Author Topic: No More Linux for You!  (Read 2058 times)

actualfact

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
No More Linux for You!
« on: 3 December 2001, 22:52 »
..from the newest win2000mag..

Dell:  No More Linux for You!

Market leader Dell revealed that it will no longer preinstall Linux on any of its desktop PCs.  Dell's Jim Mazzola uttered the words we've known were true for so long: "Not that many customers are using Linux for their desktop systems.  We're a customer demand-driven company, so as we see customer demand in certain areas, that's where we opt to sell certain producers or services."  Anyone who's suprised by this turn of events needs a reality check.

Mexico: No More Linux for You, Either!

And speaking of withering interest in Linux, the Mexican government's plan to equip its vast but underfinanced school system with computers running Linux has turned into a huge win for Microsoft. Mexico's RedEscolar project, which launched in 1998, has put computers in 4500 schools, but after 2 years, only 20 of those machines run Linux—the majority run Windows 98. Mexico blames a lack of Linux expertise and hardware incompatibilities.

and. . in other news. .

Microsoft Gives Kids' Charity Cold Shoulder

The Australian charity organization PCs for Kids reacted angrily to Microsoft's attempt to prevent it from distributing obsolete copies of MS-DOS and Windows, on recycled computers, to underprivileged children. Instead, Microsoft offered to donate 150 copies of Windows 95 and 10 refurbished computers to the charity, which took the size of the donation as a slap in the face. "I am ashamed at this half-hearted offer by Microsoft," PCs for Kids founder Colin Bayes said. I'm ashamed, too. And knowing Microsoft, the Win95 copies that the company offered are probably those nonbootable versions without Internet Explorer (IE) that the company designed to meet Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson's ruling a few years ago.

Shizit4u

No More Linux for You!
« Reply #1 on: 4 December 2001, 04:41 »
they aren't rich cuz they give generously to charities=P
If you think microsoft is evil, you've never used a macintosh=P

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
No More Linux for You!
« Reply #2 on: 5 December 2001, 12:11 »
"And speaking of withering interest in Linux..."

This isn't true. Linux people tend to be more tech-savvy than the run-of-the-mill Dell customer. Most either build their own systems, or buy from smaller shops that specialize in custom systems. Linux people aren't likely to shop Dell, knowing that Dell systems aren't going to be Linux-friendly anyway, they'll just have to remove WinModems, etc. So why bother?
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

ssean

No More Linux for You!
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2001, 00:33 »
tru

triploop

No More Linux for You!
« Reply #4 on: 15 December 2001, 13:11 »
More and more Winmodems are being supported in Linux.  Almost all new hardware is being supported by Linux.  I dare you to buy a new system and load Linux and have trouble with hardware.  Linux would be a better choice than Windows 98!  Anything based on Windows 95 is pretty horrible.  This includes 95, 95 OSR2, 98, 98SE and ME.  Windows NT, 2000 and XP are different, though.

ravuya

• VIP
No More Linux for You!
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2002, 01:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by jtpenrod:

This isn't true. Linux people tend to be more tech-savvy than the run-of-the-mill Dell customer.

Is that ever true. If I had a penny for each time I had this conversation:

ME (talking to someone): "So I use a Mac."
SOMEONE ELSE ENTIRELY: "Macs suck!"
ME: "Well, what do you use, Mr. I'm A Fucking Genius?"
S.E.E.: "I use a Dell! It has 600 mega gigahertz! With 40 gigabytes of memory!"
ME: "Well then, I should just bow to your obvious technical superiority and let you dictate what I should purchase and use for my computing platform, then."
S.E.E.: "I told you Macs suck."
ME: "Damn, you are stupid, aren't you?"
S.E.E.: "THERE ARE NO GAMES FOR MAC!!!"
ME: "And that matters to someone like me... how?"
ORIGINAL PERSON I WAS TALKING TO: *groaning*

[ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: Ravuya ]

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
No More Linux for You!
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2002, 02:37 »
Macs Suck!    just kidding...
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
No More Linux for You!
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2002, 16:37 »
ha ha!

I tried to install Linux on my nice new laptop, and it wouldn't install the bloody stuff for the display, so only command line for me,
still, i tried to install win98 after that, and had about an hour trying to sort out all the peripherals. The modem, and the PC card slot were both beyond my abilities to install under win98, and after a couple of weeks trying to get the damn thing to work right, it totally failed to detect the CDRW drive at all!
so while linux sucked a bit on my new machine, windows, once agin, sucked louder and longer...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
No More Linux for You!
« Reply #8 on: 30 January 2002, 16:38 »
by the way, anybody got any update on that PCs for Kids thing? i'm quite interested.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
No More Linux for You!
« Reply #9 on: 9 December 2003, 01:23 »
I dug this thread up, because I think we need to be reminded of this one:

quote:
Microsoft Gives Kids' Charity Cold Shoulder

The Australian charity organization PCs for Kids reacted angrily to Microsoft's attempt to prevent it from distributing obsolete copies of MS-DOS and Windows, on recycled computers, to underprivileged children. Instead, Microsoft offered to donate 150 copies of Windows 95 and 10 refurbished computers to the charity, which took the size of the donation as a slap in the face. "I am ashamed at this half-hearted offer by Microsoft," PCs for Kids founder Colin Bayes said. I'm ashamed, too. And knowing Microsoft, the Win95 copies that the company offered are probably those nonbootable versions without Internet Explorer (IE) that the company designed to meet Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson's ruling a few years ago.

Charitable.  Uh-huh.  :mad:
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
No More Linux for You!
« Reply #10 on: 9 December 2003, 03:33 »
quote:

This isn't true. Linux people tend to be more tech-savvy than the run-of-the-mill Dell customer.

Linux people are probably more tech-savvy than the run-of-the-mill Dell tech support person.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

1mck

No More Linux for You!
« Reply #11 on: 9 December 2003, 16:33 »
NO INTEREST IN LINUX FOR DELL!!!!????

First, I work in the Tech Industry...Tech Support for High Speed Internet, and I have to tell you that 99% of the people don't even know how to "Right Click!!!!!!!" My God...I spend half of my time teaching these people how to use their computers in the first place. In Fact, I had to remotely control this one old man's computer who did not even know how to e-mail, and taught him how to reply and even to bloody type his goddamn name, which was way out of scope for what I was supposed to do, but I still had to foster customer loyalty, and I took a hit on my average handling time (Yes, I'm under a deadline to resolve these moron's issues!). Yes, the man was grateful, and blessed me, but the point that I'm trying to make here is that the only distro for Linux that these idiots could possibly use is Lindows, which would be a hell of a lot easier to use than Microsoft products!!! We all know that Microsuck is behind this, and Dell is probably getting a HUGE kick back from Microsuck right now!!! $$$$$ talks.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
No More Linux for You!
« Reply #12 on: 9 December 2003, 19:44 »
HP has Mandrake Linux 9.2 pre-installed on some of it's desktop computers.

Dell pre-installes Red Hat Linux Enterprise on most of it's server computers.

1mck

No More Linux for You!
« Reply #13 on: 9 December 2003, 19:53 »
HP??!!!LOLOL I used to work for them doing tech support for their printers...you should have heard the wreck of the calls we would get, but HP will soon follow suit with Dell because Microsoft does not want to lose it's foot hold, and is unwilling to even concede one square inch that will impede with it's domination on the computer industry. It is sad, but they will be offered huge kick backs to do the same as Dell. Once again, $$$$ will talk to them also.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
No More Linux for You!
« Reply #14 on: 10 December 2003, 00:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Refalm:
HP has Mandrake Linux 9.2 pre-installed on some of it's desktop computers.

I looked, all they have is Mandrake 9.1.  (Then again what's the difference?  :D )

However I don't see HP being that good with Linux, since they offer a WinModem as an upgrade for a Linux-only model.   :rolleyes:
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez