Author Topic: Word 2000 tmp file deletion PROBLEM!!! Help  (Read 1740 times)

gamma

• Kudos: 0
Word 2000 tmp file deletion PROBLEM!!! Help
« on: 10 May 2002, 21:46 »
I'm using Word 2000(9.0.3821 SR-1) on Dell 866lr, 512 mb, 20gig hdd.  I am editing 100megabyte documents for Phd. that have a mix of pictures in JPEG format and use tables to place these pictures.  

Word has created large tmp files in the directory I am saving my documents in(which it is not supposed to do).  Also large files such as:

c:\documents and settings\hk\local settings\temp\~wrc0002.tmp which is a 28mb file

other large files include

...\locals~1\temp\mso**.wmf
...\locals~1\temp\~wrd****.tmp
...\locals~1\temp\acr**.wmf

I am using system mechanic to view the list of temp files.

Last time I deleted some big Word temp files, the changes I had made to a big document were destroyed even after restoring the recycle-bin-ed files to their original location(using NortoN).  

I am scared to lose my revisions if I delete these files totalling 450mb.  

What can I do?

Thanks

And F M

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2002, 21:51 »
I would chew you out, like we usualy haze windows and M$ users but you seem to be in a genuine bind.

As far as I understand it, those temp. files are created to house the extra data that you are loading in to your documents (i.e. pictures etc.). So what is the problem, is it eating up your hard disk space or something?

Just leve them alone, and once you are done with your paper, trash the whole pile.

Then you can get rid of M$ Word and install a Word Processor that isn't made by Nazi's.

Anyone else have any ideas on how to help this fellow?
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

gamma

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2002, 21:59 »
Thanks psyjax for the quick reply.  The problem is the computer is starting to slowdown even when editing the 20mb files.  "MS WORD" not responding, is a common occurance with task manager.

I thot once you save the file, the tmp files are cleared.  I mean, once I'm done with the work, will I have to include the TMP files on the CD rom for the document to be readable by my professor abroad?  

Thanks

G

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2002, 10:18 »
That's a good question.

I have used Word 2001 on a Mac, so this is the experience I have had with it. It creates the .temp files and keeps them. I think the reason it keeps them is so you can save Undo cache's and other such things.

None the less, a well written program should get rid of the .temp files after it is done.

I dunno...

Test it out. Put your work on a zip or CD and go to another comp and see if it loads fine.

Here is an article pened by M$ on how Word uses temp files. Maybe this will answer your question:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q211632

In any case. Try sending it to your prof, or another computer, or whatever you need to do to make sure it works fine.

Hope that helps.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2002, 16:24 »
what i have to say may not help any in the short term, but it will help a lot in the long term.

Firstly, i have never had this problem, and whenever i have deleted a word temp file (assuming that the actual document is saved and so on properly, and i usually copy the finished document somewhere else as well) there is no change to the actual document.

Secondly, consider getting AbiWord from http://www.abisource.com/download/ and also consider getting OpenOffice from http://www.openoffice.org/
both of these releases emulates word 2002 almost seamlessly, although AbiWord does not save as .doc, it saves as .rtf, which is safer anyway since a macro virus cannot then be attached to your document. OpenOffice does do .doc files though, and both apps can open and edit word documents (and wordperfect documents and a bunch of others) no problem. Also they have both just been ported to run on MacOSX too, which is always nice.

You can uninstall M$ office, and install those applications with virtually no fear that your files will become incompatible. They are both free office suites and they come with full documentation (as files) (which can also be got online seperately), and you will find that they take up less space when installed than an installation of M$ office does.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2002, 17:25 »
I just use AbiWord.

But Mac Writer II seems fine on my Good ole mac classic.

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2002, 02:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by X11:
I just use AbiWord.

But Mac Writer II seems fine on my Good ole mac classic.

Ahhhh... Mac Write!  :D

Those were the days. Makes you wonder why modern word processors top 80MB and MacWrite did it all in under 1MB.

You use MacPaint yet? That's a classic.