Author Topic: Alternatives to M$ optical mouse  (Read 6273 times)

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Re: Alternatives to M$ optical mouse
« Reply #30 on: 17 March 2005, 12:51 »
I can use the trackpad fine, it just sucks is all, I prefer a mouse.

I still use it often when I am writing or something because that way I move my hands less and can keep writing, and thats with the mouse still plugged in. A mouse is just a lot better generally.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #31 on: 17 March 2005, 16:30 »
no! traxxpaddz r00lz0rs!!!!!11one

i do prefer a trackpad, even though i seem to be one of the few people who do. and trackballs are good too.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #32 on: 25 March 2005, 17:34 »
My trackpad pisses me off because I can bump it slightly while typing and cause my cursor to select another window.

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #33 on: 25 March 2005, 18:10 »
lol
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #34 on: 25 March 2005, 18:11 »
Quote from: kintaro
My trackpad pisses me off because I can bump it slightly while typing and cause my cursor to select another window.

Eh, Linux doesn't have an option to disable the trackpad while one is typing?  OS X does.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #35 on: 25 March 2005, 19:54 »
Quote from: bedouin
Eh, Linux doesn't have an option to disable the trackpad while one is typing?  OS X does.

It does?  Killer!  I can't wait for the money to exist. :macos:  (I'll probably get a refurb 15" PB)

As for trackpads, I don't like them much.  The Apple trackpad is among the best I've used, but still.  I like the pencil eraser a little better.  My favorite, though, as it exists on my 386 laptop, is a trackball.  I love the thing.  Too bad nobody does that anymore :(
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #36 on: 25 March 2005, 20:49 »
I have to agree about the trackball.  I had an old Toshiba 486 laptop with a detachable (Microsoft manufactured) trackball, that used a strange proprietary interface.  It was really incredibly easy to use.  However, with modern laptops like the iBook and PowerBook, such a clunky device hanging off the side is unacceptable.  You really just have to train yourself to use the trackpad for a significant period of time; once you do it becomes second nature, and superior to most interfaces.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #37 on: 27 March 2005, 10:06 »
Quote from: bedouin
I have to agree about the trackball.  I had an old Toshiba 486 laptop with a detachable (Microsoft manufactured) trackball, that used a strange proprietary interface.  It was really incredibly easy to use.  However, with modern laptops like the iBook and PowerBook, such a clunky device hanging off the side is unacceptable.  You really just have to train yourself to use the trackpad for a significant period of time; once you do it becomes second nature, and superior to most interfaces.

I use trackpads and the little rubber eraser thingy sparingly.  They are not really good for your hands with heavy use.  My company actively discourages the use of trackpads and rubber eraser joysticks as an ergonomic issue.

But I've got to agree about trackballs.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #38 on: 28 March 2005, 21:00 »
The thing is track pads work by detecting the moisture in your hands and they go mad when you've got sweaty fingers. I often get this problem when I'm looking at certain internet sites. :D
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #39 on: 2 July 2005, 12:11 »
You could get a linux mouse. They have 16 buttons, and two scroll wheels all which are configurable and/or removable and five different interchangeable lenses - plus they are skin-able. They are not compatible with many games though.

Also, there is the FreeBSD mouse. It has almost as many buttons and lenses as the linux mouse, but you have to put the buttons and lenses on yourself.

Or consider the OpenBSD mouse. It only comes with two buttons, but it comes with a lifetime warrantee against damage. It has the ability to hold two buttons and a standard lens, but they are not included. Fortunately it comes with a very detailed 78 page manual that explains how to build and install your own.

Lastly there is the NetBSD mouse. While it lacks all of the features of the FreeBSD and linux mice, it has more features than the OpenBSD mouse and is easier to put together. As an added bonus, the NetBSD mouse can operate your VCR, your toilet and your can opener, and of course, your toaster.
:)