Author Topic: Why M$ keep lying about the Xbox?  (Read 1785 times)

GamerX

• Kudos: 0
Why M$ keep lying about the Xbox?
« on: 24 April 2003, 21:59 »
Today, I went to the Xsux website to just see how much bullshit M$ can write. This is what I found:

quote:
Xbox Video Game System
Xbox is Microsoft's future-generation Video Game System that delivers the most powerful games experiences ever. Xbox empowers game artists by giving them the technology to fulfill their creative visions as never before, creating games that blur the lines between fantasy and reality.

The Xbox console and controller are designed to capture the power and performance that Xbox will deliver and are based on the input of more than 5,000 gamers and games creators from around the world. Sleek and powerful in its look, in a rich shade of black, the Xbox console is emblazoned with a large "X" and a signature green Xbox "jewel" positioned in its center.

Features:

-Four game controller ports that allow easy multiplayer gaming and enable other peripherals, ranging from game pads to voice-activated headsets*
    -A front-loading DVD tray
    -A multisignal audio-video connector that allows for easy hookup to televisions and home theater systems
    -An Ethernet port for rich, fast-action online gaming via a broadband connection**
    -An NVIDIA graphics processing unit (GPU), delivering more than three times the graphics performance of other consoles***
    -An Intel 733MHz processor, the most powerful CPU of any console****
    -An internal hard drive, for massive***** storage of game information — a first in the console gaming industry

*Xbox has no USB ports, unlike the PS2.
**The Ethernet port happens to be the cheapest one available in the PC market.
***The PS2's Emotion Engine outperformed Xbox's graphics in official benchmark tests. The Xbox uses Nvidia GeForce3, a long outdated graphics card (something M$ doesn't want to tell you).
****The PS2's Emotion Engine Processor can clock over twice that ammount.
*****The Xbox's harddrive is 8GB, but most of that is taken up by temporary memory, start-up programs, etc. So in effect, the Xbox's harddrive can only store about 10MB of save data, which iss only 2MB more than the standard PS2 memory card.
---
Questions? Comments? Flaming because you're an asshole troll who blindly supports MacroHard (MicroSoft)?
Please fuck  Microsoft hard.
The harder you fuck them, the less they will screw you.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2003, 22:14 »
yeah well if they said "it's a crock of shit we cobbled together in a hurry to try and grab as big a piece of the market as possible and assimilate microsofties while they're young and impressionable with no thought whatsoever whether the damn thing actually works" then no bugger'd buy it would they?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2003, 23:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by GamerX:
*Xbox has no USB ports, unlike the PS2.

The controller ports are actually USB ports, but with  differently designed connectors.

But then again, since you are trying to shoot down inaccuracies from the X-Box site, your incorrect contradiction had no place to be there. I see no mention of USB in that article at all.

quote:
**The Ethernet port happens to be the cheapest one available in the PC market.

They make no claim to the quality of the ethernet port. So, as with the previous statement, you are inventing falsies to point out.

But then again, an onboard Ethernet adapter would be considered a plus by many since the other consoles sell theirs separately.

quote:
*****The PS2's Emotion Engine outperformed Xbox's graphics in official benchmark tests. The Xbox uses Nvidia GeForce3, a long outdated graphics card (something M$ doesn't want to tell you).

And the even older PS2 somehow has a newer, less outdated graphics adapter? Does Sony have a time machine I suppose. And Just who is the official who did these "official" benchmarks?

quote:
******The PS2's Emotion Engine Processor can clock over twice that ammount.

Well, the official specs put the X-Box at over twice the processing power. It is the most powerful console CPU from a technical standpoint, but that doesn't always mean much. Still, you have yet to point out a lie from the site.

quote:
*******The Xbox's harddrive is 8GB, but most of that is taken up by temporary memory, start-up programs, etc. So in effect, the Xbox's harddrive can only store about 10MB of save data, which iss only 2MB more than the standard PS2 memory card.

The music on my friends HD has to disagree with you there.

GamerX

« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2003, 23:59 »
I was just mentioning that it doesn't have seperate USB ports.

quote:
They make no claim to the quality of the ethernet port.

Yes they do:

quote:
-An Ethernet port for rich, fast-action online gaming via a broadband connection**  

quote:
And the even older PS2 somehow has a newer, less outdated graphics adapter? Does Sony have a time machine I suppose. And Just who is the official who did these "official" benchmarks?

The Emotion Engine was designed to be flexible. I said it can clock double that ammount. Famistsu did the benchmark tests on NBA 2K3, NHL 2K3, Madden 2003, Splinter Cell, and MK:DA. PS2 did better than Xbox on the following games: NBA 2K3, Madden 2003, and MK:DA.

quote:
The music on my friends HD has to disagree with you there.

My friend, who works at EGM, informed me that only 10MB of the harddrive is used for save data FOR GAMES.
BTW, this the Fuck MicroSoft Forums, not the Fuck Windows, But Xbox is Okay Forums. You of all people should know that.

[ April 27, 2003: Message edited by: GamerX ]

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2003, 01:09 »
Well, the XBOX may have the most powerfull single CPU as far as MHz is concerned, but it is not designed like a consol. The Game Cube for example runs on a custom designed IBM G3, but allso relies on many proprietary co-processors.

I don't know if it is truely fair to judge a console on CPU power alone. The XBox is more of a PC than a console.

In the end I don't care if it is the most advanced thing since the space shuttle, most of the games for it blow cock. I'd rather play the windwaker any day.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2003, 03:22 »
the game cube r0x0rz the xbox any day. and windwaker is the most amazing game i have ever played. look at the draw distance, or rather the lack of one. the subtle distance blurs, the reflections, refractions, the mother fuckin particle effects blow my mind, as does the physics engine. it is hands down, the most advanced cell shaded game ever. maybe one of the most advanced games ever. (though, metroid would be hard to beat    )
i have played with the xbox, and cant get over the crapppy controller design & the size of the system. my game cube weighs like 2 pounds and is 1/4 the size, and the controller melts into my hand. i forget im holding it sometimes.

Fett101

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2003, 04:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by GamerX:

Yes they do:-An Ethernet port for rich, fast-action online gaming via a broadband connection**

So.... it's got the same bandwidth of a 56k modem somehow?

quote:
The Emotion Engine was designed to be flexible. I said it can clock double that ammount. Famistsu did the benchmark tests on NBA 2K3, NHL 2K3, Madden 2003, Splinter Cell, and MK  A. PS2 did better than Xbox on the following games: NBA 2K3, Madden 2003, and MK  A.

Despite the fact that I can't find anything on Famistsu at google, it's best not to start a cross platform benchmark war. It always ends up a powerpc/x86 slug fest no matter what it started on.

quote:
My friend, who works at EGM, informed me that only 10MB of the harddrive is used for save data FOR GAMES.

Wow. Who can argue with a guy from EGM. I havn't had a chance to check out the space taken up by my friends saved games, But they'd have to be pretty compact to fit in 10MB.

quote:
BTW, this the Fuck MicroSoft Forums, not the Fuck Windows, But Xbox is Okay Forums. You of all people should know that.

Since I'm not here to fuck Microsoft, It matters little to me.

quote:
though, metroid would be hard to.

Amen to that.

a420blunt

« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2003, 05:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax: plain 'ol psyjax:
Well, the XBOX may have the most powerfull single CPU as far as MHz is concerned, but it is not designed like a consol. The Game Cube for example runs on a custom designed IBM G3, but allso relies on many proprietary co-processors.

I don't know if it is truely fair to judge a console on CPU power alone. The XBox is more of a PC than a console.

In the end I don't care if it is the most advanced thing since the space shuttle, most of the games for it blow cock. I'd rather play the windwaker any day.

Actually the Xbox CPU is a joke.  They claim PIII but in fact it's more like an overclocked Celeron.  Open up the Xbox and check it out.  Nowhere it says PIII.  This is also the reason why Xbox is not using Intel for Xbox2.

PS2 is a RISC processor while Xbox is a CISC processor.  I really do not remember the statistic specifics, but the PS2 processor basically beats the shit out of Xbox and GC processors.  Unfortunately, its full power will never be used.  Its Floating Point performance is equivalent to top government science computers.  PS2 hardware is nothing to mess with.  The Xbox Mhz means squat vs a superior processor.

Xbox RAM is the lowest grade even if it is 64MB.  But it is unified to allow easier programming.  Both PS2 and GC have a mix of SD, D and Rd RAM.  PS2 I think has the max potential IF the programmers are willing to slave for hours to trick the console into using sound RAM for video and so on.

The only thing Xbox has is the video card and that pretty much worthless harddrive.  Thats it.  Who fucking cares.  All three consoles have games that excel each others in graphics.  Xbox may have the slightly upper hand in that category, but lets be honest, a huge majority of Xbox games just plain suck.  And I am not being biased at all because my friend has Xbox and I always rent games for it, well at least up to a few months ago.

raptor

• Kudos: 56
    • http://calyptos.com
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2003, 06:03 »
PS2 seems just fine for me!

Plus Sony should have the PS3 in the works anyway.
"in a world without fences, who needs gates?"

GamerX

« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2003, 23:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by ecsyle:
the game cube r0x0rz the xbox any day. and windwaker is the most amazing game i have ever played. look at the draw distance, or rather the lack of one. the subtle distance blurs, the reflections, refractions, the mother fuckin particle effects blow my mind, as does the physics engine. it is hands down, the most advanced cell shaded game ever. maybe one of the most advanced games ever. (though, metroid would be hard to beat     )
i have played with the xbox, and cant get over the crapppy controller design & the size of the system. my game cube weighs like 2 pounds and is 1/4 the size, and the controller melts into my hand. i forget im holding it sometimes.

You forgot to mention fun gameplay   . I own GameCube, PS2, Dreamcast, PSX, SNES, Saturn, and Xbox (It fell off a truck, if you get what I mean) and I'm happy with all of them except for Xbox. Halo can't compete with Half-Life (and all of its mods) and Marathon. FPS's are just better on PC.

DJ

• http://mypage.iu.edu/~dpjackso
« Reply #10 on: 28 April 2003, 04:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by fett101:
But then again, an onboard Ethernet adapter would be considered a plus by many since the other consoles sell theirs separately.

Just a question so don't flame but, I was told that you have to call MS and pay to make the Ethernet adapter usable/active, is this true?

Dj
=)

Fett101

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: 28 April 2003, 07:31 »
You can use a router, and a program from Gamespy to play online same games, or you can buy the X-Box live kit with a 1 year subscripton. From what I can find, MS provides the servers and other features for the games, so you dan't have to end up paying all the seperate game companies to play on thier servers.

theangelofdeath69

• http://www.kaltemartech.com/
« Reply #12 on: 28 April 2003, 15:47 »
Yes, and then you install a modchip for some reason or another, like to install linux, and MS block you from Xbox live
Specifications are for the weak and timid!
You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!
Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!
What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak.
A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment on his code!
Klingon software does NOT have BUGS. It has FEATURES, and those features are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.
You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!