Author Topic: Is it just me...  (Read 4434 times)

theangelofdeath69

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.kaltemartech.com/
Is it just me...
« on: 20 January 2002, 19:20 »
Hey, poeple, why are there so many people in the fuckmicrosoft.com forums DEFENDING microshit?  seriously.

Besides, half this crap's wrong anyway.

And no, I do not think IIS beats Apache, yes Sendmail beats "SMTP Service" and I DO NOT think Microsoft Passport is a good thing.

Especially including this new MyLostWallet, oops, MyWallet feature, where your credit card details get given to any site which DOESN'T request them (at least, thats how it'll end up working  ;)
Specifications are for the weak and timid!
You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!
Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!
What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak.
A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment on his code!
Klingon software does NOT have BUGS. It has FEATURES, and those features are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.
You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!

Xenoran

Is it just me...
« Reply #1 on: 3 February 2002, 19:12 »
quote:
Hey, poeple, why are there so many people in the fuckmicrosoft.com forums DEFENDING microshit? seriously.

Perhaps because they wish to enlighten this benighted little hate site on the fact that Windows is the best desktop operating system.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Is it just me...
« Reply #2 on: 3 February 2002, 20:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by Xenoran:

Perhaps because they wish to enlighten this benighted little hate site on the fact that Windows is the best desktop operating system.

This is gonna be good.  Alright zipperhead, enlighten us.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

badkarma

• VIP
Is it just me...
« Reply #3 on: 4 February 2002, 03:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by Xenoran:

name 5 things that linux doesn't that windows does, besides :

1. opening a (closed format) word/excel or other MS file
2. Being treated like a total idiot.
3. crashing my pc every 5 minutes

Then here are 5 (just a small random selection   :D  ) things I can do with linux which I can't do with windows.

1. Be productive (no bloated, buggy, crash prone IDE to worry about)
2. Have translucent menu's (my KDE looks faaaar better then winxp)
3. Should a program crash and lock up the windowing system I can just slide over to my other pc, kill the offending application and go on with my work.
4. The only BSOD I'll ever see is on the screensaver which comes with some distributions.
5. Being able to actually thouroughly debug programs I write because of the plethora of debug tools available for and built in the linux operating system, plus the fact that most libraries we use at work are either open source or has the source available, which enables me to find bugs faster by being able to tell what exactly happens when I do a function call in a library (in oposite of microsoft where you have to find out the hard way)

And the best part is, when you get a linux distribution, you don't have to shell out 300$ for a office suite, you don't have to shell out 99$ for a cd burning program, you don't have to shell out 10000's $ on MS licenses (if you're a corporate user that is), you don't have to shell out 1000's $ for some propriety
web server. Also your OS doesn't have built in programs which you can't renove and have basically no control over what they send out (IE anyone?). And your computer isn't part of the biggest breeding pool for viruses known to man anymore.

Need I go on?

[ February 03, 2002: Message edited by: BadKarma ]

If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Is it just me...
« Reply #4 on: 4 February 2002, 20:49 »
i just assumed xenoran was being sarcastic!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

lost

• http://www.23.org/
Is it just me...
« Reply #5 on: 6 February 2002, 21:07 »
i was kinda hoping he/she isnt being sarcastic and replies.  Ive been trying to find someone else to call a fucktard other then zombie5892340yy483925.
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

[email protected]

Gonusto

Is it just me...
« Reply #6 on: 6 February 2002, 10:38 »
Teehee . . . fucktard . . . I'm going to have to remember that one!    :D

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Is it just me...
« Reply #7 on: 6 February 2002, 14:27 »
It's no fun unless Xenoran replies!
HEY XENORAN! WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT, YOU FUCKTARD!?!

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
Is it just me...
« Reply #8 on: 6 February 2002, 15:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by lost:
i was kinda hoping he/she isnt being sarcastic and replies.  Ive been trying to find someone else to call a fucktard other then zombie5892340yy483925.

The only reason you would sit around and call me names is because you can't think of anything productive to say about any debunking I may do. Now run along little boy, I think your mommy is calling you.    ;)

[ February 27, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Is it just me...
« Reply #9 on: 6 February 2002, 15:43 »
ooOOOOOOOooo!
Handbags at dawn!  

lost

• http://www.23.org/
Is it just me...
« Reply #10 on: 6 February 2002, 16:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:

The only reason you would sit around and call me names is because you can't think of anything productive to say about any dicksucking I may do. Now run along little boy, I think my mommy is calling you.   ;)  

Hey fucktard, why are you speaking?  Who gave you a voice fucking fan boy?  Dont you have comics to go read or a sister to molest?  In the future try not to get all butt hurt fucking gotard.   ;)
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

[email protected]

Xenoran

Is it just me...
« Reply #11 on: 7 February 2002, 22:59 »
Why should I respond? This entire forum is clearly 100% closed minded. With the replies I've seen in this post and the various other topics around the forum, an intelligent debate here is clearly futile.

All I can say is that by the level of immaturity you all have expressed on this forum, you are all shaming the operating systems / platforms your attempting to support, it's quite sad really...

badkarma

• VIP
Is it just me...
« Reply #12 on: 7 February 2002, 23:29 »
Well .... I for one am still waiting for those 5 points..... somehow I have the feeling though that you won't reply not for your aformentioned reasons but for the simple fact that you cannot come up with a single one, and not because there are none, but because of the simple fact you will probably have never actually used linux in your life which makes it a bit hard to have an intelligent debate right?

Still waiting for that enlightenment you promised .....
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

Xenoran

Is it just me...
« Reply #13 on: 7 February 2002, 23:44 »
quote:
...but because of the simple fact you will probably have never actually used linux in your life which makes it a bit hard to have an intelligent debate right?

Still waiting for that enlightenment you promised .....

Hmm... very interesting, and the RedHat 7.2 Server under my desk would be...? Also, I never "promised" anything, I simply stated why there may be so many pro-Microsoft users on the forum.

Xenoran

Is it just me...
« Reply #14 on: 8 February 2002, 00:21 »
As much as I dislike participating in this, I will outline 5 things that Windows (2000/XP will be versions in question) can do that Linux can't.

1) Host a Microsoft Exchange Server, an invaluble reasource to any corporation who relies heavily on the Microsoft Office Suite.

2) Utilize advanced 3D accelerators at their full potential through DirectX, for the most part Linux is limited to OpenGL optimizations and is unable to use the built in DirectX optimizations.

3) Rely completely on the GUI without any command line dependancies. The X GUIs such as KDE and Gnome have come a long way in making Liux more user friendly, but high level vital functions still require the use of the command line (the terminal if X is running). Without any command line knowledge, Linux can still be used through KDE but it will basically be limited to being a word processor / web box.

4) Use a driver certification system, through the use of WHQL driver certification, drivers can be guarenteed to be stable in the OS they are certified for. This is very valuble for less skilled users, with that system in place Windows can be set to reject any non-WHQL drivers and prevent a less skilled user from installing faulty drivers.

5) Support the majority of hardware and software out on the market. This is a major plus for consumers, through all of the support Windows has throughout the hardware and software industries the users will be open to a much broader range of products that will work with their system.

And while I've completed my list, I would like to point out a few things in your list.

quote:
1. opening a (closed format) word/excel or other MS file

Windows itself does not open those files, the appropriate Microsoft Office application does. Through the use of Windows Emulation in an alternative OS, that suite can be installed on the system and those files can be viewed in the appropriate application.

quote:
2. Being treated like a total idiot.

The defaults in the OS are made to suit the majority of Windows users who are new to PCs and only have the OS because it came with their system, with the proper knowledge, those defaults can be changed drastically to suit more advanced users.

quote:
3. crashing my pc every 5 minutes

That point has absolutely no grounds, the only way a PC could crash every 5 minutes is if there was a malicious time-based script installed which was set to cause a fatal error approximately 5 minutes after explorer was loaded. Stability wise, I've found no problems with 2000 or XP, my secondary PC running WinXP Professional has been running for over two months and I haven't seen any drop in performance.

Now lets move on the the 5 points on Linux...

quote:
1. Be productive (no bloated, buggy, crash prone IDE to worry about)

Productivity all depends on what the user is used to and their level of skill and for those who feel IDE is crash prone, there is nothing stopping them from installing a SCSI controller.

quote:
2. Have translucent menu's (my KDE looks faaaar better then winxp)

Again, aesthetics depend solely on the user. Personally, I didn't find WinXP's default skin or classic skin to be very attractive so I dug up a remake of the Whistler skin and run that on all of my XP machines.

quote:
3. Should a program crash and lock up the windowing system I can just slide over to my other pc, kill the offending application and go on with my work.

An application crash can rarely take down 2000 or XP, the Windows Task manager can eliminate any down applications 9 out of 10 times without causing any instability in the OS.

quote:
4. The only BSOD I'll ever see is on the screensaver which comes with some distributions.

It's true that you'll never see a BSOD in any other OS, but that doesn't mean fatal errors don't happen in them, the BSOD just happens to be the most infamous and though be it annoying, I find the NT BSOD to be rather usefull since it points out the file that caused the error in the first place.

quote:
5. Being able to actually thouroughly debug programs I write because of the plethora of debug tools available for and built in the linux operating system, plus the fact that most libraries we use at work are either open source or has the source available, which enables me to find bugs faster by being able to tell what exactly happens when I do a function call in a library (in oposite of microsoft where you have to find out the hard way)

That one was correct... Linux is definately THE platform for programming.

Now, in closing I think I should clear a few things up on where my opinions stand. First, when I defend Windows, I am only defending the NT variations of it, Win9x was without a doubt a horrible OS, almost the the point of being unusable. Second, I do not hate Linux, it simply doesn't fit my needs for anything other than my HTTP/FTP/IRC server, I feel it's an excellent OS for most servers and for programming, it just leaves a lot to be desired in the feild of general desktop usability. And finally, Apple... Apple is a company I strongly dispise, they depend  heavily on hype and aesthetics, neither of which matter in terms of real performance and as a company, they engage in some very childish mudslinging.

Well, that's my two cents...

[ February 07, 2002: Message edited by: Xenoran ]