Author Topic: Intel fucks up again...  (Read 1196 times)

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
    • http://www.akgames.net
Intel fucks up again...
« on: 27 April 2003, 07:36 »
Intel discovered an "anomaly" in their 3 GHz chips, but continued to ship them anyway because they claim to have seen it only in lab testing...1.13 GHz all over again...

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,110370,00.asp

quote:
The issue with the 3-GHz Pentium 4 with support for an 800-MHz system bus occurs only in rare circumstances and users are unlikely to be affected, according to Alfs.

"The anomaly was an issue only seen in a lab environment on a small number of units undergoing stress testing. An end user probably would not see this anomaly in normal everyday use," Alfs said. He would not detail what tests caused the problem.

Intel would not specify how many of the new processors it shipped before putting the product on a "ship hold." The chip maker typically starts shipping a new processor some time before the official launch so PC makers can have products ready.

[ April 26, 2003: Message edited by: The Muffin Man ]

theangelofdeath69

• http://www.kaltemartech.com/
Intel fucks up again...
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2003, 15:49 »
Oh, boy!  I gotta get me one of them!

Intel, Microsoft..

There's a difference?

You know, though that this topic REALLY shouldn't be in the MICROSOFT hardware forum, though, right?
Specifications are for the weak and timid!
You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!
Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!
What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak.
A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment on his code!
Klingon software does NOT have BUGS. It has FEATURES, and those features are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.
You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!

jpmarat

Intel fucks up again...
« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2003, 03:51 »
Yeah, Intel=M$.  Sadly, I must admit I am using a P4.  There WILL be an AMD in the next comp.  Please have mercy on me...I hadn't come to see the light.  My 2.0Ghz chip is zooming fast, but an AMD is faster because it only has an 11 step pipeline compared with a Pentium's 22 stepper.
Running XP isn't so bad...
But I will be getting Redhat this summer when I have time and can afford to have my comp down for a long period of time.

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
Intel fucks up again...
« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2003, 06:19 »
anyone know what the unspicified anomily was?

I heard that Intel and AMD use different Clocking techniques and that is why AMD's that come out around the same time as their Intel counter parts have a lower posted speed.