Author Topic: Scan Disk BS  (Read 1278 times)

<WnatToProoveWrng>

Scan Disk BS
« on: 5 December 2001, 05:03 »
Honestly ... does scan disk do one damn thing?

theriddler

• VIP
  • Kudos: 54
Scan Disk BS
« Reply #1 on: 5 December 2001, 21:23 »
Yeah, but only because MS subcontracted it out to Norton.  Otherwise, God only knows how irritating it would be.  You can disable the autoscan after a bad shutdown by editing msdos.sys and changing the line "AutoScan=1" to "AutoScan=0" under the [Options] section.

--the riddler

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
Scan Disk BS
« Reply #2 on: 5 December 2001, 12:58 »
Actually, scan disk does two things: it fixes broken chains left behind after an abnormal exit (i.e. BSOD) which happens with regularity when running Windoze. It also gives you the opportunity to delete chain fragments that get lost so they don't clutter up your hard drive. Secondly, it monitors the condition of your HD by alerting you to the presence of bad sectors. This is a good thing to know, as an increasing number of bad sectors lets you know your drive is about to buy the farm so you can back up your data and replace it before it fails completely. It's really a rather useful Windoze utility. Also, scan disk works much better and faster if you start it from the DOS prompt before Windoze actually loads.
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Akronan

• Kudos: 0
Scan Disk BS
« Reply #3 on: 9 December 2001, 06:21 »
It also fixes the boot sector which is often the cause of incorrect readings of the amount of hdd space left. Sometimes you can get "out of disk space" when My Computer states that you have 1gb free. If you run scandisk it detects the fucked boot sector and corrects it.
Fuck You Too

wellmashed

Scan Disk BS
« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2001, 19:51 »
Go to http://grc.com/spinrite.htm

And have a read.

Just to show how infereior scandisk is.

Edit*  Sorry I should have said this before but click "Tell me about spinrite"

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: wellmashed ]

sirjon

• http://www.sirjon.com/
Scan Disk BS
« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2001, 21:16 »
Yeah, but the only reason ScanDisk is "so good" is because the FAT FS is a Piece Of Shit... You have to have a good program like that and "disk defragment" to keep the FS working...
--SirJon