Author Topic: Visual Studio, what the hell were they thinking!  (Read 1139 times)

Doctor V

• Kudos: 0
:mad:    :mad:    :mad:    :mad:    :mad:    :mad:    :mad:  

I installed visual studio at work and VC++ isn't working.  It didn't even install right.  Whats more is that now windoze has to inform me of every little page error that comes up in every web page I visit.  Its annoying as hell.  Re installing VStudio dosn't help at all.  The absoltue worst thing is that there is no FUCKING uninstall.  May as well be a virus, as it casuses the system much more damage than many viruses do.  Bill Gates can go to hell.  If there's any way you can avoid using this program (and I know M$ has a way of forcing companys to), don't use it.

V

dbl221

Visual Studio, what the hell were they thinking!
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2002, 10:08 »
well thats what happens when you use M$ products.

Next time install linux, its compiler never has that problem.  :D    :D
dbl221***Comp-Sys walking wounded

Doctor V

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2002, 13:50 »
I wouldn't BE using WinBlows products if I wasn't being PAID to do so.   :mad:  

M$ has a way of forcing companies to use Winblows.  In a perfect world that wouldn't happen, but this is not a perfect world.  The company I work for uses and sells a piece of hardware for which all the software written for it is made for windows, yes everything.  Now I could always go to the manufacturer of that hardware and tell them that they shouldn't have used winblows and what not, but somehow I don't think that would have any positive results.  

I came here to bitch about M$.  I use windows at home, and in the few rare cases when I actually do get to choose what system I use at work, I always choose Linux.  But, M$hit is a monopoly, and it is impossible to avoid 100%.

:mad:  So please no more shoulda woulda coulda used a different OS responses OK?

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2002, 14:10 »
i think those responses will crop up every now and again, just got to take them on the chin, still, it's good to have a good bitch,

about that errors in web pages thing, does it actually have a harmful effect on the way the pages come up? also are you using internet explorer? because, you could try just turning off the "show me all the error messages" setting in your browser, or just use a different browser.

re: uninstalling that program, if you do find out how to master it, do post your hints here for anyone else in a similar situation...

ps is suspect you mean you use linux at home?

[ May 17, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

badkarma

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2002, 16:33 »
you could allways use a platform independent toolkit like Qt, develop under linux and compile for windows as needed... you could even drop MSVC and use borland c++
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2002, 16:40 »
It seems that Qt is now open source, yes? I read so here. I was just about to say how i frowned on non open source things as a rule if there were decent open source alternatives, but there you go, my foot would have been firmly in my mouth if i  had!

well, not much else to say then, eh?  :D
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Master Windu

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2002, 18:20 »
Ahhhh....yesss..The M$ Vi$ual $tudio Compiler. See my rant in the "Best Language" thread in the "Lounge" area.  There are alternatives.

Free Compilers:

-Borland's compiler is at http://www.borland.com
-Digital Mars http://www.digitalmars.com (I haven't used this one yet.

You can find well written documentation at http://www.cplusplus.com that will thuroughly explain how to get these compilers up and running if you are having trouble (their come-with documentation is a tad difficult for new users.) It explains everything from intalling them, to creating executables....even has tutorials.

Your best bet, however, is just to go and get a good, user-friendly distro of Linux.  Most of them come equipped with GNU.  That C++ site I listed will explain how to compile using that as well.

badkarma

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2002, 19:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
It seems that Qt is now open source, yes? I read so here. I was just about to say how i frowned on non open source things as a rule if there were decent open source alternatives, but there you go, my foot would have been firmly in my mouth if i  had!

well, not much else to say then, eh?   :D  

for non commercial usage qt is free yes, for commercial usage trolltech offers several licensing options (but Qt is definatly worth it, we have a professional license at work)
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

Doctor V

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2002, 05:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
i think those responses will crop up every now and again, just got to take them on the chin, still, it's good to have a good bitch,

about that errors in web pages thing, does it actually have a harmful effect on the way the pages come up? also are you using internet explorer? because, you could try just turning off the "show me all the error messages" setting in your browser, or just use a different browser.

re: uninstalling that program, if you do find out how to master it, do post your hints here for anyone else in a similar situation...

ps is suspect you mean you use linux at home?

[ May 17, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

yes, I did mean to say linux at home.  and once you install M$ Visual STudio its a poison to your system.  The problems come up in IE.  M$ is actually stupid enough to write software that causes damage to the rest of their applications.  Yes, I can see that M$ will go down in the not so distant future.

Heru

« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2002, 11:21 »
ah yes Visual Studio...
What horrid memories of that pile of dog crap I have.

I had it installed back before I uninstalled IE; and it was hell.  Every page error, every program error, would result in it saying something and pissing me off.  It made my system about 25% slower and to top it off it couldn't even compile reliably.
Three weeks ago I reformated my WinME partition and then removed IE with 98lite(best damn thing I've done on Windows).  But I needed to install Visual Basic temporarily.  You know what?  It wouldn't let me.  It complained about the MS Java thingy not being there, and it was there.  It even tried to reinstall IE for me.  I've given up all hope for MS and it's products.