Author Topic: How to make an X-box and throw democracy out the window at the same time  (Read 3098 times)

cocoamix

• Kudos: 0
quote:
Originally posted by The Rev. Annorax:
Microsoft, the American way???? someone better pass me that crack bowl, it needs to go away!!!!!

Seriously, if Microsoft and Walmart were removed from the face of the earth life would be 99.9% perfect...

Can we add Starbucks to that list too?

ravuya

• VIP
Not to be pro-MS in this situation, but you have to think about where the other companies put their shit together.

The microchips inside your machines are probably built in some third-world nation where they treat people just as bad. Apple used to have a manufacturing plant (dunno if they still do) in Malaysia, with pretty rotten working conditions.

FYI, Dell assembles their kit in the States using prison labor.

Just wanted to bring up some points here before you accuse Microsoft of exploiting cheap third-world labor; because, to be honest, damn near every company in North America and Europe does it.

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
quote:
Originally posted by Ravuya:
Not to be pro-MS in this situation, but you have to think about where the other companies put their shit together.

The microchips inside your machines are probably built in some third-world nation where they treat people just as bad. Apple used to have a manufacturing plant (dunno if they still do) in Malaysia, with pretty rotten working conditions.

FYI, Dell assembles their kit in the States using prison labor.

Just wanted to bring up some points here before you accuse Microsoft of exploiting cheap third-world labor; because, to be honest, damn near every company in North America and Europe does it.

My point exactly. All big corporations have some skeletons to bring forth. So, Dell is using inmates to make their computers? Maybe
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
quote:
Originally posted by cocoamix:

Can we add Starbucks to that list too?

nestle too. they are responsible for so many human rights atrocities it doesn't bear thinking about them. a boycott and flood of letters their way would help too.

Oh yes, we can add glaxo-smithkline-beecham, gillette and colgate palmolive too since they all test on animals, which is unnecessary in this day and age and is totally unwarranted when the products concerned are purely cosmetic.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

billy_gates

• http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
Lets look at this from their perspective.

"Lets make XBox's in Mexico, if we did that we could lose even more money, hey Bill, whaddaya think?"

Really guys.  If I owned a huge multinational company I would exploit cheap labor as well.  And so would all of you.

Moving on.....
I heard from a terrible source that income tax in sweden was terrible, and that some super rich people had as much as 90% tax rate.  Just wanted to know if this was the truth, seeing there seems to be someone who claims to live in sweden that is participating in this ridiculous conversation.

cahult

• VIP
Maybe that 90 % is a not-so-happy business man, there are very high tax rates here on those people

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
that sounds like a fucking great idea! the day i hear about income tax rates that high for the stupidly rich, i will go out and celebrate. it's not hard to figure out why the higher income tax brackets are nowhere near as high as they should be, but i might move to sweden if that really is the case. if it were me i would make it 100% over a certain amount.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
And now a gimp of the Microsoft logo

(Made under china)

billy_gates

quote:
Originally posted by cahult:
Maybe that 90 % is a not-so-happy business man, there are very high tax rates here on those people

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Whats the point of 14 million ethiopians being on the brink of starvation...
Contains scenes of mild peril.

billy_gates

quote:
Originally posted by Tux:
Whats the point of 14 million ethiopians being on the brink of starvation...

I don't know, what is the point of them starving

Its not like any of the taxes I pay as a super rich swede will ever make it to them.  It will either stay in the country or get spent by rich ethiopian leaders.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
very true. what we need is some way to guarantee that aid money actually gets used to build schools and provide water pumps et c for those who really need it. then and only then will i feel good about donating to foreign aid. i always feel uneasy that the money will get entirely filched by people along the chain of supply and will end up in corrupt people's pockets and not being used for the things it was intended for.

They should set up whatever channel of protected supply as a priority so people know they can safely contribute to foreign aid charities et c.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
If you care so much why not form your own charity.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
that would be about as much use as starting my own religion.

but seriously folks, how would that help? it would divide people and also i myself would just be another charity with no way of reassuring people that their money was going to the right places. i don't think it's appropriate to put somebody down for suggesting that the system be improved so that poor people can get a better standard of living.

cahult

• VIP
Here