Author Topic: AMD vs. Intel  (Read 1738 times)

Windows_SuX_@$$

• Kudos: 0
AMD vs. Intel
« on: 29 September 2003, 08:46 »
I don't know what I should get,

Whats the diffrence? Which one do you recomend me getting an

AMD 2800+
or
Intel Pentium4

Tell me what you think is better, thanks for the advice
  :cool:
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBBCode Images are permitted.

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
AMD vs. Intel
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2003, 21:05 »
Definatley a 2.4c ghz P4 and a good i865PE board(like the Asus P4P800 Deluxe or Abit IS7). You can overclock that 2.4c to 3.1-3.2ghz like it ain't nothing(using the stock intel cooling). It will cost about $300.

You can't beat this for $300

http://zombie9920.homestead.com/files/cpuarithmatic.jpg

http://zombie9920.homestead.com/files/cpumultimedia.jpg

http://zombie9920.homestead.com/files/memorybandwidth.jpg

http://zombie9920.homestead.com/files/memoryperformance.jpg

The $300 CPU+Mobo setup is capable of matching the $580 3.2ghz P4($580 for te CPU alone) and it flat out whoops the AthlonXP 3200+@$480(price of CPU alone). It straight up beats the hell out of the 2800+ which is the same price as the 2.4c.

You will get the most bang for your buck with the 2.4c and a i865PE chipset, there is no question about it.

If you don't already have PC3200 DDR Ram you will need to buy at least 1 stick of it(buying 2 identicle sticks and putting them in Dual Channel DDR mode is recommended though). If you only want to buy 256MB go with 2 identicle sticks of 128MB PC3200 sticks, if you want 512MB go with 2 identicle sticks of 256MB PC3200, etc. You will get the most performance that way.(1 stick in Single Channel mode will cut the memory bandwidth and performance in half).

[ September 29, 2003: Message edited by: Viper ]

Windows_SuX_@$$

• Kudos: 0
AMD vs. Intel
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2003, 23:30 »
Whats better?

Im buying a AMD 2800+ or a Intel Pentium 4

What would you recommend?
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBBCode Images are permitted.

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
AMD vs. Intel
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2003, 23:43 »
quote:
You can overclock that 2.4c to 3.1-3.2ghz like it ain't nothing

Like it aint nothing ?

Obviously this guy is as profecient with motherboards and BIOS's as you and you think hes just gonna go out and over clock his pentium 4 ?

As for the Athlon vs P4 thing well .... there isn't much of a performance difference but the Athlons are half the cost as a pentium 4.  So on a price/performance comparison the Athlon is definantly a better choice.

I personnely use a Athlon 2200 on one of my machines and its no different than the 2ghz Pentium 4 machines at school.

http://www.ibuypower.com/confirm/configurator-k7tb-ddr.htm
All your base are belong to us.

Zombie9920

AMD vs. Intel
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2003, 00:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by mushrooomprince:

Like it aint nothing ?

Obviously this guy is as profecient with motherboards and BIOS's as you and you think hes just gonna go out and over clock his pentium 4 ?

As for the Athlon vs P4 thing well .... there isn't much of a performance difference but the Athlons are half the cost as a pentium 4.  So on a price/performance comparison the Athlon is definantly a better choice.

I personnely use a Athlon 2200 on one of my machines and its no different than the 2ghz Pentium 4 machines at school.

http://www.ibuypower.com/confirm/configurator-k7tb-ddr.htm

Are you joking? The Athlon XP 2800+ and that P4 2.4c are the same price. You will get more performance out of that P4 than you will that AXP 2800+ easily. The AXP 2800+ = $168, the P4 2.4c = $170. If you aren't blind you will see he was looking at an AXP 2800+. It isn't hard to overclock. Even when the P4 isn't overcloked it is pretty damn fast because 1. It has motherboards that get the proper bandwidth out of Dual Channel DDR(it gets twice the bandwidth and performance of an NForce 2) and CPU itslef has a nice 800mhz FSB, SSE2 and Hypertreading. Anything that takes advantage of SSE2 will suddenly make that 2.4ghz processor faster than an AXP 3000+ without even overclocking it. Overclocking is a breeze, so don't act like it is hard for people to get more mhz out of their new shit. You simply put your FSB@265, leave the voltage@default, leave the PCI/AGP bus@ 66/33mhz and leave the Ram speeds@ spec and you will have a perfectly stable overclocked [email protected] If you raise that FSB to 270mhz you have a 3.2ghz P4c.

The Hyperthreading doesn't really speed the CPU up much unless an application supports HT, but the Hyperthreading allows you to do twice as many tasks with the same amount of CPU cycles. You can literally burn a DVD while encoding a video while playing a game in full screen with because of that hyperthreading. HT adds a 2nd virtual CPU that takes the load off of the regular CPU so your main CPU still has almost 0% of it's cycles being used when you are doing strenuous tasks. In the end you get 200% CPU cycles instead of 100% on non-HT CPU's(that is like 2 CPU's for the price of 1).  Now if an app truely supports hyperthreading  you will see a performance increase on top of the better CPU cycle handling.

Those 2ghz P4 machines at your school probably aren't even Northwoods. They are probably Wiliamettes. They certainly don't have an 800mhz FSB and Hyperthreading. Oh and BTW, with a P4 you don't need a ton of loud ass fans to keep it running reasonably cool. Pentium 4's don't run the risk of ever catching on fire and burning up(Yes, Athlons do have heat issues buddy).

Now, why don't you do some benches of your beloved AXP 2200+ and compare it against the numbers I'm getting out of this [email protected]+ ghz. You can overclock your shit as much as you want(you won't get very far with that Athlon though). I already have a few scores up already and that P4 beats the hell out of an Athlon 3200+ like it ain't nothing........I really want you to challenge me man.     ;)

[ September 29, 2003: Message edited by: Viper ]

mushrooomprince

AMD vs. Intel
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2003, 02:45 »
quote:
Now, why don't you do some benches of your beloved AXP 2200+ and compare it against the numbers I'm getting out of this [email protected]+ ghz.

Viper, I think what this guy wants is  reasonably priced processor that will be sufficient for his internet applications and most of his games.  I wasn't really thinking of a Athlon 2800 specifically it was more around a 2200 or a 2400.  Those are around half the price of 2.2 ghz and 2.4 ghz Pentiums.

However simple overclocking may be to you its never as simple as you would like others to believe in your arguement.  A million things can go wrong as soon as you open up that case. Thats why I don't recomend over clocking to people who just want a decently powered PC and are on a budget.

Pentium 4's are not for people on a budget.  I'm looking at pricewatch.com right now and so far the cheapest 2ghz chip i see is $145.  

He doesn't want perfection.  He just wants to get up to date.  And I certainly don't think we wants to learn how to overclock processors, thats a completely different story.  If you think hes perfectly capable of picking out all the right parts to overclock a P4 why is he asking AMD or Intel ?

and you know what ? YES YOUR OC 3.1GHZ P4 IS WAY FASTER THAN ANY 2400 ATHLON.  But you know what ?   For 90% of the things I do and what most people would like to do there isn't a significant difference between your chip and a 2200 Athlon.  The only difference is that one would have to go through a huge hassle to make their 2.1 ghz chip significantly faster than the 2200 athlon.

quote:

Zombie9920

AMD vs. Intel
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2003, 03:33 »
No, you didn't mention the 2800+...he did. Read his original post man.

You don't understand, things have changed alot these days. Pentium 4's aren't really all that expensive anymore. Sure, a 3.2ghz costs over $540 but a person would be nuts to buy one considering the next lower model(the 3.0c) is a little over $350. That is a bargain since that 3.0c is capable of running with that 3.2ghz and it beats out a Athlon XP 3200+ without even overclocking it. BTW, the Athlon XP 3200+ costs close to $500 itself. Over Time AMD has jacked up their prices for their high end models because they are actually on the map for consumers now.

And no, things don't go wrong when overclocking a Pentium 4 2.4c ghz on an i865/i875 motherboard. Do you know why? Because the 2.4c uses the exact same core(the D1) as every other Pentium 4 c including the top-end model the 3.2ghz. That means the core the 2.4c is using is capable of [email protected] with no damage, no stability issues, no heat issues, etc. Basically, s 2.4c is nothing more than a 3.2ghz that had it's multiplier reduced so Intel would have a chip to sell to the lower end market.

Now, the i865/i875 chipset is capable of overclocking the CPU only. It leaves the PCI/AGP buses running@spec speeds and it leaves the RAM running@spec speeds unless you specify for it to do otherwise. When you overclock a 2.4c to 3.2ghz it only runs 1-2 degrees Celcius higher than it [email protected] obviously heat isn't a worry either.

Now, if you attempt to take that D1 core past 3.2ghz you are asking for some stability issues because that core isn't designed to run past 3.2ghz.

To make a long story short, the P4 2.4c is an enthusiast chip because of what it can do. Anyways, AMD is not the price/performance leader anymore by a long shot. This is not last year man.

I feel like throwing this little quote in from a [H]ardOCP article regarding the Athlon 64.

quote:
The Bad
The bad will become seriously evident the moment you open your wallet to pay for a new Athlon 64. The Athlon FX 51 is priced at US$733 per thousand. The per thousand price is usually a good indicator of non-boxed CPUs for sale in the USA. Yes, we typed that right $...7...3...3. You're thinking, not a problem when you can just go for the Athlon 64 3200+, right? The per thousand price for the 3200+ will be a hefty US$417 per thousand. Ouch. If you think the AthlonFX and Athlon64 chips above don't seem to be price matched for their target demographic, we would have to fully agree. Let's just say it, they are too expensive. When you consider that the enthusiast can buy a Pentium 4 2.4c, 512MB of PC3200, a name brand 865PE feature-packed mainboard for way less than the price of a Athlon64 3200+ alone, and run his system at 3GHz all day long, you have to think that all of that Athlon64 performance is simply overpriced.  

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTI0LDY=

Read the part I put in Bold Italics. They are hinting at how sure of a thing that P4 2.4c overclocking on a i865PE board is. Anyways, No matter what you say prince.....the P4 2.4c is easily THE CHIP to have right now in a price/performance stance.

To sum it all up, a person would be a fool to buy an Athlon XP 2800+ and pair it up with a motherboard that offers shitty performance(the NForce 2 and Via KT600) when you can buy a setup for the same price that will run rings around the AXP 2800+ setup.

You would be a fool to go with a 2200+ setup that will give you low/mid end perofmance for $60 less than a setup that will give you high-end performance.

[ October 01, 2003: Message edited by: Viper ]

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
AMD vs. Intel
« Reply #7 on: 1 October 2003, 15:37 »
<Homestar Runner>It's true!</Homestar Runner>
Go the fuck ~

mushrooomprince

AMD vs. Intel
« Reply #8 on: 2 October 2003, 03:06 »
if he wants to get a 2.8 ghz processor or equivlant thats fine.  I guess once you start paying outragous prices for AMD chips you might as well get a Pentium chip.

It doesn't make a difference to me.  I still think for the money the athlon 2400 is the best.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
AMD vs. Intel
« Reply #9 on: 2 October 2003, 11:29 »
how much would you pay for an Athlon XP 3200, with board?

if it's not less than the P4c with board, then I think we know what the better deal is
Go the fuck ~