Author Topic: 2 questions  (Read 1608 times)

slvadcjelli42

• Kudos: 0
2 questions
« Reply #15 on: 19 August 2003, 02:26 »
Why not use Mozilla to download the ISO's? I've done that with every single one so far (a lot) and never had a problem...

raptor

• Kudos: 56
    • http://calyptos.com
2 questions
« Reply #16 on: 19 August 2003, 04:05 »
ya. mozilla is engineered better. it is faster. and more secure than IE (which apparently steals technology) and it has a download manager so you can pause your downloads!

they need to have a folder to cache the already downloaded bytes of data so if you have to restart for no apparent reason or just got done installing something, you can go back and resume your download without having to go through the dreadful process of redownloading!

[ August 18, 2003: Message edited by: raptor ]

"in a world without fences, who needs gates?"

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
2 questions
« Reply #17 on: 19 August 2003, 04:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by raptor:
ya. mozilla is engineered better. it is faster. and more secure than IE (which apparently steals technology) and it has a download manager so you can pause your downloads!

they need to have a folder to cache the already downloaded bytes of data so if you have to restart for no apparent reason or just got done installing something, you can go back and resume your download without having to go through the dreadful process of redownloading!

[ August 18, 2003: Message edited by: raptor ]

it does go into a file, do you really think that mozilla would put a 700mb download into ram?

bigsleep

2 questions
« Reply #18 on: 19 August 2003, 04:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by Dirk Gently:
Why not use Mozilla to download the ISO's? I've done that with every single one so far (a lot) and never had a problem...

Two problems: the resume, as far as I know, doesn't yet work, so if the download stops you're stuck redownloading the whole thing - but, I have managed to resume: don't close the download window and make sure you overwrite the old file (probably only works for files smaller than your cache size).
And: If the server sends out the wrong mime-type (many do), then Mozilla may download binary as text, since text is the default. I would imagine that any site offering Linux would be smart enough to configure their server correctly.

There are several download managers that work with Mozilla: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org

bigsleep

2 questions
« Reply #19 on: 19 August 2003, 04:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by Stryker:

it does go into a file, do you really think that mozilla would put a 700mb download into ram?

I think he means that it needs a different download cache, as it is it uses the main cache.
I would prefer it just use the temp directory for downloads.

raptor

• Kudos: 56
    • http://calyptos.com
2 questions
« Reply #20 on: 19 August 2003, 04:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by Bigsleep:

I think he means that it needs a different download cache, as it is it uses the main cache.
I would prefer it just use the temp directory for downloads.

same!
"in a world without fences, who needs gates?"

slvadcjelli42

2 questions
« Reply #21 on: 19 August 2003, 06:24 »
oh, i see... well, I don't really have the problem with stopped downloads since they come pretty fast on this connection, and it's (almost) always on, but I can see how the MIME type thing could be a problem (I'm assuming that the fact that the md5sums always match up means they're ok)... seems like you're right about the server configurations.

bigsleep

2 questions
« Reply #22 on: 19 August 2003, 11:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by Dirk Gently:
...(I'm assuming that the fact that the md5sums always match up means they're ok)...

Yes, I always check with CRC or MD5 - if its available.

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
2 questions
« Reply #23 on: 19 August 2003, 20:11 »
Good god, a simple goggle search will turn up how to turn off the firewall. When the hell will people learn to use google before posting these little sad linux love fests.

* Right-click on My Network Places
* Select Properties
* Double click Local Network Connection or Modem
* Click Advanced
* Uncheck Internet Connection Firewall

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
2 questions
« Reply #24 on: 19 August 2003, 21:29 »
oh yes and remember to trust microsoft all the while you're doing those steps because nobody except them knows whether that will *really* switch off your "firewall", not even fettucini-freda-999.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Faust

2 questions
« Reply #25 on: 20 August 2003, 06:03 »
quote:

Would it be possible if I had like over a gig of ram to cache an entire iso in there before burning it?  Kinda sounds cool to me and it would help avoid buffer under run errors...  Rantings of a madman or possible?
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
2 questions
« Reply #26 on: 20 August 2003, 06:19 »
they wouldn't though, it might be an option at somepoint. but i doubt it'll be the default way it's configured. most people have between 256 and 512mb. lots of people download big files.

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
2 questions
« Reply #27 on: 20 August 2003, 10:06 »
Could always create a Ramdrive, load the ISO into it, and then tell the burning software to burn it from that drive.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
2 questions
« Reply #28 on: 20 August 2003, 15:09 »
re: resuming, i tend to use d4x or gdm both of which are excellent and will do resuming and all that downloading in slices, throttling the speed etc.

also galeon (which is based on mozilla) has a little option in the preferences to allow you to use gdm as the default download manager for all downloads, which makes it nice and simple.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism