Author Topic: Anyone know what this is?  (Read 625 times)

acranea

• Kudos: 0
Anyone know what this is?
« on: 23 May 2003, 07:05 »
I guess this is a cry for help!?
Here's the story...I got an e-mail marked from "[email protected]" it consisted of an attachment.When i clicked to open it i got the "windows cannot open this file" msg.I tracked it & found it to be a .PIF file.Never heard of it so i deleted it.Filext told me it was a file that gives coded instructions to Windows,which can be anything & classified it as dangerous (groan!)It also says it can be activated by just clicking it,doesnt have to open apparently (bigger groan!!).I immediately thought "no way this can be GOOD news" So i ran antivirus & spyware scans...nothing.But then...logged into an MSN chatroom later in the day &...a nice little msg @ the top of the chat screen that read "Note:-MSN has determined that you are connected to this chatroom from...(my IP address)! I've NEVER seen this msg before,its too much of a coincidence that this happened the same day i received the mysterious file.Are the Seattle scum tracking my access? Is this even legal? If they tapped my phone i could sue them for millions,how is this any different? If anyone has any info about this i'd be grateful for some feedback,especially if anyone knows how i can disable their little "gift" but just a clue as to whats going on would be helpful.
Thanks.

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2003, 07:20 »
well look right here first. and that will answer your question on the e-mail, as for the M$N chat, probably just a new feature implementted in it from our good friends M$. don't worry it is all client side, and thus only vis. on your PC, nothing big.

EDIT: or ditch wind0ze altogether by getting a linux iso right here.  because this (like most other) virus is exclusive to the Windows platform

[ May 22, 2003: Message edited by: [email protected]ldomain ]

2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2003, 21:54 »
*Beats himself with a stick.*

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2003, 21:56 »
I can't belive people are dumb enugh to just click on any unsolicited e-mail. When was the last time M$ ever sent you something in the mail? jeez, some people are dumb.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Darkheim

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2003, 11:59 »
Last weeks I got many mails from '[email protected]', but: 1. I never open mail from unknown adresses and 2. I will never open a mail from Microsoft  :D
I guess the best solution is to wipe the entire hdd, repartition and install redhat   ;)
In a free and open society, why would we need Windows or Gates?!

Maniaman

« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2003, 20:19 »
And as usual, only the Windows operating systems are afffected.
I use my hotmail email on here to keep from begin spammed by trolls. If you want my good email address for something then ask... :)

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2003, 20:42 »
i haven't recieved that email yet.
i second Darkheim's suggestion. Red Hat would be the best choice in this situation.

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2003, 22:09 »
I dunno. I'd suggest a Speak 'n Spell, but I'm evil.

billy_gates

• http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2003, 20:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by acranea:
Are the Seattle scum tracking my access? Is this even legal? If they tapped my phone i could sue them for millions,how is this any different?

If you signed a contract saying that they could tap your phones you couldn't sue them.  Same goes with agreeing to their EULA that most likely says that they can tap into your computer.