Author Topic: 2000 Server Review  (Read 792 times)

dbl221

• Kudos: 0
2000 Server Review
« on: 2 April 2002, 09:31 »
Picture this...5 comp-sys students sitting around a geeks room working on their Network Design presentation.....now imagine these same geeks try to install a usb printer.....now when they click on the  next button to select the driver....I think you know what is comming next.

Yep the KERNEL dies....not the usb subsystem or the install a new driver thingie.....no the fucking NTKERN....pathetic.
dbl221***Comp-Sys walking wounded

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
2000 Server Review
« Reply #1 on: 2 April 2002, 09:46 »
Should've stuck with a WinPrinter  :D    :D    :D  

Powered by Mandrake Linux and Freedom
Computers are like air conditioners: they can't do their jobs if you open windows
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

silverking

2000 Server Review
« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2002, 08:15 »
I keep hearing that XP sucks.  Even the some of the profs at the IT college I attend say IT sucks.  But Microsoft is so entrenched in our society who or what is big or strong enough to uproot it and toss it on the trash?

silverking

2000 Server Review
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2002, 08:19 »
The the prof of the server 2000 class I took recently at my IT college extolled the virtues of server 2000 over NT.  So who/what can get users to cast aside their server 2000?

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
2000 Server Review
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2002, 08:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by silverking:
I keep hearing that XP sucks.  Even the some of the profs at the IT college I attend say IT sucks.  But Microsoft is so entrenched in our society who or what is big or strong enough to uproot it and toss it on the trash?

I'll tell you who. Their customer. As soon as their customers stop using their products guess what?  No more Microsoft. I've vowed not to spend another dime on MS. That goes for Software, Hardware with an MS name on it, PDAs & cell phones if they have embedded MS garbage or anything else that would somehow benefit MS.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

voidmain

• VIP
2000 Server Review
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2002, 08:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by silverking:
The the prof of the server 2000 class I took recently at my IT college extolled the virtues of server 2000 over NT.  So who/what can get users to cast aside their server 2000?

Well, I don't know how many people there are out there like me but I can tell you one thing. I have replaced quite a few NT/2000 servers with Linux at several companies.

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
2000 Server Review
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2002, 08:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by VoidMain:

I'll tell you who. Their customer. As soon as their customers stop using their products guess what?  No more Microsoft. I've vowed not to spend another dime on MS. That goes for Software, Hardware with an MS name on it, PDAs & cell phones if they have embedded MS garbage or anything else that would somehow benefit MS.

I'm sure the loss of one paying customer isn't going to harm a company who has billions of other paying customers out there.

To the guy who heard XP sucks. It only sucks for people who dont know how to configure and tweak a computer. Hell, I fixed a ladies computer for $50 the other day because after she installed XP her computer kept locking up. Guess what was wrong with it? All it needed was a simple BIOS update. I've said this before and I'll say it again.....computer problems are not caused by faulty OSes..they are caused by faulty user experience. People can not blame an OS for thier computer problems because there is always a way to get it running properly. The truth is, I bet those IT techs didn't even bother to update the BIOS in thier lab computers and it is a well known fact to the tech sauvy that a BIOS update is usually needed before the installation of XP(especially on computers with a VIA chipset) because most motherboards have XP fixes in the updated BIOS.

You may say that it sucks that people need to update thier BIOS to use XP, but there is a reason behind the XP problems with old BIOSes. The reasoning is most OEM computers and retail motherboards are shipped with a BIOS that is configured to run Win9x properly(because it has been the consumer OS for years). WindowsXP is not Win9x...it is NT. NT and Win9x do not access all of the IRQ's, the I/O functions of devices, etc. the same. Now that NT is becoming a consumer level OS and will get stronger in the consumer market as .NET advances in the future most motherboards will be NT ready.

[ April 15, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

voidmain

• VIP
2000 Server Review
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2002, 21:10 »
You are correct, the loss of one customer won't effect them but the loss of *all* of their customers would effect them. And I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's not because of their crappy software that they will lose those customers. It's because of their crappy business practices.

Slacker

2000 Server Review
« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2002, 06:37 »
The problems are related to hardware issues...   granted the kernel shouldnt crash EVER ( well almost never. ).   But this is why people usually have problems with win2k or xp otherwise.   Win2k adv server is a rock if configured properly with the right hardware.  Never crash.  9x on the other hand is beyond rediculous.

[ April 17, 2002: Message edited by: Slacker ]

[ April 17, 2002: Message edited by: Slacker ]