Author Topic: Phoenix rebornagain  (Read 1178 times)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Phoenix rebornagain
« on: 1 November 2002, 02:06 »
Phoenix 0.4 released

I think i might give this one a miss, and wait for number five...
well actually i already have 0.1, 0.2 and 0.3, might as well get 0.4 as well! still, they're turfing them out at such a rate of knots that i think, well, i never use 0.1 or 0.2 now, so what's the point in gqetting this one if it'll be outdated next week?

[ November 01, 2002: Message edited by: Calum-21.2 ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Phoenix rebornagain
« Reply #1 on: 1 November 2002, 23:20 »
i just installed phoenix on my win2000 machine at work, and fuck does it work!!! i get TABBED BROWSING!!!!! christ, IE sucks. honestly, compare IE 5.5 against phoenix 0.4 (compare those numbers, windoids 5.5 versus 0.4!!!) and phoenix comes out hands down! I can even use the prefbar to spoof my OS and browser!!!
it even fools mozilla.org! when i visit there, idebtifying as mozilla 1.0/win98, they tell me to upgrade to mozilla 1.2b, and when i go there identifying as NS6.2/Linux (in windows!!!!!) they tell me there's a security hole in my browser!

man, i love this, and it doesn't need to even touch the registry! now that proves that this 'browser needs to be integrated into windows' shit is, well, SHIT.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Phoenix rebornagain
« Reply #2 on: 1 November 2002, 23:29 »
What's the difference between it and Mozilla? I read over the page and it seems like it is more or less a cut down version of Mozilla. What am I missing?
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
Phoenix rebornagain
« Reply #3 on: 2 November 2002, 00:28 »
thats it... a smaller version of Mozilla. It i quite a bit faster. I use it on my slow computer.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Phoenix rebornagain
« Reply #4 on: 2 November 2002, 04:58 »
Its still big as in diskwise, but does not use as much memory.

ravuya

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
Phoenix rebornagain
« Reply #5 on: 2 November 2002, 07:50 »
0.4 is the best one yet but I'm still using Mozilla because I like the skins.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Phoenix rebornagain
« Reply #6 on: 6 November 2002, 15:48 »
hmm, i notice that i can install skins in phoenix, and that it seems to come with 'classic' and 'modern' skins. however, if you try to use any of these you can't! it just continues to look like mini-Orbit, or whatever it is. Also, there's a thing about mozilla skins, how come you can't have the skin be random on startup, like xmms?
quote:
Originally posted by void main:
What's the difference between it and Mozilla? I read over the page and it seems like it is more or less a cut down version of Mozilla. What am I missing?

basically, it's personal preference.
I don't use mozilla composer, or mozilla mail. Those are not packaged with phoenix, it's just a browser on its own, however i think its a very good one.

it's very fast and it doesn't have any scurf hanging on that you don't need. At the moment it looks like about 7Mb, and frankly, that's about 35 mins of download, compared with 2 to 3 hours or so for mozilla, netscape or opera.

Also, it's great at version 0.4, and has never crashed for me on windows (which i use sometimes at work) or linux (and you can of course use the mouse gestures, prefbar and tabbed browsing extensions, if you can get them to work in linux! (they work in windows due to windows being very dumb about permissions)), so imagine how streamlined it will be by version 1.0!
One other thing, it does not require installation. Just extract it into a directory, and whammo, there it goes. This is a real benefit in windows, as it avoids any registry shit, and it's a bonus in linux as you (a) know where all the files go and (b) can do 'ln -s /usr/share/phoenix/phoenix /usr/bin/phoenix' and then when you update your copy of phoenix at a later date, you need do nothing except delete the original phoenix directory and replace it with the new one. (i know, i know, but this sort of thing is still good to me, after windows!)

it looks like while mozilla is an attempt at a full featured 'netscape' clone, phoenix is a streamlined and stripped 'mozilla' clone.

still didn't figure out how to install the prefbar in linux though... in mozilla neither.

[ November 06, 2002: Message edited by: Calum & his insidious little spies ]

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Phoenix rebornagain
« Reply #7 on: 7 November 2002, 00:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum & his insidious little spies:
still didn't figure out how to install the prefbar in linux though... in mozilla neither.

be root
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
Phoenix rebornagain
« Reply #8 on: 7 November 2002, 00:46 »
a bit slow today tux? in the original PrefBard thread i already told Calum that.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'