Author Topic: Windows XP Service Pack 2 Build 2082  (Read 6107 times)

anphanax

• Kudos: 11
    • http://june.tripod.com
Windows XP Service Pack 2 Build 2082
« on: 21 March 2004, 00:43 »
Paul's site doesn't have a direct link at the moment to this, but if you're interested in seeing all the stuff Microsoft is putting into SP2, this site
should be informative:
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp_sp2_preview2.asp

[ March 20, 2004: Message edited by: anphanax ]

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2004, 01:02 »
That firewall balloon sounds like a spam e-mail or something you may find in a pop-up commercial.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2004, 01:20 »
IMO the Security Center and the Windows Firewall GUIs look really cheesy.

quote:
There are just two (major) problems: XP's Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) isn't enabled by default and it isn't particularly configurable; assuming you can find the place to turn it on in the first place, all you get was a simple check box: It is either on or off. The Advanced Settings for ICF--where you can configure which services the firewall allows through--is even harder to find.

:rolleyes:
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

DV8R

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: 7 August 2004, 00:00 »
Well I just read the entire article and "it sounds" to me that they are addressing a variety of the issues that are discussed here and other forums.  Example: IE upgrades (to compete with Firefix...lol) , blah,blah Im not going to list what you can read yourself. Point being that they seem to be implementing a variety of good steps. Ya im sure that the people who get illegal copies of XP are NOT going to like it for obvious reasons but hey nobody likes to get ripped off, not even billionaires.

I myself cannot break away from XP...and wont. I also run Fedora c2 but I have to run alot of windows apps and Im not going to run wine because to me its not a good alternative ...at this point in the game. So what im doing is just keeping my XP offline.... no more worries if its not accessing the internet. Will I update to SP2? nope. Why? well I just cant do that...   ;)  

As soon as a solid, totally functional windows layer is implemented into linux I will continue to run my workstation on my XP drive and my EvilPenguin on my other drive.

[ August 06, 2004: Message edited by: DV8R ]

Gray Matter: WinXP SP1 | Fedora C2 kernel 2.6.7
Eyes: Firefox 9.3
----------------------------------
Gray Matter 2: G4 867 w/ OSX.2

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #4 on: 7 August 2004, 06:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by Refalm:
That firewall balloon sounds like a spam e-mail or something you may find in a pop-up commercial.

Hmm.  I've been working on an article (a little too education oriented to post on this site unfortunately) that kind of takes a look at how Windows goes out of its way to interrupt the user, instead of letting him create.  Anyway, it's a whole rant about how Windows' corporate/structural origins causes it to discourage creativity and reenforce conformity.  A prime example is crap like this.  A more overt one would be the grammar check in Word, and its subconscious effect on young writers who begin shaping their styles after what Microsoft suggests is correct.

You've given me motivation to go back and start working on it.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #5 on: 7 August 2004, 07:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by bedouin:
Hmm.  I've been working on an article (a little too education oriented to post on this site unfortunately) that kind of takes a look at how Windows goes out of its way to interrupt the user, instead of letting him create.

By all means, we need articles!  
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

solarismka

« Reply #6 on: 7 August 2004, 08:38 »
Service pack 2 is old news.  Just like past service packs it promises to fix the problems that plauge windows.  Instead I've seen it slow down XP (Making it unstable) or it breaks something.  Just like the previous patches before this one.

Same ol same ol.
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #7 on: 7 August 2004, 17:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by kn0wn:
Service pack 2 is old news.  Just like past service packs it promises to fix the problems that plauge windows.  Instead I've seen it slow down XP (Making it unstable) or it breaks something.  Just like the previous patches before this one.

Same ol same ol.

LOL! Solaris YES,  :D

winbloze sux and M$ jus kep on thinkin of wayz to make is sux even more!

dey invist all der time and muny in thinkin bout filin wiv mor bugz and shit.

dey say to demselvs oh fuck it how can we mak it easy for de kick ass virus riter?

letz giv it sum new xploits, that wud be fun now more peple wil by it. LOL!

Y not giv it fire worl to burn up da dopey scunk.

MS blazin tripin YO, masiv sux shit cox.

i wil continu 2 by der stuf if itz mor unstalbe.

kule.  
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #8 on: 7 August 2004, 17:19 »
Aloone, God damn but I hope you're stoned.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

solarismka

« Reply #9 on: 7 August 2004, 18:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Candidate/BOB:
Aloone, God damn but I hope you're stoned.

You can't argue with a pupet that repeats everything that M$ says.  To him their god and everything they do is 100% right even though facts and evedence state otherwize.

He's just upset when I debunked his FUD in the apple form.

If he is mature enough, he'll get over himself.

[ August 07, 2004: Message edited by: kn0wn ]

"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 7 August 2004, 20:17 »
Lol!
Linux roolz
Winbloze drulez
I agree with you Solaris, what's your problem?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

solarismka

« Reply #11 on: 7 August 2004, 23:42 »
If it longhorn takes such a high requirment I wonder how big its service packs are going to be?

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #12 on: 8 August 2004, 01:34 »
I never knew that fixing ones mistakes was such a bad thing.

[sarcasm]
I guess M$ (<-- note my clever use of the dollar sign) must not fix all the bloated, insecure, unstable code,  Because they ONLY can make it worse!
[/sarcasm]

Seriously though, this Service Pack fixes a ton of stuff that people like you were complaining about.  I don't see what the problem with fixing bugs is.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

solarismka

« Reply #13 on: 8 August 2004, 04:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by Sauron / B0B:
I never knew that fixing ones mistakes was such a bad thing.

[sarcasm]
I guess M$ (<-- note my clever use of the dollar sign) must not fix all the bloated, insecure, unstable code,  Because they ONLY can make it worse!
[/sarcasm]

Seriously though, this Service Pack fixes a ton of stuff that people like you were complaining about.  I don't see what the problem with fixing bugs is.

Because it does not fix the things that I complain about, thus I continue to complain about them.  I need them to close holes,  decrease the bloat.  Bascially do what they say that they are going to do.  But rather, just like all the other service packs before it.

Brings instability issues by bringing the machine to a crawl.  By breaking important applications and with all of that NOT fix the hole but instead try to cover it up.  Thats why when someone writes an exploit of M$ windows.  All that has to change is maby a few command lines.  Everything else stays the same.

Its also why we have things like MyDoomW32.worm a b c d..... etc.

Pluse there is the fact, knowing all of this that, its huge to download and impliment anyways.
Seriously.  To pach an M$ system to get the same result as that of an infeccted mashine that the patch is supposed to prevent.  You might as well leave it unpatched and at least your shit will work for a while and its not you thats fucking things up by believeing in the M$ PR Machine.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 8 August 2004, 16:36 »
Service packs are defiantly a good thing, they are an indication that MS is trying  to fix their bugey  operating system. I must admit that in the past, one service pack contained a bug that was responsible  for a new exploit, but the net result of using it was good, as it fixed other exploits.

Despite what some people say, Windows has improved a lot over the last decade, I would admit that these improvements have not been good enough.

Windows 3.1 was the first reasonably mature version, and it has only seen 2 major upgrades. Windows95 & Windows 2000, both of these have been a significant improvement on the previous.

I can give technical details as to why each major upgrade of Windows is significantly better to the previous, when all that some people can come up, are BS accounts of their personal experiences and similar here say.

MS does not  release services packs and upgrades for no reason, they don't do it to fuck your computer up!

They do it for a good reason.

I know Linux has improved at faster rate than Windows but this doesn't mean that Windows has stood still.

[ August 08, 2004: Message edited by: Aloone ]