Author Topic: New tool is able to convert Xbox data to PC (Windows 9  (Read 1500 times)

Gooseberry Clock

• Kudos: 0
    • http://redrangersoftware.cjb.net/
New tool is able to convert Xbox data to PC (Windows 9
« on: 1 September 2002, 01:14 »
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php3?ID=4627  
quote:
There is a new tool available on the internet that could be the first step for a Xbox emulator. The tool that is still in its early stages (v.0.30) is able to convert Xbox executables into PC executables.

The Xbox games however still call for some functions that are only available in the Xbox and these functions need to be emulated. The software however is promising and the ultimate goal is to run Xbox software on a compatible PC.

Expected limitations:

Since the xbox is essentially an x86 pc system inside of a box with specific hardware and a specific operating system, there is practically a 1 to 1 hardware requirement for accurate emulation. it would be possible for cxbx to run software on a faster pc, but a pc slower than an actual xbox will run software slow. it is expected that you will need about a 750mhz processor and a capable video card in order to emulate most xbox software.

Work completed:

The process of converting an xbox executable (.xbe) to a windows "portable executable" (PE, [.exe]) has been a success. despite rumors floating around, .xbe -> .exe converstion is entirely possible, and is already being done. the problem is that a lot of work is necessary to fullfill the environmental expectations of an xbox executable. most importantly, kernel exports and certain hardware are expected, and must be emulated. the kernel emulation will be done by wrapping around existing win32 api. this is explained in the progress section.

If you think this is intresting and want to download this tool, then head over to the caustik homepage here!

[ September 02, 2002: Message edited by: * Red Ranger Software * / Blob ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #1 on: 1 September 2002, 01:18 »
"PC Executables?" what does that stand for? police constable? political correctness? personal character? poofy cunts? pride & corruption? pervasive collaboration?

there's no such thing as a PC executable. you mean a windows executable, don't you, dicksplash?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #2 on: 1 September 2002, 01:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
"PC Executables?" what does that stand for? police constable? political correctness? personal character? poofy cunts? pride & corruption? pervasive collaboration?

there's no such thing as a PC executable. you mean a windows executable, don't you, dicksplash?

Comeon Calum, give credit where it's due. This was an apropriate post. We were talking about the viability of an XBox emulator ages ago.

This is a good followup and I think it's about time such a program was reveald. Kudos to Gooseberry for a good, on topic, and relevant post.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #3 on: 1 September 2002, 04:33 »
yeah, yeah. however goosey and macman should both learn the difference between PCs and Microsoft Windows. it's not too difficult...

sporkme

• Kudos: 149
    • http://sporkme.net/
« Reply #4 on: 1 September 2002, 14:23 »
how do they do it?
just that you do not take an interest in politics does not mean that politics will not take an interest in you.  -pericles 430 b.c.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #5 on: 1 September 2002, 18:30 »
quote:
http://www.caustik.com/cxbx/progress.htm : one of the necessary emulation areas for cxbx is something i call kernel hijacking. basically, during the life time of an .xbe file, the code grabs pointers to kernel export functions (any of about 366) and calls them using those addresses. the fact that .xbes use a kernel thunk table makes it reasonably easy to hijack these calls and fake them, so that the .xbe can be executed on your pc. hijacking the function calls is simply a matter of modifying the entries in the kernel thunk table.

it is necessary to accurately fake all of the 366 kernel export functions, in such a way that the .xbe sees no difference between them and the "real" xbox kernel exports. this is a relatively daunting task, but is by no means impossible. with help from other people in the xbox hacking scene, these kernel exports will be emulated and the next stage of emulation will continue.

foobar

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
« Reply #6 on: 2 September 2002, 18:57 »
Hm. can't wait to hear when all kernel thunking ( :confused:  what ??) is done, when we don't need an xbox to play your favo games.

Calum, i think you are right and people should see the difference between windoze and pc games. If it says 'pc', i think it should run on _any_ platform, SunOS, Linux, UNIX, wha eva.
Linux user #283039

Gosh, I love Linux Quake.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #7 on: 3 September 2002, 00:03 »
me too. it should run on MacOS too. as macman is SO fond of telling us, his MAC has got "PC" printed on the case.

chrispy87

« Reply #8 on: 10 October 2002, 06:25 »
an xbox emulator would be hell cool cause theres no way in hell im buying an xbox but i still want to play rares new games

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #9 on: 10 October 2002, 06:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by chrispy87:
...but i still want to play rares new games

Ouch.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

mael

« Reply #10 on: 10 October 2002, 06:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by chrispy87:
an xbox emulator would be hell cool cause theres no way in hell im buying an xbox but i still want to play rares new games

Unless you plan on stealing the game, you'll still be giving money to Microsoft.  Even if it was a 3rd party company, you are giving a percentage to Microsoft.  Nope, the best thing to do is actually buy a stack of xbox's and destroy them.  They lose close to 150 a system and make it back by selling games.  Its been my dream to suddenly become a millionaire, by a half a mill xboxs out there and burn 'em.  
Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.