Author Topic: Is it just me...  (Read 4436 times)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Is it just me...
« Reply #30 on: 11 February 2002, 17:16 »
I am smarter than that!
I just said i didn't start that war! i think war is a terrible situation! nobody here started it, and i think everybody here agrees that war and general meaningless death is very bad news indeed.
I wasn't trying to be insensitive or obnoxious, just pointing out that compared with some things in the world, saying "fucktard" in a bulletin board discussion is really not so abominable!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Is it just me...
« Reply #31 on: 12 February 2002, 01:00 »
Well I agree with you about the comment not being so bad considering the domain name of this web site.  And I shouldn't respond to the other comment you made because it is off topic (ridding MS from the face of the earth).  But I have to respond at the risk of this becoming a large ongoing off subject thread.

First of all, you are right, nobody likes war (well, most sane people do not like war) but sometimes it *is* necessary.

Second of all, nobody is at war with Afghanistan. Now Afghanistan was at war with itself for the last 10 years (and for much longer thoughout it's history).

Third, as you know some chicken shit, gutless bastards killed some of my innocent friends and relatives for no reason other than getting themselves a ticket to paradise (or so they believe).  And this is not the first time they have done this.  And any sane person would have to believe it isn't the last time they will do this.  Mind you, these chicken shit, gutless bastards are not Afghan people, they are a collection of hate mongers who just happened to be practicing their tactics in a country that was at war with itself, taking advantage of chaos that existed.

Now, if someone kept coming out from behind a rock and punching you in the nose repeatedly are you supposed to just continue to take it?

Thankfully, most of the free world got together to try and put a stop to it (or severely hinder it). And as a side benefit I believe there is great hope for Afghanistan. They hopefully will now have a responsible government containing some very smart people who will treat their people a little better. Now women will actually be able to have a life. This is one of many examples of future hope.  

They will now get support from many countries to help them rebuild their devastation (devastation that previously existed). Hopefully they will be able to educate themselves so they can turn their country into a much better place for their people to live.

In a perfect world, there is peace, it's not a perfect world.  But for it to become one, sometimes war is necessary.  In this particular case the "war" is focused toward taking out a few rotten eggs, not on a country as a whole.

But discussing this is like discussing religion.  Usually there are two points of view and no matter how much you discuss it, one point of view will not see the other point of view.  Now, if you have a better idea of what should have been done, I certainly would like to hear it, but these forums are not really the place to do it.

[ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Gonusto

• Kudos: 0
Is it just me...
« Reply #32 on: 12 February 2002, 01:20 »
All I've got to say is that its all relative . . .

-Gonusto

lu666s

• http://www.lumir.net/
Is it just me...
« Reply #33 on: 12 February 2002, 04:06 »
Relatiive to what? Or a relative to whom?

I have to say I agree 100% with Void.
It probably has something to do with our respecive age group, I was a rebel and leftist idealist when 18 (even though I lived under a commie system at that time).

Is there a chance that the situation is/will be misused by certain elements in power circles. You'betcha, absolutely, absolute power corrupts absolutely, it all depends on every single of us if we let them, and there is a clear parallel between the closed systems and open systems.

However, perhaps, there is a slight chance that the US administration would realize that the policies of the 20th century were rather inept and self-defeating and creating bigger problems in the end, no matter how appropriate they seemed at the time. Short term gain translates usually into long term kick in the butt. That is not to invoke blame games, everybody is wiser in the hindsight.

The hope is that if the the political/economical niveau in Afganistan gets nurtured, it may be a foundation stone of better world a showcase of sorts... that there is a better way, than a myopic premedieval ideology.

I'll end it here, the whole matter is rather on the high end of order of complexities, and this is not the forum.

[ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: lu666s ]

I'm not in favor of senseless Microsoft bashing. I'm in favor of bashing Microsoft senseless.

kjg

Is it just me...
« Reply #34 on: 12 February 2002, 04:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by lu666s:
Relatiive to what? Or a relative to whom?
Is there a chance that the situation is/will be misused by certain elements in power circles. You'betcha, absolutely, absolute power corrupts absolutely, it all depends on every single of us if we let them, and there is a clear parallel between the closed systems and open systems.<snip>
I'll end it here, the whole matter is rather on the high end of order of complexities, and this is not the forum.

I agree that this isn't the place to discuss whether the action in Afghanistan is right or wrong, but, the point you made IS on topic, in a way. There will always be those people or groups of people who seek to expand their power at the expense of others. There will also always be people or groups of people who will act to harm others, and any civilized society *must* act to prevent - or at least contain the damage from -those acts. The problem (as we've seen with both Microsoft and the USA PATRIOT Act), is that the first group often uses the second group to get power that we otherwise would refuse to give them. To quote William Pitt:

quote:
Necessity is the plea of every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
--William Pitt (1756-1806)

Whether we're talking governments or corporations, they will take as much power as they can convince us give them, and if we are not very careful, they will eventually have enough power that they no longer need our consent to take more. In the government's case, it was terrorism - yes, a terrible thing that needs to be addressed, but not (IMHO) at the expense of our fundamental right to the protections of the Constitution. In Microsoft's case, it was software piracy - again, something that is a crime, and should be prosecuted, and, where possible, prevented - but again, not at the expense of our fundamental right to privacy.

Karen

[ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: Karen ]

Life is a Rorschach test.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Is it just me...
« Reply #35 on: 12 February 2002, 17:56 »
Well, this isn't the place et c, even though we're all discussing it here anyway,
I agree with VoidMain completely too, I do reckon that the bigger a world power is, the lighter they have to tread and the more thought their leaders have to give to a situation, which is why i remain sceptical re: Afghanistan. If not for scepticism, people would lie down and accept anything, or continue to be happily punched in the nose, in fact.
So, as long as it can stay free of backhanders and political agendas, I'm extremely happy that the poor old Afghans finally get a chance to have a chance.
There is a lot of death and suffering in "foreign parts" and sometimes it just seems like us westerners perpetuate it rather than using our power to stop it. But this is off topic.
I just wanted to say, i am against the eye for an eye thing that always surfaces in these situations, and i am in favour of thinking compassionately with regard to the poor sods on both/any/all sides of a war or conflict, those sods probably did not have a choice whether they want to be in a war or not.
That's all, i knew we'd all agree, but we all express ourselves in different ways.
Well, i suppose we should get back to the name calling so as to keep this thread on topic!

gerry

Is it just me...
« Reply #36 on: 27 February 2002, 15:42 »
Gonutso-
I have been going through all of the posts in all of the different topics just to familiarize myself with the general theme of things (although fuckmicrosoft.com was a pretty good hint). I followed your link (regaurding the registering requirements of XP) to the boycott MS site and was completely shocked by what I read! MS B]REALLY[/B] does not give a rats ass about anything or anyone! I mean I didn't expect them to be the Salvation Army, but they are coming across like the Spanish Inquisition! I'm really not happy with their products (I'm currently shackled to Windows ME [Microsoft Excrement]), but am now considering another OS. Maybe I'll buy a Mac. I was pissed when I found out that there were hidden (secret) .dat files on my system and how your internet usage is tracked and stored, but this goes WAY beyond all of that. I'm holding back a bit because I'm new here so it may seem that that I'm not really all that upset, but believe me I amPISSED BIG TIME AT THESE SHITMAGGOTS!I'll be hanging around this forum for some time to come so that I can finally purge MS from my life!
I'm running Win ME(Microsoft Excrement)
Everytime I touch my keyboard I feel dirty.

gerry

Is it just me...
« Reply #37 on: 27 February 2002, 15:52 »
Gonutso-
I have been going through all of the posts in all of the different topics just to familiarize myself with the general theme of things (although fuckmicrosoft.com was a pretty good hint). I followed your link (regaurding the registering requirements of XP) to the boycott MS site and was completely shocked by what I read! MS B]REALLY[/B] does not give a rats ass about anything or anyone! I mean I didn't expect them to be the Salvation Army, but they are coming across like the Spanish Inquisition! I'm really not happy with their products (I'm currently shackled to Windows ME [Microsoft Excrement]), but am now considering another OS. Maybe I'll buy a Mac. I was pissed when I found out that there were hidden (secret) .dat files on my system and how your internet usage is tracked and stored, but this goes WAY beyond all of that. I'm holding back a bit because I'm new here so it may seem that that I'm not really all that upset, but believe me I amPISSED BIG TIME AT THESE SHITMAGGOTS!I'll be hanging around this forum for some time to come so that I can finally purge MS from my life!
I'm running Win ME(Microsoft Excrement)
Everytime I touch my keyboard I feel dirty.

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
Is it just me...
« Reply #38 on: 27 February 2002, 18:15 »
Very cute. I see that the administrator of this forum has the mind of a child since he likes to edit peoples' posts to say shit that was never said. I now realize why you all are die hard linux fans. It is because you are all little kids and you can't afford to buy an OS, so you have to download a free one.

Zombie9920

Is it just me...
« Reply #39 on: 27 February 2002, 18:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by Xenoran:
Why should I respond? This entire forum is clearly 100% closed minded. With the replies I've seen in this post and the various other topics around the forum, an intelligent debate here is clearly futile.

All I can say is that by the level of immaturity you all have expressed on this forum, you are all shaming the operating systems / platforms your attempting to support, it's quite sad really...

That is so true man. These people act so fucking childish. There is absolutely no way anybody with a different view can reason with them. They think that if you like what they don't like, then you deserve to be flamed(Hence why it is so hard to actually debate with them). The apple loving webmaster is a true gem to the immature community. He likes to go around and edit peoples' posts because that is the only way he knows how to deal with people. True fact, most men who admire Apple computers for thier looks is gay.

[ February 27, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

Zombie9920

Is it just me...
« Reply #40 on: 27 February 2002, 19:26 »
Test to see if new sig works.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Is it just me...
« Reply #41 on: 27 February 2002, 20:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:
Very cute. I see that the administrator of this forum has the mind of a child since he likes to edit peoples' posts to say shit that was never said. I now realize why you all are die hard linux fans. It is because you are all little kids and you can't afford to buy an OS, so you have to download a free one.

What are you talking about? are you just trying to start an argument?? Editing your posts do you mean?

just think about what you just said. How can little kids be using Linux? it sounds like it takes a bit of brain to me... surely a little kid would just copy a mate's copy of Windows?

And as for your comment about how difficult it is to debate here, the real reason is that you are full of shit and the people here are all bright enough to be able to point out why.

Now fuck off you needledicked fucktard!    
I hope you're grown up enough not to be offended by that remark, but we'll see....

Zombie9920

Is it just me...
« Reply #42 on: 27 February 2002, 20:25 »
This is what I'm talking about. In this very topic I posted this.

The Webmaster edited it to say this.

I had to edit it back to the original as soon as I saw the crap. It is a very stupid thing for the admin to have done so I can only assume he has the mind of a child.

[ February 27, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

Zombie9920

Is it just me...
« Reply #43 on: 27 February 2002, 20:37 »
Every one of you bastids probably have the mentality of the webmaster. You all would probably resort to editing peoples' posts if you had the power to do so. Well, I take that back, I think VoidMain wouldn't resort to that crap because he actually sounds like he is intelligent.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Is it just me...
« Reply #44 on: 27 February 2002, 20:42 »
hey! are you saying i'm thick?
what a load of horsewallop!
i wouldn't edit somebody's posts, and i think it's poor form for it to have happened to you! still, i'll stop short of engaging in a name calling fight with you, because i have a bit of respect for the other people who post here including you.
Just because i use some colourful and varied language sometimes, don't assume i'm a fucktard!