Author Topic: M$ Excel is great!  (Read 881 times)

dishawjp

• Kudos: 95
    • http://web.lemoyne/~dishawjp
M$ Excel is great!
« on: 25 September 2002, 22:08 »
Yeah, just great... as long as you don't need to get any work done.  At work I have to use M$Office.  I do a lot of work in Excel, also in Access and Word.  It's my job, and it'll be a long time before they ever convert this office to Linux.  Anyway, yeaterday I was just doing some simple cut and pastes of data from some worksheets to be able to properly present some data.  After rebooting Windows for about the 5th time in two hours, Excel suddenly decided not to open any of the .xls files in the directory I was working in.  You could print the spreadsheets, see the data in "print preview," but none of the workbooks would open.  Just a gray screen where the spreadsheets should have been.

I suppose there's good news though.  IT was able to correct the problem by reinstalling Office.  The student they sent down saw my desktop (with the Sick of Crashing.. dump Windows; Go Linux) and a telnet window open to my Linux box, and started telling me how many problems they were having in IT with WinXP and the Win2k servers.  Then he told me that he was running WinME but was unhappy with that.  He's now interested in instaling Linux on one of his computers.

If he does convert, he'll be the third student here that I've converted to Linux in the past month or so.  

Windows is just so bad that when intelligent people are shown that alternatives exist, they can't wait to gt away from it.

Just thought I'd pass this along.

Jim

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
M$ Excel is great!
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2002, 22:25 »
10 minutes ago I got off the phone with someone who is getting ready to convert a 300 seat WinXP shop over to Linux. It appears they ran into a little problem when they upgraded them all to SP1.     Apparently they ghosted all of the machines but entered in a license number where they shouldn't have causing all 300 to have the same licenses and when they installed SP1 290 of them required a visit to enter the correct license.

I certainly don't believe that is the *only* reason for them converting though. The reasons are numerous.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
M$ Excel is great!
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2002, 04:42 »
very cool indeed
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Smoke974

• Kudos: 0
M$ Excel is great!
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2002, 23:12 »
In a country said to be very late on all the IT issues (that is, France, where I live), I was once very happy to hear that the Minist
Take the red pill ...

pkd_lives

• Kudos: 0
M$ Excel is great!
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2002, 23:24 »
Late on IT, and yet they have one of the foremost distros, here's betting which one the Minsitry will be using.

Oh and what the hell - this whole topic has been off topic.

[ September 27, 2002: Message edited by: pkd ]

Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.