Author Topic: I'm sorry to say this, but  (Read 4746 times)

CommonSense

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
    • http://www.microsuck.com
I'm sorry to say this, but
« Reply #15 on: 1 December 2001, 05:24 »
By the way, with Dreamcasts going for $50 now, is it worth grabbing one up?  I'm not that big on gaming, but it's fun now and then.  (FYI, all I own now is a Playstation -- the first one -- and a few games.  So like I said, I'm not exactly on the cutting edge.)

k3it4r0u

• http://wired.homeunix.org/
« Reply #16 on: 1 December 2001, 06:17 »
It'll cost you more to buy a game than buying the Dreamcast itself-a lot of games have gone out of production including the ever-so-popular Marvel vs. Capcom 2.
(c) 2000 The Microsoft C++ Class
It's grammar, not grammer.

k3it4r0u

• http://wired.homeunix.org/
« Reply #17 on: 1 December 2001, 07:28 »
FYI, Capcom is selling Dreamcast games at 20$ each now.
(c) 2000 The Microsoft C++ Class
It's grammar, not grammer.

badkarma

• VIP
« Reply #18 on: 3 December 2001, 18:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Webmaster:
By the way, with Dreamcasts going for $50 now, is it worth grabbing one up?  I'm not that big on gaming, but it's fun now and then.  (FYI, all I own now is a Playstation -- the first one -- and a few games.  So like I said, I'm not exactly on the cutting edge.)

If you like cool games (skies of arcadia, grandia 2, tony hawk 1/2, crazy taxi and the list goes on and on and on....) and don't want to spend (insert cost of xbox/ps2/gamecube here, I'm dutch so they're not out here yet  :(  ) on a console, go for it.

My dreamcast is one of the few things I didn't regret buying (and I even spend a hell of a lot more then 50$ on it seeing I imported mine from the US when sega still made em)
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

Zeldario

« Reply #19 on: 4 December 2001, 01:00 »
x-box sucks compared to other consoles.
Just go to some good game review site:
PS2 and Gamecube game get 8 or 9.
x-box games never score higher then 7.
I've even heard the x-box crashes sometimes.

gump420

« Reply #20 on: 4 December 2001, 14:48 »
I don't see how Macrohard is expecting to make any money off the XXX-Box, anyway. It really shouldn't be that hard to set up a hack that allows you to play those games on a Winblows PC . . .
I can't get over you until you get out from under him.

<Pudmaster Flex>

« Reply #21 on: 5 December 2001, 20:05 »
Yo guys, wasssuupp! I know x-box is basically a Win 2K shell in a box, so in theory, could you emulate the xbox on PC, and just download the games, or am I chattin shit??!!

Anyone????
  :cool:

billy_gates

• http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
« Reply #22 on: 6 December 2001, 21:54 »
i know it does not run any version of winblows
1) It boots way too fast
2) It has all sorts of copy protection for the software and it does not say once anything about Winblows.
3) It never crashes.

The only bad thing about it so far is the processor (Intel Sucks - They are so slow). Microsoft probably could have made a profit if they put an Athlon 1GHz. And it would be faster too

torched42

« Reply #23 on: 6 December 2001, 22:41 »
the problem i see with the xbox is the fact that its made by Microsoft. you think they will let it die? hell no.. they will subsidize it lower its cost and put out games that people want. my prediction is that Nintendo will be driven out of buisness, and that sony will drop from the console buisness. if you think i'm irational look at the peons who actually paid for windoze. some appear to be intelligent infact. microsoft will come out on top... and that will be a sad day indeed....  :(
beware the penguin!!

gump420

« Reply #24 on: 7 December 2001, 16:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by Billy Gates:
i know it does not run any version of winblows
1) It boots way too fast

The thing that slows Winblows down on bootup is usually their half-ass networking drivers. Take that out and you significantly reduce the bootup time.

quote:
2) It has all sorts of copy protection for the software and it does not say once anything about Winblows.

Obviously it wouldn't be running the full version of Winblows, so it's not going to behave like Winblows (i.e. using the Winblows kernel won't make a Winblows spalsh screen come up). In any case, the X-Box does use DirectX, which in turn usually runs on Winblows - thus the reason people come to the conclusion that the X-Box runs a watered down version of Winblows . . .

quote:
3) It never crashes.

Okay, you've got me there! (-;

Really, though, this goes back to using the kernel versus using the whole OS. If the only stuff in memory is the kernel, the DirectX drivers, and the game, then it shouldn't be too hard to keep things from conflicting and causing a crash.

quote:
The only bad thing about it so far is the processor (Intel Sucks - They are so slow). Microsoft probably could have made a profit if they put an Athlon 1GHz. And it would be faster too

In any case, the fact that they are using an Intel processor in the thing means that it is possible to simply make a run-time environment to play the games on the PC. The only thing stopping that right now is the copy-protection; however, given M$'s wonderful track record in security we can expect a crack to surface rather quicly.
I can't get over you until you get out from under him.

foobar

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
« Reply #25 on: 8 December 2001, 22:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zeldario:
x-box sucks compared to other consoles.
Just go to some good game review site:
PS2 and Gamecube game get 8 or 9.
x-box games never score higher then 7.
I've even heard the x-box crashes sometimes.

Yeah dude, microsoft sucks. It runs windoze 2000.
Linux user #283039

Gosh, I love Linux Quake.

<u-no>

« Reply #26 on: 9 December 2001, 07:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by k3it4r0u:
It'll cost you more to buy a game than buying the Dreamcast itself-a lot of games have gone out of production including the ever-so-popular Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

Actually, you can download the games off the internet and burn them on to a CD.

some friends of mine are doing it and it seems to be working good.

by the way, an awesome game for dreamcast is: SoulCalibur.

(a console version of the arcade game: SoulEdge)  :cool:

<u-no>

« Reply #27 on: 9 December 2001, 07:18 »
Originally posted by Billy Gates:
[QB]

3) It never crashes.

actually, i heard on the radio that it has been crashing  :cool:

Cacophanus

• http://cacophanus.net
« Reply #28 on: 13 December 2001, 21:35 »
The Xbox is big bone of contention with me at present. With a frankly ridiculous price over here (50,000 yen!!) and the fact that it is the size of a small house, not to mention that Bungie (the noble defectors) have bodged up "Halo" (then again being the naive fool I am, I was half expecting a next-generation "Marathon"). In short, colour me unhappy!

On a slightly more encouraging anti-Microsoft chord, their stall at this Autumn's "Tokyo Game Show" was practically empty (bar the odd fat foreigner). Even with the leather clad bimbettes patrolling the stall, most of the Japanese attendees avoided M$'s sorry arsed affair. Even the lame PR stunt that Gates tried to pull on the SEGA stall backfired rather amusingly - nobody took a blind bit of notice.

As for the Dreamcast, it is a sturdy little piece of kit and cheap too. If you are interested in picking up a few gems for it, here are some recommendations:

Virtual On Oratorio Tangram
Mobile Suit Gundam: Rise from the Ashes
Bangaio
Phantasy Star Online
Metropolis Street Racer
Guilty Gear X
Virtua Fighter 3tb
Dead or Alive 2
Power Stone
Power Stone 2
Grandia 2
Skies of Arcadia