internet Exploder, WTF is going on ?  (Read 1797 times)

flap

• Kudos: 137
Internet Exploder, WTF is going on ?
« Reply #45 on: 6 May 2003, 05:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnD1:
if you look at a website often, all the images are saved on the hard drive then loaded from the hard drive....

Wow! What a novel idea! That could be used in all browsers. And they could call the feature... "cache", or something.
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

HibbeeBoy

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #46 on: 6 May 2003, 05:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by Panos:

I know that we're on the same side here HibeeBoy. I still remember some of your older posts.    :D  
It's just that I can't help with IE, honest. I don't use it any more, even on my Win2k machine. Hell, now that I think of it I don't use that bloody Win2k partition either.    :rolleyes:  

As for your problem, I understand perfectly. I know that you're not a magician or anything. If you were you could propably swing you magic wand and switch everyone to Linux. The truth is much more painful however. I realize that it's a real pain in the ass to convince anyone to use anything other than IE, let alone windows. I insist though, that we have to talk to people every now and then about the benefits of open source and free software.    ;)  

I agree with you, it needs to discussed. Sometimes on this board though, there is just a mentality to shout people down with no thought. I suspect that a lot posters on here just don't understand corporate culture. I don't know if anyone even understood what happened during the course of this thread. Look at the number of posts on this thread, one of the busiest threads for some time. Mainly because ZooLoo just wanted to shout me down rather than nurture debate and discussion. I cannot even think about directing my peers to this site under these conditions. I hate M$ as much as the next guy but I can't come in to work on a Monday morning and say, "Right folks, I've never liked Microsoft so I've ditched it for something else." It has to be part of an implentation plan and requires a change to infratructure. I'm pretty much sold on Linux, so the Mozilla issue doesn't solve my long term objectives of removing Microsoft from the picture, I just don't see a big return from beating the users over the head to use Mozilla when they will use Exploder come what may. In fact, I went to one of my "power" users with Mozilla and they pretty much nixed it out of hand.  
It's a tough sell but it can be done and it will take time.
Democracy, it's like three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

ShawnD1

• Kudos: 106
« Reply #47 on: 6 May 2003, 05:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by flap:

Wow! What a novel idea! That could be used in all browsers. And they could call the feature... "cache", or something.

it's one thing mozilla and IE don't have. in Mozilla it loads the images from the webserver every single time. i've never seen the images just appear all at once in an instant like they do in opera, they always load 1 at a time from the server.

flap

• Kudos: 137
« Reply #48 on: 6 May 2003, 05:46 »
Maybe you should email the mozilla dev team and suggest they implement cache?
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #49 on: 6 May 2003, 05:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by HibbeeBoy:

I agree with you, it needs to discussed. Sometimes on this board though, there is just a mentality to shout people down with no thought. I suspect that a lot posters on here just don't understand corporate culture. I don't know if anyone even understood what happened during the course of this thread. Look at the number of posts on this thread, one of the busiest threads for some time. Mainly because ZooLoo just wanted to shout me down rather than nurture debate and discussion. I cannot even think about directing my peers to this site under these conditions. I hate M$ as much as the next guy but I can't come in to work on a Monday morning and say, "Right folks, I've never liked Microsoft so I've ditched it for something else." It has to be part of an implentation plan and requires a change to infratructure. I'm pretty much sold on Linux, so the Mozilla issue doesn't solve my long term objectives of removing Microsoft from the picture, I just don't see a big return from beating the users over the head to use Mozilla when they will use Exploder come what may. In fact, I went to one of my "power" users with Mozilla and they pretty much nixed it out of hand.  
It's a tough sell but it can be done and it will take time.

I agree again and I believe that the key-phrase is in your last sentence, which I'll of course second. That's exactly the reason why we created sites like promote-opensource or openopen. They are of course very new and under intensive construction, that is content-wise, but we really hope on spreading the word. Perhaps you could direct your peers on them, and better yet contribute yourself. Anyway, I'm a bit off subject, but you get my drift (I hope).  

PS I don't believe that zooloo had any intention of shouting you down. I think that he misunderstood your post nothing more.   ;)

Pantso

« Reply #50 on: 6 May 2003, 05:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnD1:

it's one thing mozilla and IE don't have. in Mozilla it loads the images from the webserver every single time. i've never seen the images just appear all at once in an instant like they do in opera, they always load 1 at a time from the server.

That is a HUGE mistake! Of course they cache pages as well as images.   :confused:

HibbeeBoy

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #51 on: 6 May 2003, 21:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by Panos:

I agree again and I believe that the key-phrase is in your last sentence, which I'll of course second. That's exactly the reason why we created sites like promote-opensource or openopen. They are of course very new and under intensive construction, that is content-wise, but we really hope on spreading the word. Perhaps you could direct your peers on them, and better yet contribute yourself. Anyway, I'm a bit off subject, but you get my drift (I hope).  

PS I don't believe that zooloo had any intention of shouting you down. I think that he misunderstood your post nothing more.    ;)  

I will take a look at these sites when time permits. I have bookmarked (In Mozilla mind) for later. I took a few minutes to review Part 1 of your Linux admin.

Thanks for your input,

HibeeBoy   ;)
Democracy, it's like three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #52 on: 6 May 2003, 22:32 »
well, promote-opensource.org is the only one i think is really ready for prime time, but if you (or anybody else) want to help behind the scenes and make it all happen faster, do come and sign up at www.openopen.cjb.net
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Pantso

« Reply #53 on: 7 May 2003, 00:50 »
Damn, I was so tired as I was writing the previous message that I forgot to mention the openopen forums. Thanks for reminding Calum. I feel a bit ashamed now. The openopen page will take some time, as it is planned to be a bigger page than promote-opensource.org.