Author Topic: OpenGL vs Direct3D  (Read 397 times)

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
OpenGL vs Direct3D
« on: 22 April 2003, 12:41 »
Hey all, does anyone know of some good web pages which discuss the pros and cons of OpenGL and Direct3D on the Windows platform only?  Things like ease of programming, stability, cost, and performance would be of interest (for example).  Cross-platform capabilities are not (OpenGL wins there no-brainer).  

This is a question I've been interested in for a while.  I always thought that OpenGL was better overall, with the D3D advantage being in the number of cards supported.  Well now it seems like it works the opposite.  Most cards have OpenGL capabilities but the D3D API is constantly changing and few cards have hardware support for the latest versions (e.g. DX9), so why use D3D at all?
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
OpenGL vs Direct3D
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2003, 16:47 »
Many Windows games need OpenGL, like UT2003, Quake 2 (and all games that has the Quake 2 engine, like Half-Life and Tribes 2), Quake 3 (and all games that has the Quake 3 engine, like Medal of Honor), etc.

D3D had more effects, details and anti-aliasing rate then OpenGL a few years ago, but OpenGL has catched up, and provides the same detail that D3D delivers, except that D3D has a higher anti-alias rate.

theangelofdeath69

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.kaltemartech.com/
OpenGL vs Direct3D
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2003, 14:48 »
And unfortunately, any game either made by Microsoft or "playable on Zone.com" such as Asheron's Call absolutely DEMAND direct3d or directdraw.

Sorry, but if you intend to play the whole shebang, you can't dump Directx
Specifications are for the weak and timid!
You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!
Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!
What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak.
A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment on his code!
Klingon software does NOT have BUGS. It has FEATURES, and those features are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.
You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!