Author Topic: IE on the Rise  (Read 1905 times)

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
IE on the Rise
« on: 29 August 2002, 20:08 »
Netscape browsers have continued to lose market share at a steady clip, falling to a new low of 3.4 percent as of this week, according to new figures. A year ago, Netscape's market share stood at 13 percent, but fell steeply to 7 percent by March, as IE 6 gained popularity. IE has now reached 96 percent market penetration, according to StatMarket, up from 87 percent a year ago. Mozilla gained some market share when it finally reached a 1.0 release earlier this year, but browsers such as Mozilla and Opera still only accounted for less than 1 percent of the market, StatMarket said.

Read full story here

Zombie9920

IE on the Rise
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2002, 20:09 »
I'll also add my 2 cents. ;P

I am not at all surprised to see that Mozilla only has 1% of the market share and Netscape is losing share. I mean come'on. We all know that IE is the superior browser. Mozilla doesn't even work with extra mouse buttons.

Kat

• Kudos: 0
IE on the Rise
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2002, 20:56 »
Well, you may get the extra mouse button functionality in IE, but Mozilla doesn't crash your OS or infect your system with a virus the way IE can.  Mozilla is my default browser because once you give it an honest try, you realize how much IE sucks for the above reasons and more. BTW, Doesn't Opera have a feature that idenitifies it as IE? If so, IE doesn't have as big as a market as the story says.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
IE on the Rise
« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2002, 23:31 »
I know lots of people who use Opera... it identifies itself as Internet Explorer in most add-free-to-your-website-stat-sites. This also included in the largest stat-site in the world, Nedstat. It even identifies Mozilla as Netscape 6.

dbl221

IE on the Rise
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2002, 01:04 »
quote:
I am not at all surprised to see that Mozilla only has 1% of the market share and Netscape is losing share. I mean come'on. We all know that IE is the superior browser. Mozilla doesn't even work with extra mouse buttons.

Uhm yes it does IDIOT.  You just don't know how to use a computer.  The middle or extra button on a traditional 3-button mouse opens a new tab for browsing.  Asshole
dbl221***Comp-Sys walking wounded

Zombie9920

IE on the Rise
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2002, 01:07 »
You forgot to mention the back and foward mouse shortcut buttons on 5 button mice(like my MS Intellimouse Optical or the 5 button Logitech mouse).

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
IE on the Rise
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2002, 01:37 »
I got Mozilla configured using on my Kengsington trackball to use a four-button mouse. But that's due more to Kengsington's mouse-works software than anything else  :D
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Zombie9920

IE on the Rise
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2002, 01:45 »
It is either the mouse software or maybe Mozilla is better on the Mac.

Doctor V

IE on the Rise
« Reply #8 on: 30 August 2002, 07:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:
I'll also add my 2 cents. ;P

I mean come'on.  If It was'n for M$hit's Pigopolistic ways (illegal bundling), IE would have never taken off.  Nobody liked it before it was bundled, and that dirty tactic basically forced the undeniably superior Netscape out of the market.  I mean come'on.  IE is like a welcome mat for viruses (just like lookout express).  I mean come'on.  Mozilla actually IS faster, and looks a heckuva lot better.  Its more customizable too.  I mean come'on.  Mozilla dosn't keep track of every page you go to, and everything you do on the net, and then send it all to M$ so they can sell off your personal life.  I mean come'on.  You are a real fuck-tard.

V

I mean come'on.  :D

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
IE on the Rise
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2002, 21:46 »
quote:
We all know that IE is the superior browser
I know no such thing. I've used it extensively in the past, back when I still ran Winders. Superior it ain't! IE is responsible for probably 99.9% of the BSODs, it's the slowest browser I've ever used, and it renders lousey-looking fonts even on IE-friendly sites.    

quote:
StatMarket provides Web designers and Web software developers valuable market share data on browsers, operating systems, plug-ins and more. The service gathers information from millions of Internet users a day to more than 125,000 sites worldwide actively using WebSideStory?s HitBox
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

DC

IE on the Rise
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2002, 20:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by dbl221:

Uhm yes it does IDIOT.  You just don't know how to use a computer.  The middle or extra button on a traditional 3-button mouse opens a new tab for browsing.  Asshole

Uhm the default behaviour is to open a new window, not a tab. Or it was that way here, at least (with the version that comes with RH 7.1 and a source build of 1.0). For the record, it isn't actually a *button*, more a wheel (wheelmice are useful thingies. They work in Mozilla too).

But that's besides the point. Mr. Undead: did you configure Linux to use those buttons, and did you configure Mozilla to use them? (why the hell do you need 'back and forward mouse shortcut buttons' anyway?)

Actually, IE in Win has some advantages over other browsers. For example, it's (partially) loaded during OS startup, so the code is in memory, so the program starts faster and stuff. Not that that's technical superiority or anything (not to mention fair), since you *do* need to load it, it is just hidden in the huge startuptimes of Windows. Mozilla actually has to be completely loaded when you execute it.
GS/CS d- s-: a--- C++ UL+ P+ L++>+++ E W++ N>+ o K- w-- O- M V? PS+>++ PE- Y+ PGP t+ 5+ X R tv+ b+++ DI+ D+ G++ e>++++ h! r- y
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
We take a measurement, the wavefunction will collapse, and one of the bottles of beer will fall

Zombie9920

IE on the Rise
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2002, 20:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by jtpenrod:
Furthermore, this data is highly suspect. Opera and Konqueror can both be set up to  "lie" and identify to every site you visit as IE. There's no way for (S)HitBox to know the difference. Sites like these routinely misidentify browsers such as Galeon. And they completely barf when confronted with something like QNX's Voyager.

As for myself, I prefer Mozilla for its speed: it's the fastest browser I've ever used, and for its outstanding copy 'n' paste capability. I like Konqueror and Opera for their superior printing capability. IE is just about the last browser I'd ever use. Towards the end of my Winders-using days, I ditched it with IEradicator.

Their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial design flaws   :D  

Since Linux only holds under 1% marketshare in the OS market, I'm sure that Konqueror and Galeon do not make a very big difference in the percentage of IE use identification. Opera may accomodate like a whole 2 or 3% of the IE identification. IE still hold a unbelievably high slice of the browser pie.

IE isn't slow on a decent system. The only time I thought that IE was slow is when I was working on a 486 in the shop. Of course everything is slow on a 486. ;P IE can be slow on Pentium classics with 16MB or less ram. If you have a modern system IE is not slow at all, end of story.

IE was a culprit for BSODs in Win9x(a Win9x system can be stable with IE though). Anything can be a culprit to BSODs in Win9x because Win9x is an unstable kernel. BSODS from IE in WinNT/2K/XP/.NET are a thing in the past(I have never seen IE cause a BSOD or Kernel shutdown in NT).

trc3

• http://www.sk8mafia4life.com
IE on the Rise
« Reply #12 on: 1 September 2002, 06:37 »
quote:
or maybe Mozilla is better on the Mac.

Everything is better on a mac.

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
IE on the Rise
« Reply #13 on: 1 September 2002, 06:53 »
quote:
[QB]
Of course everything is slow on a 486. ;PQB]

lynx isn't slow on a 486.

:D    :rolleyes:

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
IE on the Rise
« Reply #14 on: 1 September 2002, 07:56 »
quote:

IE isn't slow on a decent system. The only time I thought that IE was slow is when I was working on a 486 in the shop. Of course everything is slow on a 486. ;P IE can be slow on Pentium classics with 16MB or less ram. If you have a modern system IE is not slow at all, end of story.

When i say slow i mean page loading, Mozilla loads in 2 secs in Linux and 3 secs in Windows. And im using quicklaunch in windows. IE loads pages much slower than Mozilla.

Anyway Arachne goes fine on a 386
http://browser.arachne.cz