Author Topic: Shitty m$ie6  (Read 936 times)

Ailean

• Kudos: 0
Shitty m$ie6
« on: 21 July 2003, 19:18 »
I use my win98se only for gaming, and some other apps for wich I haven't found a Linux-equivalent, but ever since I was FORCED to install m$ie6, the damn boxed accesses my hd every 2 seconds, even when no (exept m$ie ofcourse) apps are running.

Even worse is that from the moment m$ didn't provide support anymore for win98, EVERYTHING started crashing, and I was unable to install new apps. THEN I decided to mess with my BIOS, I ONLY changed the hardware clock to 1998, and suddenly, everything worked fine. Has any1 else encountered the same shitty stuff??
Linux requires more knowledge and competence than Windows, But a harley requires more knowledge and competence than a tricycle, you decide wich one you'd rather have on the road.

Meshuggener

Shitty m$ie6
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2003, 21:22 »
Although it makes sense that MS would stop supporting 98SE and perhaps screw with the OS through IE6 (to get you to upgrade to XP) - I really doubt it's true, probably just coincidence.  Lets face it, 98 is built on top of DOS and with FAT32 filesystem, something is bound to break sooner or later.  Believe me, once you find a Linux distro that you like, you'll be glad you'll never have to worry about what's going on in the system or what Microsloth has in plan for MS users.  My suggestion would be to really give Linux a shot and if you absolutely need Windows (many people don't) you can always dual-boot with 98SE (use the Mozilla browser instead of IE - it works better, has better features, and doesn't spy on you) or preferably Win2k.  If you want to try Linux, there's many people on this board and many others (linuxquestions.org) that use Linux and would be happy to help you.

Ailean

Shitty m$ie6
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2003, 21:41 »
I'm already on dual boot (SuSE & 98se) for at least 5 years. And I know other ppl in my family who encountered the SAME problem, that's why I asked here. Just to know if there are a LOT of ppl having this problem.

My browser usage: Opera7, sometimes Netscape

[ July 21, 2003: Message edited by: Ailean ]

Linux requires more knowledge and competence than Windows, But a harley requires more knowledge and competence than a tricycle, you decide wich one you'd rather have on the road.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Shitty m$ie6
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2003, 22:04 »
If you must use windows, maybe use something a little better than 98. Maybe use win2k? Or just reinstall 98, install mozilla, and never use IE again.

What apps can you not find for linux?

[ July 21, 2003: Message edited by: ecsyle:951 ]

ErwinJ

Shitty m$ie6
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2003, 01:01 »
Go to the 98lite site and d/l both 98lite and IEradicator. That should (let you) get rid of IE (and the way it's embedded in the OS), Outlook Xpress, MP6 and all that other shite.

That what I used to wean my 98 installation off the Redmond tit. And the best thing: It's more stable then any other MS OS (that I know of, anyway). And no nead to worry about rge 'really hidden' files no more.

Ailean

Shitty m$ie6
« Reply #5 on: 22 July 2003, 18:09 »
98Lite is demo, IEradicator isn't as powerfull as before, the powerfull functions are now included with 98Lite, BUT I'm gonna try it

ErwinJ

Shitty m$ie6
« Reply #6 on: 22 July 2003, 21:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ailean:
98Lite is demo

Yeah, I know. But the free version is enough to 'dis-embed' all you want to get rid off.

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
Shitty m$ie6
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2003, 02:24 »
I think he "needs" ie6 for some program he has. I wouldn't pay the money to upgrade to win2k, rather drop windows. being forced to upgrade is retarded. What program have you not found an alternative for? If there truely is no alternative for it, perhaps what you are using isn't the best option, even for windows.