Author Topic: 9 different non-MS webbrowsers offered on this site!  (Read 2097 times)

Fugazi

• Kudos: 0
9 different non-MS webbrowsers offered on this site!
« on: 1 February 2002, 22:56 »
Is there a site or link that reviews some(or all) of the webbrowsers offered here. I will be using either Win95 or 2000(soon) and would like to know which ones(Netscape, Mozilla, Opera, ect) have the most features, least bugs, are fastest, ect...
Also, how do I(we) know one or more of them don't also "spy" on you???
To read their websites, they're all the cats meow...
Thanks

Centurian

• http://www.darkmares.2ya.com
« Reply #1 on: 1 February 2002, 23:16 »
Hey,

If your running under Windows then I would personally recommend Mozilla. Mozilla is the engine that runs Netscape without the added bloat that Netscape/AOL include. It does have a call-in like all of them but with Mozilla you can choose to disable it during setup. Mozilla runs fast and is very powerful under Windows. Since it is a constant work in progress (hence the reason for the call-in to report bugs) it can have bugs. When I had windows running I used build 0.9.5 and I never had a single problem with it. It also comes with a good email client and I think an html composer much like Netscape but again without the bloat.

Second to that and IMHO not as good is Opera.

The computer I am running now does not have Windows installed. I use Galeon, Konqueror and Mozilla with this Linux install. At the moment I'm using Galeon.

Later
Centurian

[ February 01, 2002: Message edited by: Centurian ]

Later
Centurian

badkarma

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: 1 February 2002, 23:17 »
Now this might be a silly suggestion, but why not not try them out and decide for yourself which you like best?  

and win95? not only is it *extremely* insecure on *any* computer connected to the internet, it could also be considered ancient  ;)
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #3 on: 1 February 2002, 23:35 »
quote:
Is there a site or link that reviews some(or all) of the webbrowsers offered here. I will be using
             either Win95 or 2000(soon) and would like to know which ones(Netscape, Mozilla, Opera, ect)
             have the most features, least bugs, are fastest, ect...
             Also, how do I(we) know one or more of them don't also "spy" on you???
             To read their websites, they're all the cats meow...
             Thanks  

So far as I'm concerned, *anything* is better than Internet Explorer, which has got to be the worst piece of shit in the annals of computing going all the way back to Charles Babbage and his Analytic Engine. You've heard how "unstable" Win 95 is? Well, guess what? That is due almost exclusively to IE! Sometimes apps misbehave, that's why Win 95 has <CNTL><ALT><DELETE> and Linux has Xkill. But no app should ever bring down the *entire* OS! Get IEradicator and say goodbye to the BSOD.

Or better yet, get Linux http://linuxcentral.com

Now *that* is what I call a Windows upgrade!
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Neon92k

• http://how.to/jiff
« Reply #4 on: 2 February 2002, 17:49 »
i use opera. the features are superior to any other brower i have used.
it has some problems with ASP, but who cares?
--Neon92k
Microsoft Sucks.
Yup.
http://how.to/jiff

Tux

« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2002, 18:17 »
fugazi is a tight band...

Mojo

« Reply #6 on: 27 March 2002, 08:26 »
Mozilla 0.9.9 baby!

This is the child of Netscape - Really stable- really sexy - On par with IE5 in terms of CSS/HTTP standards etc - its got loads of features  - fast rendering engine... www.mozilla.org

Gooseberry Clock

• http://redrangersoftware.cjb.net/
« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2002, 23:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by jtpenrod:
But no app should ever bring down the *entire* OS!
And that's why I use NetCaptor. If a web page fucks up, you only lose all the browser tabs you had open.
quote:
Get IEradicator and say goodbye to the BSOD.
I very much doubt it.

Bateluer

« Reply #8 on: 1 April 2002, 07:13 »
I'm an Opera fan boy  

Rosie

« Reply #9 on: 1 May 2002, 10:05 »
i'm another opera fan.  I started out with 5, and I liked that.  But 6 is really good.  I just wish it wouldd show custom scroll bars and form elements.. ah well

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #10 on: 1 May 2002, 15:14 »
i just used IEradicator and Opera.exe wouldn't work! (this is opera 5) i tried to uninstall then reinstall opera, but no dice! this hasn't happened before, and i have used IEradicator in this way a few times before. I'm not 100% convinced about 98lite. Some of these windows customisers take it too far. System Mechanic for example is great for managing yr autoexec and other startup files, but it will remove half yr registry that you will later find that you need. And M$ PowerToys is right out!

Anyway, i got in an irritated snit when Netscape refused to work properly aither so in a fit of irritation i got lynx (which i am very confused about how to install in windows, can anybody help?), Opera 6.01 (oh yes! it is the BEST browser yet!!! although you need to set it to identify as mozilla (not opera) to view msn pages) and OffByOne which is a free browser i got from download.com. Not tried it much yet, but it's a little odd compared with the others. Try it if you have windows, it is a very small download.

Sorry, waffling again, Opera 6 is great! can't wait for the mac version so i can have it at work!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #11 on: 3 May 2002, 12:28 »
quote:
 i just used IEradicator and Opera.exe wouldn't work! (this is opera 5) i tried to uninstall then reinstall opera, but no dice! this hasn't happened before, and i have used IEradicator in this way a few times before. I'm not 100% convinced about 98lite.  
If you insist on using Winders you're not going to be able to get away from IE. I tried IEradicator on Win 95, sure, it got rid of IE alright, and with it all the libraries that a great many third party apps require. I got so sick and tired of looking at one idiot box after another claiming this and that was hopelessly "broke" and needed a reinstall, that I went ahead and reinstalled the damn thing.   :(   However, I also got Netscape so I wouldn't have to actually use it either.