Author Topic: Free ISO editor?  (Read 1067 times)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Free ISO editor?
« on: 17 August 2004, 04:29 »
Yesterday I downloaded the Vector Linux 4.3 ISO, but it doesn't include openoffice and they've dropped Firefox for Mozilla (I find Mozilla too bloated). It would be convenient if I could add these packages directly to the Vector Linux CD.

Are there any good free ISO editors available for either Windows, Linux, or preferably both?

I searched google but it kept on coming up with fucking sod-arse shareware programs.

I don't want any shareware shit, shareware sucks shit.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

flap

• Kudos: 137
Free ISO editor?
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2004, 04:38 »
Just extract the contents of the iso, add whatever files you want, then recreate the iso with mkisofs, or xcdroast etc.
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
Free ISO editor?
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2004, 08:17 »
If you're on the Windows partition, ISObuster, look for 0.99.something (before they made it shareware).  I don't believe there's an equivalent on Linux yet (aside from what flap said).    :(

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
Free ISO editor?
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2004, 16:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by flap:
Just extract the contents of the iso, add whatever files you want, then recreate the iso with mkisofs, or xcdroast etc.

How do you do that?

I have RTFM.

and...

If I extract the ISO and add the files, then reform the ISO and burn it, will the CD remain bootable?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
Free ISO editor?
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2004, 16:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Candidate/BOB:
If you're on the Windows partition, ISObuster, look for 0.99.something (before they made it shareware).  I don't believe there's an equivalent on Linux yet (aside from what flap said).     :(  

I will have a look but older versions of programs tend to disapear.

I fucking hate shareware, you can only use it for so long and then you have to register, and if you uninstall it always leaves some fucking shit behind to slow your computer down and make it so you can't reinstall.

Shareware at first seemed a good idea until I wondered why my old system was starting to slow down after I had tried out a few shareware programs and then I searched my registry and it was full of shit, my hard drive was also riddled with hidden files, and I noticed that every time I booted some of the shareware shit was still being loaded into memory even though I told Winbloze to delete it many years ago.

When I cleaned up my hard drive and rebooted I got loads of errors as Windows still expected the shit to still be there, then I cleaned up my registry, and finally I had to edit WIN.INI and SYSTEM.INI.

And before you say, I'm not a total Fuck head I did uninstall everything properly (You know add remove programs) I didn't just delete the  directories.        

I bet all the shit that gets left behind is bloody  retarded spyware.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
Free ISO editor?
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2004, 03:11 »
Thanks, ISOBuster seems just the tool for the job, as long as the CD remains bootable.

I had problems extracting the openofice tarball despite reading the instructions on the OO website it kept  displaying "unrecoverable error exiting" so I downloaded a very good archive utility called 7-Zip it's Windows only but they say it's Wine compatible. It had not problem extracting the files.

I plan to extract all the files into separate directories then add them to the ISO. I could've just copied the tarballs but I will never fill up the CD so this is far more convenient.

insomnia

• Kudos: 0
Free ISO editor?
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2004, 04:49 »
Eh...
Why don't you just install those 2 packages from a Slackware mirror on your installed Vector system?
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
Free ISO editor?
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2004, 15:17 »
Well I still haven