Author Topic: What is Tablet PC?  (Read 2029 times)

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
What is Tablet PC?
« on: 7 November 2002, 05:25 »
A few days ago I heard something called "Tablet PC" or something like that on BBCs excellent program "Click Online". What is that and what
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
What is Tablet PC?
« Reply #1 on: 7 November 2002, 05:39 »
EAT YOUR DAMN SOUL!

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
What is Tablet PC?
« Reply #2 on: 7 November 2002, 07:13 »
1. Not trying to be some annoying elitest bastard, but learn to use google please. I tapped in "tablet pc" and the first result gave plenty of info.

2. A spiffy type of PC Bill seems to be really pushing for, which features a small carry-around design, and a pressure senstative touch screen, eliminating the need for a mouse or keybaord. (So pretty much a walk around PC)

Here's a link to the MS Tablet PC site.

HPC GUY

• Kudos: 101
What is Tablet PC?
« Reply #3 on: 7 November 2002, 07:27 »
a long while ago pc tablets were strictly private corporation or government owned. I remember a few years ago some dude came into our old store, (deep within the city) and had 2 of them in hand. he wanted us to check them out to see if they worked. i worked on one of them and they seemed really neat...for the first 10 minutes. all they are is a glorified PDA. not really worth the tag, anyway the guy picked them up 3 hours later and said he had more if we wanted to buy any..we didnt. the next day i saw on the news that 10 tablet pc's were stolen from a government institution. Whoops....never saw the guy again.
"if i destroyed you, i would only be perpetuating your legacy" - Me

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
What is Tablet PC?
« Reply #4 on: 7 November 2002, 21:05 »
you know, I really must hand it to Bill. he's got a pretty decent idea here... for once.
Go the fuck ~

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
What is Tablet PC?
« Reply #5 on: 7 November 2002, 21:50 »
Yet another idea lifted from Apple. Apple had a similar device in the works years ago but never whent thrugh with it.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
What is Tablet PC?
« Reply #6 on: 7 November 2002, 10:33 »
I think the idea was mine...

And "an idea from bill"
is like "respectable bank robber"
or "honest used car salesman"

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
What is Tablet PC?
« Reply #7 on: 7 November 2002, 16:07 »
got a point there, Ex.

most of Bill's ideas remind me of the day-old Steak and Shake pepperjack melt that's sitting on my table here. it was really great when someone else had it, but it was brought into a place of great horror, mutilated, chewed, and then left to rot and fester into a gray, unrecognizable thing that nobody wants.

Did I mention that I'm going to try to sell the stale half of a burger to someone, using Bill's marketing tactics to see if everyone really are as dumb as they seem.

wish me luck!
Go the fuck ~

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
What is Tablet PC?
« Reply #8 on: 7 November 2002, 16:37 »
it'll only work if you can convince them that everybody else has already bought one, or that if they don't buy it now, you can get even more for it that afternoon from somebody else.

As fot this object B I G D E A L ! it's a PDA. So what.

as for touchscreens, the first PC to have a touchscreen (made by HP i think) was a total marketing flop. why? because although it sounds like a fantastic idea, it isn't really the way most people like to interface with their computers. Neither of those facts have changed and i think it will take a lot of marketing before we get a generation that prefer touchscreens to more traditional modes of input. 15-20 years i'd say, which is about how long it took for the mouse to come into its own.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
What is Tablet PC?
« Reply #9 on: 7 November 2002, 16:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by fett101:
1. Not trying to be some annoying elitest bastard, but learn to use google please. I tapped in "tablet pc" and the first result gave plenty of info.

2. A spiffy type of PC Bill seems to be really pushing for, which features a small carry-around design, and a pressure senstative touch screen, eliminating the need for a mouse or keybaord. (So pretty much a walk around PC)

Here's a link to the MS Tablet PC site.

good stuff, however some people have 'microsoft.com' blocked, and why not indeed? here's a quote from the site for those people:  
quote:
Windows XP Tablet PC Edition   > Product Information
Top 10 Benefits of Tablet PC

Powerful, mobile, and versatile, Tablet PC is one of the most useful tools for being as productive as possible away from your desk. It's designed for mobile computer users who've been relying on a combination of notebook PCs, planners, spiral notebooks, handheld devices, and sticky notes to complete their work.

Number 1 Use Microsoft's Most Advanced Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition is a superset of Windows XP Professional so it provides the power of Windows XP with no sacrifices. Tablet PC Edition has the full capabilities of Windows XP Professional, plus additional features for tablet pen
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
    • http://www.akgames.net
What is Tablet PC?
« Reply #10 on: 8 November 2002, 02:02 »
Cost from 1800 and up, base models with a 10 inch screen and an old 866 MHz PIII processor.

Definately a glorified PDA.

I want one with Linux! There's something that won't be happening any time soon...

It's back!
WINTEL

[ November 07, 2002: Message edited by: The_Muffin_Man/B0b ]

pkd_lives

• Kudos: 0
What is Tablet PC?
« Reply #11 on: 8 November 2002, 03:11 »
And the only ones I have seen are made by TOSHIBA, hahahahhahaha.

Could they really have chosen a more suitable partner, Every Toshiba I have come in touch with has had problems, mine has crappy hardware, my roommates eats hardrives like nobodys business, the ones I used to use at work were constantly needing reinstalls and failing to do what they were programed to do, needing repair, and that was before networking the damn things. They were eventually replace by Sony and Dell. (not that I am a fan of Sony, and I'm bitter with both companies, but their hardware works much better - well except for the Sony Vaio's hardrives - I know three wiped out by airport metal detectors that...wait for it.. Can't wipe hardrives cough*bullshit*cough).

Now to be fair they were all running M$ Windows, so maybe the tablets will be okay....oh...erm..well then...
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
What is Tablet PC?
« Reply #12 on: 8 November 2002, 10:34 »
I have currently seen ones by Acer, Fujitsu, HP Compaq, Motion Computing, and ViewSonic.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
What is Tablet PC?
« Reply #13 on: 8 November 2002, 17:58 »
Tablet:

quote:

"Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)"
Tablet Ta"blet, n. F. tablette, dim. of table. See Table.
   1. A small table or flat surface.

2. A flat piece of any material on which to write, paint,
      draw, or engrave; also, such a piece containing an
      inscription or a picture.

3. Hence, a small picture; a miniature. Obs.

4. pl. A kind of pocket memorandum book.

5. A flattish cake or piece; as, tablets of arsenic were
      formerly worn as a preservative against the plague.

6. (Pharm.) A solid kind of electuary or confection, commonly
      made of dry ingredients with sugar, and usually formed
      into little flat squares; -- called also lozenge, and
      troche, especially when of a round or rounded form.

PC:

quote:

"WordNet (r) 1.7"
PC
     n : a small digital computer based on a microprocessor and
         designed to be used by one person at a time syn: personal
         computer, PC, microcomputer

I think we should go for 4

So basicly the tablet PC Is a "small digital computer" (as oppesed to an analog one) that has been embedded by Microsoft (idea by apple) into a book.

Hence the Tablet PC!

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

• Kudos: 125
What is Tablet PC?
« Reply #14 on: 9 November 2002, 02:03 »