Author Topic: Get cash for getting Linux to run on an Xbox...  (Read 1631 times)

AlexMax

• Kudos: 0
Get cash for getting Linux to run on an Xbox...
« on: 22 July 2002, 05:12 »
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=70&ncid=70&e=10&u=/cn/20020703/tc_cn/941298

Are you up to the challenge?

(I don't know if this has been posted before, and my most humble apologies if it has...)

And for all the link haters...

quote:
The goal of the Xbox Linux Project is to find a "simple and completely legal" way of running Linux on the Xbox gaming machine, according to the project's Web site. The prize money was donated by an anonymous source, known only to the project's leaders.

Xbox Linux Project has divided the job into two subprojects, each garnering a total of $100,000. Project A involves getting Linux to run on a hardware-modified Xbox. The largest award in this subproject, for $55,000, will go to developers who get an IBM PC-like BIOS (basic input-output system) to run on the machine, allowing it to boot Linux from a hard disk.

Project B will be to eliminate the need for hardware modification by developing a CD-ROM that will allow any Xbox to boot Linux.

An awards committee will decide how the funds are distributed; all contributors to a successful project should receive some compensation, according to the Web site. The contest ends Dec. 31, 2002.

The Xbox project isn't the first attempt at getting the Linux operating system into a gaming console. Sony has released a Linux kit for PlayStation 2 ( news - web sites), which includes a keyboard and other peripherals as well as the requisite software.

Xbox is a tempting target for Linux enthusiasts, however, because its components are almost completely PC-compatible. This means that, in theory, Linux software designed for Intel-based PCs should be able to run on a machine with only minor modifications. However, Xbox presents a few challenges, such as an altered BIOS that will only allow approved Microsoft code to run.

Project manager Michael Steil emphasized that the challenge is designed to be completely legal, and programmers with inside knowledge of the Xbox code are requested not to participate.

"We do not use any non-licensed software for development, such as the Xbox SDK (software development kit)," Steil wrote on the Xbox Linux Project site. "Reverse engineering of the Xbox system software is only done in compliance with corresponding local laws."

Steil said that he and other project leaders know the identity of the prize donor but have been asked not to reveal the person's name.

Microsoft has voiced concerns about pirated software running on Xbox. Several modification chips for Xbox, designed specifically to allow the console to run pirated games, have appeared on the market. Some technology, such as Enigmah-X's mod chips, have been discontinued.

Besides operating as a desktop PC, the Xbox Linux Project developers hope to use the open-source Linux kernel as a basis for Xbox media player software.

[ July 21, 2002: Message edited by: AlexMax ]

Using a Microsoft product and hating every moment of it is the first step to liberation.

Windows XP User?
Windows XP LOSER! Go fuck yourself!

cloudstrife

« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2002, 06:04 »
kickass!!    

Aaron Ni

• VIP
  • Kudos: 33
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2002, 08:23 »
This will definately increase the work on the Linux conversion of the X box.  At first the only reward was two things, recognition of getting Linux to run on Microsoft's Brain Child (That's a very loose description because it's Microsoft we're talking about.) and for the fact that being known as someone who either helped or took part in the project will become popular.

Now they have a cash prize awaiting them at the end of the tunnel!

Hurry up boys, that light down there just turned green.
You know me.... really...

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2002, 15:00 »
There is a page aobut the Xbox linux project on sourceforge
Contains scenes of mild peril.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2002, 20:14 »
Just like the previous thread about this subject I am against this project.  It can only help MicroShit sell more X-Crocks. What's the point? Makes no sense, other than breaking M$ security which is usually childs play.  I wouldn't doubt that M$ is paying for this.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

DC

« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2002, 00:30 »
MS *looses* money on every X-Box they sell. They plan to get it back by selling games. If you buy an X-Box to use as a server (or anything but playing games), you have (1) a relatively cheap server and (2) caused some damage to MS.
GS/CS d- s-: a--- C++ UL+ P+ L++>+++ E W++ N>+ o K- w-- O- M V? PS+>++ PE- Y+ PGP t+ 5+ X R tv+ b+++ DI+ D+ G++ e>++++ h! r- y
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
We take a measurement, the wavefunction will collapse, and one of the bottles of beer will fall

choasmaster

« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2002, 00:33 »
yeah, they do lose money on it. but if the sales go up, they might make xbox2, which would probably use the full pallidium architecture
id rather be on fire then use windoze

x86, a hack on a hack of a hack
alpha, the compaqed way
ppc, the fruity way
mips, the graphical way
m68k, the NeXT way
sparc, the reliable way

DC

« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2002, 00:36 »
They won't be looking at the sales of the X-Box. They are LOOSING money on it after all. They'll be looking on the stuff that makes them money - the games in this case.

Not that us few anti-MS-geeks will have any serious influence in total X-Box sales anyway.
GS/CS d- s-: a--- C++ UL+ P+ L++>+++ E W++ N>+ o K- w-- O- M V? PS+>++ PE- Y+ PGP t+ 5+ X R tv+ b+++ DI+ D+ G++ e>++++ h! r- y
We take a measurement, the wavefunction will collapse, and one of the bottles of beer will fall

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #8 on: 23 July 2002, 00:38 »
So I suppose you are going to tell me you are going to buy an X-Crox to be your web server and not buy any X-Crox games?  I can think of 10,000 better machines to use as a server than a stupid X-Crox.  Don't buy one, period.  Then it won't add to their numbers of game machines sold.

[ July 22, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

DC

« Reply #9 on: 23 July 2002, 00:50 »
No, when I need a server I'll pick up a free P100 or something (I won't need a big one).

But if this works, the X-Box *will* be a decent system for a reasonably powered home server. It's quite cheap for what you get actually.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #10 on: 23 July 2002, 02:14 »
why do people all want an xbox?

look, as you state, just get a proper machine!

the less people buy an xbox, the less the logos and other advertising crap will be seen, the quicker the fad will fade away. This porting linux to xbox crap is just more publicity for Microsoft! they're not stupid you know!

oh yes and:  
quote:
Microsoft has voiced concerns about pirated software running on Xbox. Several modification chips for Xbox, designed specifically to allow the console to run pirated games, have appeared on the market. Some technology, such as Enigmah-X's mod chips, have been discontinued.
This sticks out like a sore fucking thumb. How dare they? what, tell me, has pirated software got to do with a linux port? hmm? how is a linux port going to mean illegal pirate copies of xbox (windows) games? eh? this is a pathetic attempt to tar the good name that will probably work. Pathetic.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

DC

« Reply #11 on: 23 July 2002, 02:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
the less people buy an xbox, the less the logos and other advertising crap will be seen, the quicker the fad will fade away.

Well, this may be true

quote:

This porting linux to xbox crap is just more publicity for Microsoft! they're not stupid you know!
[/QB]

Err... now this is paranoid.
On the consumer-side, 2 groups can be distinguished:
1) the mass
2) the elite few.
Only group 2 will care and hear about the Xbox-Linux project. MS does not care about group 2, since they can't make enough money from them (these ppl usually use Linux or another non-win-OS anyway). Giving a $200.000 reward for this project is therefore not something MS will do. And if they care, they'll probablt don't like it.

Besides, do you *really* think that sourceforge would lend itself to MS for a publicity stunt?

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #12 on: 23 July 2002, 02:50 »
not knowingly...

like it or not, linux is the poster child for the software revolution, and a lot more people have heard about it than just group 2.

I'm paranoid... but am i paranoid enough?   ;)

[ July 22, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

DC

« Reply #13 on: 23 July 2002, 02:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
like it or not, linux is the poster child for the software revolution, and a lot more people have heard about it than just group 2.

That doesn't mean thet heared of, or care about, Linux on the X-Box.

Besides, there are legions of ppl who haven't even heared of Linux.

quote:

I'm paranoid... but am i paranoid enough?   ;)  

That depends. Are you a sysadmin? If so, no. Netop? Same story. Otherwise, yes (or at least concerning computing).

"Paranoia is part of the job description for admins" (or something like that)
     - (Dunno where I read that)