Author Topic: Apt-Get w/ the internet?  (Read 1061 times)

ForceSphere

• Kudos: 0
Apt-Get w/ the internet?
« on: 7 February 2003, 03:02 »
I DL'd apt-get and synaptic to install mplayer on my 8.0 RedHat Linux.  I do not have the internet on my linux machine so i used a CD to transfer all the shit.  I went thru Void Main's instructions on how to install them but it shows i have to do it directly from the site which i cannot do because i do not have a modems that works with Linux.  I tried just running the proggies in Linux but it just saying "preparing update" gets about half way and i never see it again... how can i install these w/ the internet?? thanks

pkd_lives

Apt-Get w/ the internet?
« Reply #1 on: 7 February 2003, 03:27 »
As I understand it apt-get is designed specifically to do what you want it not to do. The idea is that it resolves dependancies as you install, so removing the net connection means you are just using standard RPM installation.

You just need to RPM install your files not apt-get.

Edit : and of course resolve dependancies yourself.

[ February 06, 2003: Message edited by: Linux Frank ]

Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
Apt-Get w/ the internet?
« Reply #2 on: 7 February 2003, 03:44 »
It is really pointless to install, let alone use apt-get or synaptic without a connection to the internet. Apt-get uses your connection to retrieve packages and automatically resolve dependencies as you install them. I guess you'll just have to stick with RPM.

Make sure you check this page out! It has great info on both package managers!

[ February 06, 2003: Message edited by: Panos ]

ForceSphere

Apt-Get w/ the internet?
« Reply #3 on: 7 February 2003, 07:01 »
I see, i used the RPM's on Mplayer's site and i got it up working now (i feel so damn stupid becasue it took me an hour to get it up and all codecs on it so i can finally watch a damn Movie)
Thanks for your help

pkd_lives

Apt-Get w/ the internet?
« Reply #4 on: 7 February 2003, 07:10 »
Nothing stupid about it. Mplayer is a particularly well know pain to install. The one thing that will always help. Read everything you can first, before you try to install the app.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

ravuya

• VIP
Apt-Get w/ the internet?
« Reply #5 on: 7 February 2003, 08:01 »
mplayer was easier than hell for me to build from source, even when I wanted to include aalib... configure, make, make install, worked great for me..

however, installing from RPMs was a different story altogether.. *shudder*

ForceSphere

Apt-Get w/ the internet?
« Reply #6 on: 7 February 2003, 08:19 »
Goddamn dude tell me about it, i finally get a codec i see that i need to play Mpeg's in Mplayer and it gives me shit about i needing another file...god damnit, i now know wut RPM hell is, i fear it

Yea if you can slip me a link to a working MPEG, MPG, AVI codec for Mplayer, right now im using MTV and it blows

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Apt-Get w/ the internet?
« Reply #7 on: 7 February 2003, 13:33 »
it took me about nine months to finally get mplayer installed. reason was i was fooling around with rpms thinking they would be easier to use! actually i had to do configure --help to find out all the arguments to give to configure, then i did 'configure' (plus about 3 lines of options), 'make' and 'make install'. Then i followed the instructions for the win32 codecs that it tells you about on the mplayerhq.hu site (i think that's the right url?) and created a directory in /usr/lib/win32 (i think that's where it is) containing the win32 dlls.
Now i can play all the movie types except DVDs   :mad:  oh and i haven't tried out a divX yet either.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

ForceSphere

Apt-Get w/ the internet?
« Reply #8 on: 8 February 2003, 00:38 »
My first intensions where to use RPM's too thinking they'd be like .exe's and be easy to use...my holy christ was i wrong. i got Mplayer installed now but it will only play MP3s.  I tried using .tar's but most of the time it gives me some bullshit that it's not the right format or something, I am DL'ing w32codec.tar.bz2 now in hopes it will work and i can finally watch some MPEGs.

One last thing, i do love linux, i still feel the need for windows because many applications still require only windows (i.e. games and drivers GRRRR i have 5 spare sound cards and none work with redhat)