Author Topic: Anyone know any good calculator programs?  (Read 1626 times)

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Anyone know any good calculator programs?
« on: 6 October 2003, 05:20 »
Does anyone know any good calculator programs for Windows? I need a good calculator program that can do more than just the basic operationgs that calc.exe does. I need it to convert metric/american units in length, weight, and so on. I need it to be able to support variables (for example so I can say x=5 and then just be able to type in 5x+2). I also need it to be able to do logorithms, differnet type of roots and exponents, preferably base conversions, and support known constants like e and pi. Having it do graphs and solve equations would be nice too.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

mushrooomprince

« Reply #1 on: 6 October 2003, 07:03 »
Most operating systems come with a scientific calculator.  YOu have to be joking me to tell me that XP doesn't have what you need for that purpose.
All your base are belong to us.

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #2 on: 6 October 2003, 07:48 »
In Windows XP the standard calculator can be turned into a scientific calculator.

Click View----->Scientific

Xeen

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: 6 October 2003, 21:26 »
Yes, windows does come with a calculator. But its a basic one. The most advanced it can do is some basic trig, logs, and factorials. It cant do anything else. The calculator I've used for the past few years is called Kalkulator, and it's "the mother of all calculators". It can do anything! But I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any other ones because this one does have its limitations and I'm stuck with an old unregistered version too.

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #4 on: 6 October 2003, 10:34 »
wouldn't it have a windows version? if not, maybe you could make one... might compile in cygwin, might have to modify it a little.

Faust

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: 6 October 2003, 10:40 »
Maple is about the only decent windows maths program i know of.  It's very high standard and used on supercomputers etc (it has ports for mac and unix systems as well.)  It's also non free so if you're on a decent OS use octave instead.       ;)    

quote:
In Windows XP the standard calculator can be turned into a scientific calculator.

Yes but it's crap for serious work.  It can't handle variables, unit conversions, base conversions, logic work, all the known constants, graphs, simplifying equations...  Maple and Octave can.  Oh and the XP power toys give you a better calculator but...  well you get what you expect from "XP power *TOY*s."  Oh yeah and Maple can factorize complex equations and works to however many decimal points of accuracy you tell it to.

edit:
and calculus (in as many dimensions as you want) and integration and sums over sigma and limits and it can handle sums that contain infinity...

edit:
and taylors series and evaluating constants (you can use it to find pi to however many decimals you like) and trig (including the arcs and inverses) and recursive formulas and exact values (ie it can give answers of the form "sin(x)/root(2)" unless you tell it to simplify) and definite integrals and graphs in 3 dimensions and parametric curves and complex numbers and systems of equations...

edit:
and if you call in the next ten minutes i'll throw in this free piece of soap!

edit:
and polar coordinate work and hyperbolic trig and the binomial and hypergeometric functions and roots of polynomials and matrices...

[ October 06, 2003: Message edited by: Faust ]

Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

JesusRocks

• http://X11.ROCKS.IT
« Reply #6 on: 6 October 2003, 11:52 »
SCO Unix provides xcalc, an excellent calculator.

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #7 on: 7 October 2003, 01:10 »

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #8 on: 7 October 2003, 01:48 »
Personally, I use my handy Ti-83+, and I know for a fact that you can get an emulator and ROMs for any of the Ti calculators (I know this because I was using an emulator when I didn't have my calculator at home).

I'm not too sure if that's legal, though.

Commander

• Kudos: 52
« Reply #9 on: 7 October 2003, 04:40 »
u can emulate ti legally if u have a calc.

btw quirk, how did u get ur rom to work?  becuase my roms never work.  i'm assuming u r using vti..(i have a ti83+se, and uploaded the roms with tlip)
Ballmer needs a firm kick in the ass.... (since he has no balls)

JesusRocks

• http://X11.ROCKS.IT
« Reply #10 on: 7 October 2003, 14:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by Viper:
xcalc for Windows

My Windows systems all run Refection X, an X server for Windows, which allows me to run an xcalc remotely, I must remember to make a screenshot of this.

Talking of Calculators, why the hell not just write a shell script? Or a program in C, or somthing.

[ October 07, 2003: Message edited by: X11 ]

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #11 on: 8 October 2003, 04:06 »
83 Plus? feh!

the 89, baby. GUI and everything.
Go the fuck ~

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #12 on: 8 October 2003, 04:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by Agent Jimmy James Smith:
83 Plus? feh!

the 89, baby. GUI and everything.

hey, we agree on something   ;)

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #13 on: 8 October 2003, 21:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by X11:

My Windows systems all run Refection X, an X server for Windows, which allows me to run an xcalc remotely, I must remember to make a screenshot of this.

Talking of Calculators, why the hell not just write a shell script? Or a program in C, or somthing.

[ October 07, 2003: Message edited by: X11 ]

Um. That's a pretty decent level of complexity there. And I doubt he'll be using it only once or twice.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #14 on: 8 October 2003, 21:58 »
Stryker... I'm not such a bad guy... once you get to know me!

also... I don't know if it's available for windows, but pcalc is a very good app

[ October 08, 2003: Message edited by: Agent Jimmy James Smith ]

Go the fuck ~