Author Topic: 64-bit Windows?  (Read 644 times)

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
64-bit Windows?
« on: 24 September 2003, 00:17 »
It turns out that microsoft is off to make their OS 64-bit, attempt to seem just as good as the competition, and give another reason for everyone to "upgrade".

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
64-bit Windows?
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2003, 01:25 »
I thought Microsoft already made "Windows XP 64". But yeah, a little too late, because you can run Linux on 64-bit processors already.

jasonlane

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.root10.net
64-bit Windows?
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2003, 01:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by M51DPS:
It turns out that microsoft is off to make their OS 64-bit, attempt to seem just as good as the competition, and give another reason for everyone to "upgrade".

And all in the name of 64 bitidness (didn't we have a "new words" thread here?). Well just as long as everyone realises that M$ didn't get there first, actually not even Apple can claim that one.

Well just bigger buffer overruns, that can instigate even more complex and daring virii and trojans.

Welcome my Wintel ® dependant friends to the world of 64 bits.

;)

[ September 23, 2003: Message edited by: Zardoz ]

The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

lukiz

64-bit Windows?
« Reply #3 on: 2 October 2003, 05:12 »
microsoft have had a 64-bit operating system for 2 years, dickhead. It's called Windows XP 64-bit
Luke

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
64-bit Windows?
« Reply #4 on: 2 October 2003, 10:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by lukiz:
microsoft have had a 64-bit operating system for 2 years, dickhead. It's called Windows XP 64-bit

Trollish behavior is not tolerated. I didn't delete your post this time. Next time, try to backup your claims with links and factual information, or face the wrath of the mods, dickhead.

quote:
September 23, 2003
Microsoft Betas Windows XP 64-Bit on AMD64
By Thor Olavsrud

Following through on a promise it made in April as AMD rolled out its Opteron 64-bit processors as a precursor to today's Athlon release, Microsoft (Quote, Chart) Tuesday launched a beta of its Windows XP operating system designed to support 64-bit Extended Systems.

64-Bit for 2 years? Try one week.

I did find some info on windows 2000 64 bit, only it was all about the eventual release of a beta windows 2000 64bit edition. I found nothing on Microsofts site about it. I figure it never was released and was merely vapor ware.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
64-bit Windows?
« Reply #5 on: 2 October 2003, 17:20 »
quote:
lukizp: microsoft have had a 64-bit operating system for 2 years, dickhead. It's called Windows XP 64-bit

Congratulations! You paid attention. You can expect an A from me now.

The article was indeed about making Windows for AMD's 64-bit processors, and not Intel's 64-bit processors which was already supported by Windows.

madluther

jasonlane

• http://www.root10.net
64-bit Windows?
« Reply #7 on: 2 October 2003, 19:02 »
The point is that on the box and start up screen it will say 64 somewhere. That's what's important.

(read with extreme sarcasm)

Hey just noted that.....

Windows Product Activation (WPA)

Is not active, hmmmm. Isn't that going to cause them no end of agony. Will this mean that you just can't install ANY apps the require (WPA) or get away with not activating them. I assume the former rather than the latter applies.

Anyway, Hahahaha.    :D

[ October 02, 2003: Message edited by: Zardoz ]

The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

madluther

64-bit Windows?
« Reply #8 on: 2 October 2003, 19:34 »
I was tempted to add the following to my signature, but its now out of date  :D

quote:

"Windows - A thirty two bit extension and gui shell to a sixteen bit
patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit
microprocessor and sold by a two bit company that can't stand one bit
of competition."

Mad.

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
64-bit Windows?
« Reply #9 on: 2 October 2003, 20:47 »
Well i guess you can't say that there isn't any software that really takes advantage of the 64 bit processors.  I'm betting in the next 4 months the market is going to explode with software that supports 64 bit.
All your base are belong to us.

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
64-bit Windows?
« Reply #10 on: 3 October 2003, 03:45 »
There will be a ton of 64-bit apps for windows and Mac soon, now that there's the G5. But it's still just microsoft playing catch up to be equal with everyone else. Even so, I bet it will probably still have a 32-bit aspects. Like DOS still being used all that time. You could try something like the following.

quote:
Windows - A sixty four bit imitation stuck on a thirty two bit extension and gui shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.