Author Topic: Why is microsoft an invasion on privacy???  (Read 1636 times)

booksacool1

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.neopets.com/mac/booksacool1
Why is microsoft an invasion on privacy???
« on: 30 January 2002, 10:08 »
firstly you have to assume that i am an idiot and then answer my question

I have heard often enough that microsoft is an invasion on privacy with windows XP.  
What  makes it so????
GOOOOOOOOOOOOO NEW ZEALAND

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Why is microsoft an invasion on privacy???
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2002, 15:53 »
Okay, well the story is as follows, briefly.
Since a good while ago, Microsoft have been including secret "system files" in their software which log your activities on your own computer, without giving you the option to do anything about it. They have also been writing subroutines into their software which use your internet connection to send information back to Microsoft servers. They have never been very clear about what information is logged in these "system files" or what info is being modemed back to Microsoft. This leads people to become paranoid and suspicious of them, since they are unlike many other software developers in that they are almost fanatical about not showing their hand.
Now, with Windows and M$ Office XP, the different threads in each of M$'s programs finally tie together to make a complete 'secret' spy situation. When an error occurs, in Windows XP (as i believe happens regularly) the system automatically emails Microsoft sending data about what you were doing when the error occured (and goodness knows what else). When you change your hardware, the system emails Microsoft to ask whether it should disable the computer (in case you have pirated the software and installed it on another computer). There will be many other things that i don't know about, since i don't use XP.
Aha! you cry! I'll just stay off the internet! Nope! wrong again. You need to connect to register, or the system will conk out altogether, and you need to register, not just after the first 14 days of use, but again in 6 months' time, and periodically after that. Of course in the meantime your computer is saving up 6 months' worth of data to send to Microsoft about stuff that is really not their business, or at least the potential is there.
Even if you did manage to get XP working without connecting for a while, it would still write those log files, and then, say you were to sell your computer or hard drive (or have it nicked!). Who's to say those cheeky little log files won't turn up for whoever has the drive next, all ready for them to splash your computer using habits all over the world, or sell your details to marketing companies? You might format your hard disc, or use one of those expensive file shredding utilities, but can you be sure? especially with XP's poor reputation for security...
Of course, Microsoft might not care what you do on or offline, and a lot of people say it's paranoid to worry about it because the odds of someone looking into your business are small, but how small are they really? And even if they don't use it, do you really want to give Microsoft the option of reading through your activities at their leisure? Remember this is the only company , to my knowledge that have screwed over BOTH Apple Computers and International Business Machines (IBM), not to mention an uncountable number of small businesses, private program developers and individual users.
Hope that answers your question...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

_LiquidOxygen

Re: Why is microsoft an invasion on privacy???
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2007, 10:35 »
If only more people knew about these intrusive files. Then Microsoft would be facing interrogation by now.

If only they did things properly like many of their opponents.

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2007, 14:07 »
*gasp* 5 year thread necromancy?!
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2007, 14:16 »
roflmao
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #5 on: 1 April 2007, 09:27 »
Quote from: solemnwarning
*gasp* 5 year thread necromancy?!

His power has grown strong indeed.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #6 on: 1 April 2007, 10:15 »
Quote from: booksacool1
firstly you have to assume that i am an idiot
This is not a Windows help forum

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft!

:p

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #7 on: 1 April 2007, 11:48 »
Eh, this thread is over five years old, somehow I think he's move on long ago. Also not that, even though I know it was before my time here, Windows help wasn't against the rules back then.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #8 on: 2 April 2007, 04:14 »
That joke (including the pirating of your sig) seemed much funnier last night when I was really drunk.