Author Topic: What are these?  (Read 401 times)

Kupotek

• Kudos: 0
    • http://kupotek.dyndns.org
What are these?
« on: 27 May 2003, 03:24 »
In my c:\windows folder i have these  dat files  called

{3CBE84CC-C6B4-476A-8D9D-EC6A9E4EFDDD}.dat

with varying filenames.. what are these?
"The only thing that is impossible is the possibility of impossibility" KittySafe Ntwrk.

Kupotek

• http://kupotek.dyndns.org
What are these?
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2003, 03:49 »
I figured since most of my other windows boxen friends dont have them that they are one of  M$'s  marvbelous little  pointless files, or perhaps even a  DISK1 DISK2 verifier file.  It is amazing how much  poiuntless files  Windows makes, I think  a thorough cleaning saved me over 2 gigs last night.

It  really  bugs me though that Microsoft prioritizes  branching out before securing what already is, sounds like the American Government ideal.
"The only thing that is impossible is the possibility of impossibility" KittySafe Ntwrk.

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
What are these?
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2003, 10:55 »
quote:
In my c:\windows folder i have these dat files called

{3CBE84CC-C6B4-476A-8D9D-EC6A9E4EFDDD}.dat

with varying filenames.. what are these?
Not 100% sure, but I think that they have something to do with the registry. It does look like a registry key.

Of course, Winderz couldn't do the logical thing, like store all the config data in plain text files and put them in a central directory like /etc. That's how Linux handles the configuration problem.

Of course, that would be too easy and too common sensical, so Winderz uses a monstrousity called the "registry".    

"There: now you'll never have to look at those dirty Windows anymore"
      --Daffy Duck
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

TheKnifeThrower

What are these?
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2003, 12:49 »
Those things are found in the CLSID branch of the registry. CLSID stands for CLaSs IDentifiers. If you have found a file called {3CBE84CC-C6B4-476A-8D9D-EC6A9E4EFDDD}.dat then try searching for {3CBE84CC-C6B4-476A-8D9D-EC6A9E4EFDDD} in the registry and see what it says for that entry.