Author Topic: Infinite Browser Spawn  (Read 5539 times)

mr6re9

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.execulink.com/~mr6re9/
Infinite Browser Spawn
« on: 4 April 2002, 04:19 »
For all of you who use Linux occasionally and have Konqueror, Mozilla or Netscape; Here is a buggy website. It only affects Linux. The reason I believe, is a line that checks Flash 5 version and windows registry key. If you go to the site designers (vpi.net) page you will find that their flash programming is fine and they claim to support Linux.

This is a classic example of a bloated M$ banner blasted site with too many cookies, java script and poorly done flash.

Sites like this make it difficult for me to move my kids away from windows. The webmaster for vpi claims to have fixed the problem but it persists. I was told to install a newer version of Flash. NOT!

My Flash works just fine when I go Here

farmer6re9

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
Infinite Browser Spawn
« Reply #1 on: 4 April 2002, 04:37 »
You diabolical sick bastard, you sent me to an olsen twins website!! What the hell was going on in your twisted little mind when you put this link here?!!! Did you actually think that anyone would be anything But thankful that the olsen twins website wont work??

Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

mr6re9

• http://www.execulink.com/~mr6re9/
Infinite Browser Spawn
« Reply #2 on: 4 April 2002, 05:36 »
You obviously don't understand what it's like to maintain computers in a home with kids that frequent badly coded websites, use Hotmail, MSN and download Gb's of crap. You were not forced by anyone to *CLICK* on the link, if you were curious as to what this sites bad code does to a Linux browser, that was your option. This post was put in All Things Microsoft>>Applications>>Infinite Browser Spawn. Very Clear what was going to happen if you chose to *CLICK*. Content of the page is irrelevant.

I personally do not care for the commercialized twins either, but when you have a daughter that's into all that hype maybe you'll understand. Maybe when your irresponsible teenage kids regularly screw up your network with all the Windows crap, you'll understand. Maybe when you try to get your kids to kick the IE habit and run into malignant web sites such as this, you'll understand.

Web Masters that code with only Windows IE in mind is a trend we must all deal with. This was the example I had to deal with. Your short sighted comments are unacceptable and an apology is in order. Otherwise let's continue to debate...<Graemlins Omitted>

farmer6re9

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
Infinite Browser Spawn
« Reply #3 on: 4 April 2002, 05:38 »
A review of the site mentioned here:

In my (Not so humble!) opinion this is a very overworked site. The start page looks more like a newspaper with all the information in small boxes on the left, big newsflashes in the middle and ad-like features on the right and bottom. Too much information to me. I thought they would have hired better webmasters than that.

BTW, how can they still be called "America
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

Centurian

• http://www.darkmares.2ya.com
Infinite Browser Spawn
« Reply #4 on: 4 April 2002, 08:57 »
Hey,

quote:
Originally posted by farmer6re9:

I personally do not care for the commercialized twins either, but when you have a daughter that's into all that hype maybe you'll understand. Maybe when your irresponsible teenage kids regularly screw up your network with all the Windows crap, you'll understand. Maybe when you try to get your kids to kick the IE habit and run into malignant web sites such as this, you'll understand.

farmer6re9

I have a solution for this problem. On my comp under windows my kids can't find Internet Explorer even though it is there. I removed every single link to it from the desktop. My kids use Mozilla 0.9.9 under windows when they are usng my comp.

I know how it is they are used to using IE at school but if it isn't available at home then if they wish to access the net they "will" use what is available or they simply won't access the net at home.

Further they learn Mozilla very quickly. It is actually easier to use than IE once you begin getting used to it.
Later
Centurian

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
Infinite Browser Spawn
« Reply #5 on: 4 April 2002, 09:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by Centurian:
Hey,

I have a solution for this problem. On my comp under windows my kids can't find Internet Explorer even though it is there. I removed every single link to it from the desktop. My kids use Mozilla 0.9.9 under windows when they are usng my comp.

I know how it is they are used to using IE at school but if it isn't available at home then if they wish to access the net they "will" use what is available or they simply won't access the net at home.

Further they learn Mozilla very quickly. It is actually easier to use than IE once you begin getting used to it.

Hey, that should be a guerilla tactic for that guy who presented himself here a few days ago. Go into an office full of computers, trash the IE icon and put Mozilla, Netscape, Opera or whatever you like on the computers and walk out whistling a tune, "Mission impossible" or "Start me up, perhaps?
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

Master of Reality

• VIP
Infinite Browser Spawn
« Reply #6 on: 4 April 2002, 09:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by Master of Reality:
You diabolical sick bastard, you sent me to an olsen twins website!! What the hell was going on in your twisted little mind when you put this link here?!!! Did you actually think that anyone would be anything But thankful that the olsen twins website wont work??

oh god, i really need some sleep.

as for the website, i couldnt manage to look at the site in redhat yet (just installed). In win98 using netscrape 4.79 it freezes my computer every time.
Disorder | Rating
Linux User #283518

Centurian

Infinite Browser Spawn
« Reply #7 on: 4 April 2002, 22:32 »
Hey,

I went to that site under windos earlier using Mozilla 0.9.9 and it worked fine. However under Mandrake using Mozilla 0.9.4 it does do the perpetual window thing. Kind of sucks.

quote:

Hey, that should be a guerilla tactic for that guy who presented himself here a few days ago. Go into an office full of computers, trash the IE icon and put Mozilla, Netscape, Opera or whatever you like on the computers and walk out whistling a tune, "Mission impossible" or "Start me up, perhaps?

HEHEH that would be funny.

I can hear it now "OMG where did my IE go"
LMAO
Later
Centurian

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Infinite Browser Spawn
« Reply #8 on: 4 April 2002, 11:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by farmer6re9:
You obviously don't understand what it's like to maintain computers in a home with kids that frequent badly coded websites, use Hotmail, MSN and download Gb's of crap. You were not forced by anyone to *CLICK* on the link, if you were curious as to what this sites bad code does to a Linux browser, that was your option. This post was put in All Things Microsoft>>Applications>>Infinite Browser Spawn. Very Clear what was going to happen if you chose to *CLICK*. Content of the page is irrelevant.

Web Masters that code with only Windows IE in mind is a trend we must all deal with. This was the example I had to deal with. Your short sighted comments are unacceptable and an apology is in order. Otherwise let's continue to debate...<Graemlins Omitted>

farmer6re9

Hmmmm im only 14 and i use Linux for just about anything, i have a hotmail, and i use MSN. But not frqently. I use MSN because chicks do. And my hotmail works with MSN. But the only person who screw the network here is my mum with all her crap software. She once tried to Netnanny my PC.
Sadly i had to explain why it wont work in linux  

Anyway, see ya

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Infinite Browser Spawn
« Reply #9 on: 4 April 2002, 11:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by Centurian:
Hey,

My girlfriend is the regular MSN, IE user. but i shown who netscape she said "Whoa, so fats do you have cable?"
That is not a joke that is true. Anyway who wole family now are hooked on Mozilla, well netscape.

Centurian

Infinite Browser Spawn
« Reply #10 on: 5 April 2002, 00:14 »
Hey,

If you can get them to move over to Mozilla they will have better speed and less bloat.
Later
Centurian

iancom

Infinite Browser Spawn
« Reply #11 on: 7 April 2002, 05:37 »
Going back to the original post about sites actually crashing browsers...

I do think it is absolutely inexcusable that sites are not properly tested on a good variety of OS's and browsers (obviously it's impossible to test all combinations, but please make and effort!). This especially applies to commercial sites - they seem to take the view that 90% of their audience will be using IE on either Windows or MacOS, so why bother developing the site with anything else in mind?

However, in this case I'd have to say that it has to be either Mozilla or the Flash plugin itself that is primarily at fault - no html, java, Flash etc should be capable of causing the whole browser to just shut down completely like it did when I tried that link (perhaps it's actually a built in safety feature of Mozilla that won't allow you to see content that would offend).

I know that Mozilla is designed to be as compliant as possible with standards and that much of the stuff out there written for IE is extremely poor, but it still should not be capable of actually crashing the browser!

Let's hope little things like that are sorted for the long-awaited 1.0 release!

Oh, and don't even get me started on web sites that don't even *try* to provide any support. The following from a *major* UK catalogue store (don't worry it doesn't crash your browser!):

http://www.argos.co.uk/

If you went to that on anything other than IE, all you see is a note saying that support for Netscape rendering engine is coming soon.

It's been like that for at least a year.

There are many more, but that's a particularly good example!

Master of Reality

• VIP
Infinite Browser Spawn
« Reply #12 on: 7 April 2002, 06:02 »
i used mozilla and red hat, (forced myself to look at those spawns of evil, i'm still trying to get the dirt off) It worked absolutley fine. The video thing in the middle loaded properly. The only thing wrong was that it said "<p=align..>" because the wemaster screwed up a tag.
Disorder | Rating
Linux User #283518

iancom

Infinite Browser Spawn
« Reply #13 on: 7 April 2002, 17:12 »
Had you updated your Flash plugin? Perhaps it's a problem with the default one on Mozilla.

I'm using Mozilla 0.9.9 on RH 7.2 / Gnome, and it died a horrible death when trying to start the Flash plugin! All other flash things that I've come across have been okay with it.