Author Topic: Can someone pass me the sledge hammer?  (Read 1466 times)

sirdiesalot1112

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.linux-freeks.cjb.net
Can someone pass me the sledge hammer?
« on: 3 September 2002, 20:29 »
Have you people heard of AMD's net Hammer CPU's they are 64-bits of pure pleasure, and Microdick is scrambling to get XP to support it... hehe. As you all know, linux has been prepared for a long time    I am hoping AMD will advertise Linux as being the most compatable OS with the CPUs, but M$ probly has AMD by the ballz  :(  

Does everyone think that the new AMD CPU will bring more "fallowers" to the linux comunity? I sure do hope so...
I have seen the light, and it's  in the form of a penguin....

sporkme

• Kudos: 149
    • http://sporkme.net/
« Reply #1 on: 3 September 2002, 22:17 »
amd is better off than intel

i think the ability of linux to use the processor will benifit amd and the linux community with or without advertizing

techies know, and it had a trickle-down effect.  i'll see if i can find some good stuff about this on tomshardware or wherever
just that you do not take an interest in politics does not mean that politics will not take an interest in you.  -pericles 430 b.c.

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #2 on: 4 September 2002, 00:22 »
hehehe, hell yeah, hacking x86 to the next level x86-64,

hmmmm
when amd was first showing it off

demonstrating the processer running 32bit windows and 64 bit linux

hmmmmm, 64bit winxp, that will probably cost use like 600, cuase it has twice as many bits as ia32, and they would naturally have to double the cost, then agian, intel fucked up witht the itanium
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

sirdiesalot1112

« Reply #3 on: 4 September 2002, 00:55 »
Well from what i understand there are two "hammer" CPU's the clawhammer and the Opteron aka. "Sledgehammer." the clawhammer is a singal 64bit CPU while the Opteron is duel 64Bit CPU's on one chip (WOO!) giving it a fake 128Bit interface. personally imma get me duel Opterons the 4400+'s thats like 3Ghz or something, i dunno. if intel keeps going they way they are, there is gonna be a 50Ghz Pentuim 8 and a 5Ghz hammer, and the Hammer will be 2X faster and 3X cheaper. ok, well not to that extreem, but still. I hope intel falls on it's face. anywho, supposidly the clawhammer (singal CPU chip) will be out after Christmas (THANKS SANTA!) and the Opterons are gonna come out some time first quarter of 2003...

I am interested in seeing how AMD does in the low end server market.... will be a site to see...

sirdiesalot1112

« Reply #4 on: 4 September 2002, 00:59 »
Oh yeah, Please move this post to a new topic, as it does not belong in this particulare subject of "all things microsoft"

thank you administrator in advance.

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #5 on: 4 September 2002, 07:41 »
actually, from what I read, the 64bit windows XP was out before the 32bit one -- it just had a very hush hush type of enterance. Or at least  that's what I read in PC World (almost a year ago).

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #6 on: 5 September 2002, 05:55 »
umm, 64bit xp, ummm, ITANIUM/*or however you spell that lame ass excuse for a piece of silicon*/
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

smokey

« Reply #7 on: 6 September 2002, 21:00 »
does this mean if we have to use windows we have to use windows xp 64bit   :(
//this is how I was born :)

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/mybrain

Tip for win98 (l)users: type copy /con/con in your command prompt to increase stability

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #8 on: 6 September 2002, 21:26 »
well Microsoft does have a habit of deprecating products they still haven't got to work properly and making people shell out for new stuff that is full of bugs but is expensive as hell, so what do you think?
64bit hardware sounds like the perfect excuse to force their new OS down people's throats. Also, what with hardware manufacturers getting all the dough from upgrades, do you think Microsoft will not want not only a piece of the pie but a whole pie for themselves?
quote:
Originally posted by TheQuirk:
actually, from what I read, the 64bit windows XP was out before the 32bit one -- it just had a very hush hush type of enterance. Or at least  that's what I read in PC World (almost a year ago).

yes, but isn't it a steaming pile of pants? as voidmain says, it doesn't count if it doesn't support that hardware properly
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

badkarma

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: 6 September 2002, 13:45 »
actually, the AMD 64 bit processors also have a 32 bit mode, so you don't need xp 64 bit, however for optimal performance it would be better (then again, linux ofcourse has built in support for 64bit architectures, so why bother?  ;) )
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #10 on: 7 September 2002, 17:37 »
Well my next upgrade will be too AMD after seeing benchmarks comparing a 1.6ghz AMD to a 2ghz Intel, and the AMD kicked its hairy ass.

If it is a 64bit x86 cpu then like when the x80 went 32 bit (to the x86) a conversion table will be made.

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #11 on: 7 September 2002, 21:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ex Eleven / b0b:
Well my next upgrade will be too AMD after seeing benchmarks comparing a 1.6ghz AMD to a 2ghz Intel, and the AMD kicked its hairy ass.

If it is a 64bit x86 cpu then like when the x80 went 32 bit (to the x86) a conversion table will be made.

The intel 2.8ghz p4b's are better performers then athlon XP 2600's.

BlackSnow

• http://www.newtolinux.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: 12 September 2002, 19:18 »
That would be right....

Athlon XP 2600+ is 1.95GHz

Intel 2.8Ghz

How can you compare them two?

It's like comparing a 266mhz to a 1.1ghz and saying the 1.1Ghz is better  

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #13 on: 12 September 2002, 21:05 »
not really, if the architecture of the chip is the same then you can compare clock speed, but if not then all comparisons of that nature are out of the window, and that's what AMD are trying to make people realise after intel's military campaign of getting people to think that xMhz=xSpeed.

Take the risc chips for instance, they have an incredibly low flop count for what they do compared with... any other chip! and those motorola chips that apple use, they're risc based, and so they have a lot better flop-to-stuff ratio than an intel does.

This all has to be taken into consideration. Regarding whether an intel or an AMD performs better, it depends on whether you are processing integers or floating points. Most windows programs are probably expecting an intel chip, so they will try and convert everything to integers to make it run faster, and if you are using an AMD chip (better at floating points) then you will notice a slight performance dropoff. Run a program with all floating point calculations though, and check the difference.

This is all aqcademic though, personally i have never been too interested in comparing chip speeds...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism