Author Topic: How to convince friend not to get Pocket PC?  (Read 1419 times)

scottmso

• Kudos: 0
How to convince friend not to get Pocket PC?
« on: 16 October 2002, 03:48 »
My friend wants to switch from a Palm to Pocket PC. Here's what he said:
"I never knew that Palm had a color handheld!"
"Well, my Palm m100 broke in 6 months." (He bought it used off of eBay!)
"I have a friend that says that Pocket PC battery life lasts as long as my m100."
"Some people actually like things about Microsoft."
How can I convince him to stay away from Pocket PC?

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
    • http://www.akgames.net
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2002, 04:13 »
Interesting. Have him check out the new Sony Clies and the Handspring Treo 90's...you weren't too specific as to what he wanted.

Have him check this out too:
http://www.foxpop.ndirect.co.uk/PocketPC/xp_01.htm
(Check out the rest of the site too. My real name is Dustin in case you see anything written by me)

You can have him e-mail me directly with what he wants in a PDA and I will tell him the perfect handheld for him. I do it all day long! My E-mail: [email protected]

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2002, 07:33 »
or tell him to get a Sharp Zaurus

SpeeDFreaK

• Kudos: 109
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2002, 08:09 »
I'm not really big on PDAs. I have a Palm 3x that is still going in good condition. But I'd have to recommend the Zarus or the Samsung yopy. Or he could find a newton.
"George Bush says 'we are losing the war on drugs'. Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and people on drugs are winning it! Well what does that tell you about drugs? Some smart, creative motherfuckers on that side."  --Bill Hicks

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2002, 21:31 »
I dunno. I just got a Pocket PC, and it works damned well. Battery life doesn't seem spectacualr, but I've never actually noticed. It would really depend on what your friend needs. If ya need something to just keep your schedule on, go for a PDA. But I use my PPC for other purposes. Music, occasional videos that I want to show to someone, games.

HighLamb

« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2002, 21:32 »
My friend brougnt a used Pocket PC. The softwear (Outlook full version) came with it has the same activation system as the WondozeXP. Which means the softwear can only install, activation and use only in one single computer. He borought it used so the softwear is useless since the previous owner has activated it.

The same story about as the about links

[ October 16, 2002: Message edited by: HighLamb ]

mac == easy
*nix == power
windoze == nothing

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

• Kudos: 125
« Reply #6 on: 16 October 2002, 12:18 »
Well since colour is a selling point, guide him to the new Soly Clie, with inbuilt mp3 player and camera, its still a plam device...just more trendy and cheaper.

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #7 on: 16 October 2002, 22:34 »
What's the specs on one of those. Most memory I can find is 16mb. Has a memory stick slot at least, but one of those would mean extra money to spend.

BTW. If he does get a pocket PC, you could always bug him to put Linux on it.  

[ October 16, 2002: Message edited by: fett101 ]

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

• Kudos: 125
« Reply #8 on: 16 October 2002, 22:55 »
There are a few Sony Clie's, the standard looking one (Sony Clie PEG-T625) has 4MB Flash memory and 16Mb's of RAM, i can only assume the Sony Clie NR70V has a little more only because it will play mp3's and needs memory for the inbuilt camera as well.  It only just touches

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
« Reply #9 on: 20 October 2002, 14:51 »
believe me when i say that palms are complete shit. i've had an m105 for about a year and it cannot do a freakin thing. anytime i load a complex program like tealpaint the friggin thing has a fatal exception. And anyway, i hear that palm is going our of business because of the new mobile phones. if you're going to get a handheld, go for the visor handspring things (my friend has one; its screen is nice and big and it hasnt crashed once).

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #10 on: 22 October 2002, 21:45 »
I've never had any trouble with Palm pilots... but then, I've only used the older 3com era ones. I haven't tried 'em since they set out on their own.

Sony is a cloner of PCs and of Palm pilots, but they make better clones than the originator makes their own stuff.

Newtons r0x0r
Go the fuck ~

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #11 on: 24 October 2002, 21:51 »
here is my reason to not get one. I plugged my old compaq ipaq3600+ in (i havent used it in a long time) and the mutha-fu@ka wouldnt connect . nothing. hours i spent toying with the thing. then, i turned of zone alarm, bam!, it worked. looks like it needed to phone home before i could even get a connection. I am very upset by this. i see no reason for it to even access the internet (except of course to call microsoft). annoying.