Author Topic: Visual Basic 6.0  (Read 1568 times)

Aaron Ni

• VIP
  • Kudos: 33
Visual Basic 6.0
« on: 24 February 2002, 05:50 »
Ok, right now I'm in an "Intro to Programming in Visual Basic 6.0" class in my local community college and I've heard that C++ and Perl are everything that VB6 is and much much more.  What I'm asking is does anyone have suggestions to any programming languages that kick VB6's ass?  I've also heard that Perl is very easy to learn.

[ February 23, 2002: Message edited by: Aaron ]

You know me.... really...

badkarma

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
Visual Basic 6.0
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2002, 06:58 »
Programming c/c++ under linux kicks VB6's ass bigtime, even if only for the fact that linux is one great big debugging toolkit  

Furthermore c/c++ programs excecute a lot faster when the basic program is interpreted, and a bit faster when it is compiled. Code is a lot more compact and VB programming teaches you some bad programming habits..

I have never used VB much, I learned progrgamming under pascal (turbo pascal 7.0 for dos   ), then learnt c, then java, then c++. Have been programming c++ under linux for about 7 months now professionaly and I could never imagine programming for windows again...
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Visual Basic 6.0
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2002, 07:51 »
And VB is not portable.  You're stuck with Windows as long as you do VB, one of the reasons Microsoft has pushed it so hard from the beginning.  They know VB=monopoly.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Aaron Ni

• VIP
Visual Basic 6.0
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2002, 21:56 »
Thanks you guys, I'll check into the C++ programming class when this quarter is over... Sometimes I'm so pissed at Bill I almost drive up to Redmond just to kick his friggin ass!  Hehe, anyways thanks.

dbl221

Visual Basic 6.0
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2002, 07:48 »
I program in VB, C, Perl, AWK, ksh, bash, and Object Pascal.

Basic perl is easy to learn if you know C, but perl  has a very wierd syntax that a lot of programmers don't like.  I like it but hey!

VB is just for windows and it is VERY popular in the "real world".

The closest thing to VB for Linux is Kylix, but it uses the object pascal language.

Perl is still my all time fav....they is so much code out there for perl it just blows my mind....there is a module for anything you can think of.......anything.

I would say you cant go wrong learning C or C++ or Perl.

Good Luck.
dbl221***Comp-Sys walking wounded

lost

• http://www.23.org/
Visual Basic 6.0
« Reply #5 on: 25 February 2002, 21:50 »
i wont call anyone a tard wrangler this time, especially on the shitty subject of VB.  Tip one, stay away from VB.  Tip two, stay away from microsoft programming languages.  Tip three, stay away from microsoft for any type of system/application development.  Tip four, PHP rules.  If you want a scripting language take a look at PHP.  PHP RULES!
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

[email protected]

Aaron Ni

• VIP
Visual Basic 6.0
« Reply #6 on: 26 February 2002, 01:16 »
I've checked PHP out and isnt that for websites?  I've been using HTML and CSS on my crappy site which his located here and I know of two sites made by one guy Charles who's a self proclaimed "PHP Magician" DTIS & Charleschadwick.com.

Though I'll look into PHP being a programming language.

voidmain

• VIP
Visual Basic 6.0
« Reply #7 on: 26 February 2002, 02:24 »
You are correct, PHP is for web programming and you would not use it for a standalone application. Equivelant to ASP on MS servers but it is portable between any NIX or MS server, unlike ASP.  Sort of like the difference between C/C++ and Visual Basic for applications.  PHP is not what you want for the question that you asked, but the only thing that he said right about PHP is that it is very good, I love it for web programming.

[ February 25, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Aaron Ni

• VIP
Visual Basic 6.0
« Reply #8 on: 1 March 2002, 06:07 »
Ok so I've checked out all the programming classes and the next one I can take is "Programming in C" and the next in row is "Programming in C++"  

But I've found that all the software for programming is MS.  Like it's all in "Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0" and it has the different programs of ".. in Visual Basic 6.0" or ".. in C++ 6.0" and ".. in InterDev 6.0"  But it's all MS software!

I know that the C++ and C isnt different if in a MS program and unfortunately I'm stuck at SPSCC which doesnt have a wide choice of computer classes that I'm interested in.

dbl221

Visual Basic 6.0
« Reply #9 on: 1 March 2002, 06:28 »
Well if you are just doing basic programming and some console applications C is just C,  not much that is OS specific.

It is traditional to learn C then C++........and VB is often used as a "first language".

If you really want to learn Unix programing just install Linux and use the gcc.....lots of web pages out there that can help you get started using gcc once you have learned C.

I always say....a conditional is a conditional, and a while loop is a while loop .......pretty much the same in any language.

Once you have mastered one language it is much easier to learn others.

Good Luck

Nerull

• http://www.HarmGroup.da.ru
Visual Basic 6.0
« Reply #10 on: 1 March 2002, 21:57 »
I did VB for a while but i'm learning C/C++ As i speak this is much better and even works in M$ !
Greets Nerull
When UNIX Geeks Have Sex: who | grep -i hottie | date | cd ~; uptime; unzip; head; touch; finger; mount; ramsize; gasp; yes; umount; sleep

lost

• http://www.23.org/
Visual Basic 6.0
« Reply #11 on: 7 March 2002, 04:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by VoidMain:
You are correct, PHP is for web programming and you would not use it for a standalone application. Equivelant to ASP on MS servers but it is portable between any NIX or MS server, unlike ASP.  Sort of like the difference between C/C++ and Visual Basic for applications.  PHP is not what you want for the question that you asked, but the only thing that he said right about PHP is that it is very good, I love it for web programming.

[ February 25, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

It is true that PHP was designed for Server Side website development.  Bu with recent advances there is no reason it cannot be an application language also.  It runs from the command prompt like perl, it has a gtk interface.  Its object based, looks like an application language to me now.
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

[email protected]

voidmain

• VIP
Visual Basic 6.0
« Reply #12 on: 7 March 2002, 21:13 »
You are correct.  I think I added that to another post in another topic area. Shortly after I posted that message I noticed on the GTK piece on the PHP web site.

dbl221

Visual Basic 6.0
« Reply #13 on: 7 March 2002, 10:02 »
Hey gang.... I just tried writing a little Ruby script.   I found Ruby to be very easy to get started in, plus it is OO and has regular expressions like Unix/perl etc.

Very clean and neat, but not many modules out there for it.  

I_love_macs

Visual Basic 6.0
« Reply #14 on: 10 March 2002, 06:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by VoidMain:
And VB is not portable.  You're stuck with Windows as long as you do VB, one of the reasons Microsoft has pushed it so hard from the beginning.  They know VB=monopoly.

You can port VB to the mac whit REAL Basic even if it does not have total compatibility.