Author Topic: Nintendo Gamecube... comments?  (Read 3880 times)

iancom

• Kudos: 0
Nintendo Gamecube... comments?
« on: 30 April 2002, 01:12 »
I'm not really a huge gamer as it were, and the last console I bought was the Sega Megadrive <mumble> years ago...

However, I think it's time I re-entered the market, and was thinking about the Gamecube that's coming out in Europe this Friday.

So, my question is mostly directed at those across the pond (or those in Japan if we have any!) who might already have one... what are they like, would you recommend buying one, and if so, what game should I buy first?

The X-Box has just dropped in price dramatically over here, but I'll be damned if I'm going to voluntarily encourage Microsoft. Therefore the other alternative is the PS2, but the Gamecube is cheaper and for reasons that I can't quite fathom just appeals more to me!

Ian

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2002, 01:39 »
It depends on what games you like.

I personaly aim to own them both.

I love Zelda, Mario, Metroid and all the traditional nintendo titles. Not to mention Nintendo's quality and entertainment value.

PS2 has the 3rd party support the GameCube lacks.

However, recently some very big developers have shifted key franchises over to the gamecube. Square and Capcome have left the PS2 and XBox to develop games for Nintendo. So has Sega.

The only system that is left in the mud right now is the XCrox. The price drops are due to the fact that the XBox is looking to become a major faliur.

Thank god.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2002, 02:06 »
i recommend the PS2.. actually i recommend the kick-ass SEGA Genesis.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

iancom

« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2002, 02:19 »
I'm a big fan of the Doom/Hexen types of games... The most recent game that I played to death on the PC was American McGee's Alice (which I enjoyed even more because of the Trent Reznor soundtrack!).

I gather Resident Evil should be coming out on the Gamecube in Europe in the next few months, and reckon that should be a good bet.

In the meantime I was thinking Rogue Leader and maybe the new Sonic One (having wasted much of my time at Uni playing the original Sonic!)

SpeeDFreaK

• Kudos: 109
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2002, 04:28 »
I say gamecube because it looks cool and it's very small. It's cheaper than anything else out there, and some of the games are extremely addictive (anyone who has played SSBM or even the original SSB with 4 players knows what I am talking about  :D  ), has 4 player support already, and there's no DVD drive to bump up the price. But if you want DVD, you could import a Panasonic Cube.
"George Bush says 'we are losing the war on drugs'. Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and people on drugs are winning it! Well what does that tell you about drugs? Some smart, creative motherfuckers on that side."  --Bill Hicks

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2002, 04:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by SpeeDFreaK:
I say gamecube because it looks cool and it's very small. It's cheaper than anything else out there, and some of the games are extremely addictive (anyone who has played SSBM or even the original SSB with 4 players knows what I am talking about   :D   ), has 4 player support already, and there's no DVD drive to bump up the price. But if you want DVD, you could import a Panasonic Cube.

its not cheaper than a SEGA Genesis
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

leon

« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2002, 04:47 »
i would say the playstation 2 or game cube. the playstation 2 has grand theft auto 3. which is a great game and it had final fantasy 10. also if you like 1st person games there is armored core 2.if you have playstation one games you can play most of the on the ps2, which is nice.

on the other hand gamecube is cheaper and has 4 controller sockets unlike the ps2, but the only game i have liked so far is ssbm because its fun and i can take out my frustration, but more games are suppose to be coming out like metroid, mario sunshine, star fox and zelda(which looks weird.)
every time you masturbate god kills a kitten.

leon

« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2002, 04:49 »
if you get gamecube i would get super smash brothers melee and if your getting ps2 i would get gta3 or ffX

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #8 on: 30 April 2002, 05:22 »
PS/2 can have more than 2 controllers with the Multi-Tap boxes. We've got one Multi-Tap box which allows us to have a total of 5 controllers and you can piggy-back the Multi-Tap boxes. Gran Tourismo III is pretty cool. We've been playing it for months now and still have only managed to get half way though the game. Graphics are awesome.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

SpeeDFreaK

• Kudos: 109
« Reply #9 on: 30 April 2002, 21:23 »
that game is so addictive. If I could only get my hands on a street legal Skyline GT-R with lotsa horsepower in the US for a reasonable price... hell, I'd be glad just to get one.  :D
"George Bush says 'we are losing the war on drugs'. Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and people on drugs are winning it! Well what does that tell you about drugs? Some smart, creative motherfuckers on that side."  --Bill Hicks

badkarma

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: 30 April 2002, 18:01 »
I'm planning on buying a gamecube in june. I was doubting wether to get a ps2 or a cube but chose for the cube due to the fact that it's the most developers friendly box at the moment which in the end will mean that there will be better titles in earlier generations, and the only reason I would buy the ps2 is because of the linux kit for it (cause SDL is ported to the PS2 along with a small OpenGL implementation, which means it would be pretty easy to write your own stuff for it, with a few restrictions though....)
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

mael

« Reply #11 on: 1 May 2002, 06:41 »
If you are looking for a system with the most games or best support, theres no disputing it, the PS2 is the way to go.  From my experience in the video game world (and owning a psx), i'll always choose quality over quantity.  My choice was the gamecube (i got me the purple one  ;) ), but i hope to get a nice ps2 to compliment it in the future.

Microsoft done fucked up bad (i had to throw some hillbilly into it) by trying to take on sony's market.  Of the two systems Nintendo would have been the easiest to overcome.  The xbox is getting port after frigkin port of old ps2 games.. and while they look a bit better, they are still ports.  

My final sum up:

Its good to see you've chosen not to go with the shit-box.  If you are a patient person and love nintendo's franchises, get a GC (yes, it is getting some great support like an incredible RE game (the RE series is now exclusive to the cube) that'll i'll be picking up tomorrow.. a sqaure game, and plenty of wonderful stuff in the future).  If you want tons of games at your finger tips now, definately go with the ps2.
Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

leon

« Reply #12 on: 1 May 2002, 07:27 »
the ps2 will also being going online, which i dont think the xbox or gamecube will be doing, but i could be wrong

trc3

• http://www.sk8mafia4life.com
« Reply #13 on: 1 May 2002, 15:29 »
By far the ps2 is the best ive got xbox and ps2 and well all i can say is, you wanna buy a xbox???...
That damn thing sucks ass, all the games ive seen except halo blow goats. And about ps2 going on line, i know you can already play tony hawk pro skater3 online(ive done it) all you need is a ethernet adapter witch i bought at frys for like $30...Although its not "online" offically through sony their are servers up you can play thps3 on with other people, about other games i dont really know... I use to have a link to a site that showed you how to set everything up but i cant find it, ill try and find it and post it on here...

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #14 on: 1 May 2002, 15:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by Master of Reality:

its not cheaper than a SEGA Genesis

The Sega Genesis was horrible. It was a 16bit system that only supported 512 colors and it had a really crappy sound chip in it(which is why you would hear voice crackling in charactor speech). If you want to stick with 16-bit gaming go for the SuperNES. It supports over 16 million colors and it had a halfway decent sound chip in it(no sound crackiling at all).

Anyways, Why have a bunch of old consoles like the SNES and Genesis sitting around taking up space in your house when you can just use an emulator and roms for those systems on your PC? Oh yeah! Thats right, you don't use Windows....so much for good emulators. LOL

You know, some good ol' classic 16-bit gaming sounds fun right about now. I think I'm gonna go burn some time on Super Metroid. I should have it beat before 8 A.M.  

[ May 01, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]