Author Topic: Happy Personal Firewall Day!  (Read 2875 times)

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Happy Personal Firewall Day!
« on: 15 January 2004, 03:17 »
Tomorrow is the new Personal Firewall Day, according to Microsoft. MS and another company are declaring tomorrow, 1/15, Personal Firewall Day. They will unveil a new website and focus on educating users about using Firewall software and antivirus software.

quote:
The Web site is simple, with few graphics and no advanced features such as a search engine or online tutorials. It has a simple menu of text links to topics such as "Why You Need Protection," "Personal Firewall," and "Anti-Virus Software."

I can answer that last question. Why do we need to use firewalls and anti-virus software? Simple! Because we want them to hog our CPUs and resources, making PCs slower, so that we'd eventually get sick of it and go buy a new faster PC.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1212&e=6&u=/pcworld/20040114/tc_pcworld/114318&sid=95612658

[ January 14, 2004: Message edited by: xeen ]

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2004, 05:03 »
Well it is better then having viruses and h4x0rs hog our processors.

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2004, 05:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by X11: doogee.is.dreaming.org:
Well it is better then having viruses and h4x0rs hog our processors.

True, but what I meant is if you get a virus they say "oh well its your fault because you weren't running an antivirus program" instead of "its MS's fault because they dont write and test software well enough so we wouldnt have to use antivirus programs."

You can run a MacOS or Linux just fine with like a 1% chance of getting a virus. With Windows, theres a 90% chance you'll get one.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2004, 06:13 »
Good point, Microsoft dont have much in the way of firewalls, the only reason they would advertise third party stuff is so they can get everyone into the firewall craze, and then realease a Microsoft Firewall suite or somthing.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2004, 06:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by xeen:
I can answer that last question. Why do we need to use firewalls and anti-virus software? Simple! Because we want them to hog our CPUs and resources, making PCs slower, so that we'd eventually get sick of it and go buy a new faster PC.

Nah, firewalls don't hog the CPU/ram.  Also the antivirus stuff doesn't seem to, at least here.

But either way:

quote:
You can run a MacOS or Linux just fine with like a 1% chance of getting a virus. With Windows, theres a 90% chance you'll get one.

That is still true.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2004, 16:12 »
WMD, you have never tried Norton have you.

I swear that norton guy has as doing Seti Workunits for his own cluter for bragging rights or somthing.

Exsencon

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2004, 20:42 »
Norton Antivirus and Norton Utilities and so on definitely slows your machine down. Just run it with and without and you'll see
Exsencon

Ubi solitudinem faciunt,pacem appellant
Where they make a desert,they call it peace

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2004, 00:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by X11: doogee.is.dreaming.org:
WMD, you have never tried Norton have you.

My dad has Norton Antivirus, and it doesn't seem to hog resources.  However today, it DID force a reboot on me.  :mad:
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

PseudoRandomDragon

• http://www.geocities.com/zonealarmprov4/index.htm
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2004, 02:40 »
Believe me, I wish I didn't have to run a firewall too, nor do I wish having to make a white list of sites that are allowed to use Java/JS in my browser. However, it is something that must be accepted no matter what OS you are using.
I am sofa king high. (Read out loud)

solarflare

« Reply #9 on: 25 January 2004, 21:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by xeen:
Tomorrow is the new Personal Firewall Day, according to Microsoft. MS and another company are declaring tomorrow, 1/15, Personal Firewall Day. They will unveil a new website and focus on educating users about using Firewall software and antivirus software.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1212&e=6&u=/pcworld/20040114/tc_pcworld/114318&sid=95612658

[ January 14, 2004: Message edited by: xeen ]

Mac OS X Panther has built in firewall into the operating system - so you don't need to buy Norton Firewall or whatever!