Author Topic: Netscape  (Read 1182 times)

kituhwa

• Kudos: 0
    • http://n/a
Netscape
« on: 30 September 2003, 14:33 »
I miss Netscape. You're all probably wondering what the hell I'm talking about. Well many years back that was my favorite browser. Haven't used it in a long time. In my JavaScript class my teacher Mr. Castor had asked us to raise our hands if Netscape was their favorite browser, I was about to but nobody else raised their hands, so I thought I was gonna get beat down or something, ha ha. They all started talkin' trash about it and the teacher was like "C'mon guys 7.1 is pretty good" he didn't convince anybody. So our JavaScript assignment was to make an alert box that would say "You do not like underdogs" if you said you prefered Internet Explorer.

I wondered how Netscape became the underdog, then of course read the story at the beginning of this website, how depressing.

I friggin' hate Safari though, I don't mind Macs at all, but when I'm on a Mac I always use Netscape. Explorer doesn't work on the Macs we have a school, something about it not being able to accept cookies so anything you have to sign into with a password you can't access, nobody ever uses explorer in the Mac labs. My Database teacher said that Microsuck was going to stop making explorer for Macs because they don't think it's fair that Mac has an operating system as is now putting out a browser....buh??? But...didn't....they... Oh well.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Netscape
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2003, 18:52 »
I can't say I like Netscape. In fact, I hate it.

Netscape is just Mozilla 1.0.2 with added AOL crap. So why not upgrade from Netscape to Mozilla 1.4?

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
Netscape
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2003, 22:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by Refalm:
I can't say I like Netscape. In fact, I hate it.

Netscape is just Mozilla 1.0.2 with added AOL crap. So why not upgrade from Netscape to Mozilla 1.4?

Actually, Netscape 7.1 is mozilla 1.4.

Stilly

• Kudos: 29
    • http://kickassshit.tk/
Netscape
« Reply #3 on: 3 October 2003, 12:12 »
mozilla is hella faster though
just say know

Faust

Netscape
« Reply #4 on: 3 October 2003, 12:43 »
Have a look at Mozilla or Mozilla Firebird.  Firebird is probably different to what you remember, but pretty good.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Windows_SuX_@$$

Netscape
« Reply #5 on: 3 October 2003, 23:33 »
Mozilla is Nice and alot of optionsm Firebird is same thing less options and faster...
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBBCode Images are permitted.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Netscape
« Reply #6 on: 4 October 2003, 03:13 »
Mat,

in Safari, this is how to enable Cookies

open the Safari menu (the one that says "Safari" in bold letters) and choose Preferences.

click the Security icon (the master lock icon) and set Cookies to "Only from sites you navigate to"

Make sure "Block pop-up windows" is checked.

For sites that are assholes and disable context menus (right clicking) go back there and uncheck Enable JavaScript.

This will allow you to save text or images that they're being dickheads about.

Don't steal the image and call it your own, but I don't see anything wrong with saving it to your HD for personal use
Go the fuck ~

Soulblighter

Netscape
« Reply #7 on: 22 October 2003, 17:51 »
Hello everyone,

I'm using Mozilla Firebird. It's so GREAT. There is no any installation. Just extract the files from tar.gz archive and use it...

Firebird has very GREAT features: tabbed browsing, pop-up killer and so on...

Don't forget! simply is the best  

raptor

• Kudos: 56
    • http://calyptos.com
Netscape
« Reply #8 on: 22 October 2003, 20:37 »
I think mozilla.org has stopped steady development on the mozilla/mozilla mail suite.

*It is still in production, but i believe their main focus is firebird/thunderbird!

Bottom line: good software, i love it!  :D

http://mozilla.org

[ October 22, 2003: Message edited by: raptor ]

"in a world without fences, who needs gates?"

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
Netscape
« Reply #9 on: 22 October 2003, 21:13 »
yeah. 1.5 is probably the last release for Moz.

its development was too closely tied to commercial Netscape anyway. Mozilla was faster than NS, yeah. but NS was the SLOWEST THNG IN THE WORLD. That makes Mozilla the SECOND SLOWEST THING IN THE WORLD.

Firebird is much quicker. And the complaints "it doesn't have enough options"... why does everybody whine if you don't have every possibility in the world mapped out in your prefs dialog.

wah wah wah
Go the fuck ~

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Netscape
« Reply #10 on: 23 October 2003, 01:02 »
quote:
Darth Jimmy James: yeah. 1.5 is probably the last release for Moz.

Uh, why? They where doing so well...

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
Netscape
« Reply #11 on: 23 October 2003, 01:51 »
well, apparently there is gonna be a 1.6... probably more.

I guessed that since Netscape development ended, and the fact that they're turning their attention toward firebird, that Moz would probably start winding down
Go the fuck ~

SAJChurchey

• http://sajchurchey.htmlplanet.com
Netscape
« Reply #12 on: 24 October 2003, 21:18 »
I say as long as their is a need for ALL the features that Mozilla has (i.e. Mail, Composer, IRCChat, etc.).  It will still be developed.  Of course you will have the slimmed down Thunderbird and Firebird for people who just need mail and navigator, respectively.  The Mozilla project is not dead, and NS was practically dead since NS6 came out.

Any improvments made to Firebird and Thunderbird more than likely come through the Mozilla project first, since they are based on it.
SAJChurchey