Author Topic: This damn IE!  (Read 3698 times)

The Auditor

• Kudos: 0
This damn IE!
« Reply #45 on: 15 November 2002, 05:23 »
Just get a new explorer.. like Opera.
as far as IE goes, you have a fair few options.
you can reinstall and leave it alone.. hide it even  
You could uninstall it, microsoft does actually include files for deleting Internet Explorer, you just need to be able to find it. And being microsoft, they arent gonna tell ya.  

(add remove programs helps  ;) (May vary depending on OS, but i know my 2k install had that option, though i did edit it.))
anyhow.

Hope all this helped you out some.
The Auditor
Hungry
"You can always die, it's living that takes courage."

Doctor V

This damn IE!
« Reply #46 on: 15 November 2002, 05:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by [calum@localhost]$:
re: your mozilla data, yes newer versions of netscape are based on mozilla. They are made by AOL, and the extra development and marketing is funded by including some spyware code, as far as i hear. i think this is similar to the realplayer thing where people's browsing habits get sent back. You might be able to sort this out via your firewall but i'm not sure. anyway, mozilla doesn't have any of that crap.

as for getting rid of IE, it is a waste of time trying to install a newer version and then uninstall it. Microsoft does not make an uninstaller for IE, and they do not officially admit that it can be uninstalled. here is a third party application which i used to use on my WinME set up to remove IE, and it works very well. The system is a bit unstable after you have uninstalled IE *HOWEVER* i have never been able to say for certain that it is ANY more unstable than it was beforehand anyway.

honestly the solution is to get linux now. the only way you'll get knowledge is from direct experience. You can get Mandrake Linux 9.0 Standard Edition for US$30 with 30 days of support and a 35 page quick installation guide included, and i promise it is so easy to install that a cuddly toy could do it. Why waste time with windows?

[ November 14, 2002: Message edited by: [calum@localhost]$ ]

As for browsers, I'm of the mind that Mozilla makes Netscape obsolete.  Netscape is based on Mozilla, but has a couple of things a couple of things added, and mostly for marketing.  Also Netscape is not going to be based on the latest version of mozilla.  Most Linuxes quite a bit more difficult to install than Windows, but not Mandrake.  Installing Linux Mandrake 9.0 should take less time then installing windows, and theres really nothing complicated at all about it.  Linux tends to take a short while to learn the ins and outs of, but once one gets the hang of it, it really is better.

The Auditor

This damn IE!
« Reply #47 on: 15 November 2002, 07:47 »
Anyone can install Mandrake 9.
Windows takes longer, works less, and isn't really MICROsoft..
I'm more inclined to call it Macrosoft.
heh.
Basically, IE is trash.. use Opera, mozilla..
Damn it, if all else fails.. Lynx! LOL

The Auditor
"You can always die, it's living that takes courage."

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
This damn IE!
« Reply #48 on: 16 November 2002, 16:58 »
Links is good also, supports tables and frames properly but on an 80x25 console it can look kinda fucked.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
This damn IE!
« Reply #49 on: 17 November 2002, 12:25 »
Nightshift... I noticed a question about Mac. So, here comes a Mac user to fill you in.

Mac OS X is UNIX, and can do all the cool stuff Linux can. You can install XFree86, run KDE, GNOME, the Gimp, et cetera. Mac OS X comes with all the dev tools in the retail boxed set. It includes a terminal with full, unrestricted access to the underlying UNIX.

Mac OS X also has a beautiful UI, more advanced than anything MS, or even any of the Linux desktops offer (even though they're improving day by day). Mac OS X has major app support from Adobe, Corel, Mic>COUGH<ro>HACK<soft, Alias/Wavefront, et al.

You get the good points of Linux, Mac OS/NeXTStep, and Apple hardware. And if you get a new one now, you can still run Mac OS 9, which really does still kick a lot of ass. Oh, yeah, you can run Linux, too!
Go the fuck ~