Author Topic: 2 product keys & can't activate XP  (Read 787 times)

Roshbo

• Kudos: 0
2 product keys & can't activate XP
« on: 17 July 2003, 10:20 »
Bought XP Home put it in the desktop. Bought a laptop with XP Home on it 2 yrs ago, it died so i threw it away decided to but xp on second desktop since i had an extra product key from the laptop. could not activate it called ms and they said sorry you can only use it on the laptop....freaking nice now i have $1000.00 product kay i can't use.

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2003, 10:28 »
did they say why? Did u agree to anything saying that it could only be used on the laptop? if not a lawsuit might be in order, after lots of bitching though. sorry to be short, gotta go though.

Roshbo

« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2003, 10:38 »
They said since the os came with the laptop then it was an OEM version and could only be used on that laptop. I said thats bull I'm sitting here talking to you holding two bought and paid for product keys, one came from the store and one came with the laptop, which has been destroyed. The rep. said look I've already went out of my way by putting you on hold two times and seeking advise from my supervisor, there is nothing we can do. I said I want my money back for the key I can not use and was told to talk to the people where I bought the laptop.

Stilly

• Kudos: 29
    • http://kickassshit.tk/
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2003, 11:00 »
that guy sounds like an asshole
just say know

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2003, 11:03 »
damn. that should be enough to use another os. What do you do with your machine Roshbo? have you considered using Red Hat or Mandrake linux?

fucking microsoft and their puppet resellers. I ran into a similar problem at work a while ago. my bosses new machine came with xp, 2 activation keys, and we had to reinstall. whoops. looks like that other key didn't work. we had to deal with ms for like a week t get another key. I coldn't imagine trying to get my money back for it. I wish you the best of luck, and hopefully it doesn'y go to court. Or maybe it should go to court. some media exposure about this would probably be to the benefit of all of us. well, those of us who have to deal wih this shit at work.

[ July 17, 2003: Message edited by: ecsyle:951 ]

Roshbo

« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2003, 11:19 »
Yeah that guy was a real butt wipe....

Funny you should mention another OS today I downloaded Mandrake Linux 9.1 and installed it on the computer, it runs FANTASTIC!!! I think I'll keep it on there and play around with it more.

I would love taking ms to court over this but I don't have near enough the resources to do that. Hopefully Mandrake Linux will run good enough for me  so I can just throw away all the microsoft stuff I have.

avello500

• http://www.suicidaltendencies.com/
« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2003, 11:40 »
How can you say im crazy? You wouldnt know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch.  -- mike muir/suicidal tendencies

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #7 on: 17 July 2003, 14:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by Stryker:
did they say why? Did u agree to anything saying that it could only be used on the laptop? if not a lawsuit might be in order, after lots of bitching though. sorry to be short, gotta go though.

you guys are off before the starter has fired. You can clearly see by reading the EULA for windowsXP that you can use your copy of windows ONLY on the first PC it was installed on. There's nothing you can do. you signed this right away by purchasing or installing windows XP, now you pay the price.

quote:
Except as otherwise expressly provided in this EULA, you may install, use, access, display and run only one (1) copy of the SOFTWARE on the COMPUTER. The SOFTWARE may not be used by more than one (1) processor at any one time on the COMPUTER, unless a higher number is indicated on the Certificate of Authenticity.

that's just a sample, the XP EULA is filled with 4 pages of this tripe.

people who pay for windows deserve to get burned, not because i wish them ill but because if they are willing to buy microsoft then it will take an experience like this to make them see the light.

your choices:
a) keep paying for microsoft and get more of the same treatment
or
b) get a real operating system and leave the other windoids behind.

[ July 17, 2003: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

jasonlane

• http://www.root10.net
« Reply #8 on: 17 July 2003, 16:36 »
Unbelievable, just read through XP home EULA. Who would want to have anything to do with a company that behaves like that.

Disgusting   :mad:
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

Roshbo

« Reply #9 on: 17 July 2003, 18:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:

that's just a sample, the XP EULA is filled with 4 pages of this tripe.

people who pay for windows deserve to get burned, not because i wish them ill but because if they are willing to buy microsoft then it will take an experience like this to make them see the light.

your choices:
a) keep paying for microsoft and get more of the same treatment
or
b) get a real operating system and leave the other windoids behind.

Calum,

In response to my choices:

A) I have learnt a leason here and will not pay for any ms shit.

B) I'm trying Mandrake Linux 9.1 is this the "real OS" you speak of or should I be looking elsewhere?

bwid_s_01

« Reply #10 on: 17 July 2003, 18:45 »
quote:
you can use your copy of windows ONLY on the first PC it was installed on

Yea that's true. But after all, nobody cares about that. Just install Windoze XP wherever you want and find a crack for it online. It's such shit it's not worth paying for anyway. BTW I suggest you use Win2000 if you can. It's much better.

Can you imagine buying a DVD with a license that says you can only watch it on one TV????
OR can you imagine buying a car with a license that says you can only drive it in one city???

Fuck microsoft!

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #11 on: 17 July 2003, 21:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by Roshbo:

Calum,

B) I'm trying Mandrake Linux 9.1 is this the "real OS" you speak of or should I be looking elsewhere?

i would say you found a "real os  

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #12 on: 18 July 2003, 05:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Stiller:
that guy sounds like an asshole

The tech support guy is just saying what his bosses have told him to.

MS has said that using an OEM product on another computer is piracy, even if it has been uninstalled from the first PC or if the first PC has been destroyed.  Is it really piracy or dishonest?  NO, but it means less $$ for microsoft and it seems like anything which means less $$ for microsoft, RIAA, or the MPAA must be considered piracy in their eyes.

Which brings up an interesting question.. what if you upgrade the original PC?  If you install a new hard disk, network card, or motherboard/processor, does it become a "new computer" according to MS?

Yet another reason why I just said "no" to XP and its messed up activation scheme.

[ July 17, 2003: Message edited by: M. O'Brien ]

In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

emh

« Reply #13 on: 18 July 2003, 08:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by Roshbo:

Calum,

Yes, Mandrake 9.1 is the real OS Calum speaks of.    ;)

Roshbo

« Reply #14 on: 18 July 2003, 10:44 »
Well guys day 2 with Mandrake and so far so good.
For the most part we have been able to do everything in Linux that we did in Windows, Just taking a little time going through ALL the programs that come with it...man there are a bunch.

Iam however getting an UNPAID copy of win 2ooo for 2 reasons:
1. My own little jab at ms

2. Just in case I need it