Author Topic: scuse my ignorance, but...  (Read 1323 times)

davebrock

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.lowendmac.com
scuse my ignorance, but...
« on: 6 May 2002, 04:56 »
this has probably been raised by someone, but I saw, (damn i lost the link!) that Microsoft tried to completely buy out Nintendo in 99, after being turned down when they tried to buy Sega in 98, can you imagine the brand....MS/Nintendo :-(
MS must die, sooner rather that later!

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2002, 05:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by hmd:
this has probably been raised by someone, but I saw, (damn i lost the link!) that Microsoft tried to completely buy out Nintendo in 99, after being turned down when they tried to buy Sega in 98, can you imagine the brand....MS/Nintendo :-(
MS must die, sooner rather that later!

Here is a link for those who are interested:

http://www.cube-europe.com/news/10198973416591.html
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

pkd_lives

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2002, 21:52 »
I saw the book they mention in Barnes and Noble, it's by a guy called Takahashi, and seems to be pro M& story behind the X-box. What's more it seems to be suggesting that M$ have, in some way redefined the gaming industry with this contraption - My question  is how? What is redefining about selling a shrunk basic computer with an outdated and reduced operating system, to play games, that apparently look much the same as any computer ( to be honest I have seen the X-box in action, and I can't see why anyone would think it is special, especially when Nintendo and Playstation have such wonderful products on the market already.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2002, 13:02 »
MS only had a couple of good ideas when they decided to make the xbox. One was the inclusion of a built in hard drive. As I sit here and look at my PS2 with 2 full memory cards, I wish I didnt have to go through and delete old games to make space for new ones. Not to mention that if I remove the cards I am likely to lose them. The other good idea they had was to integrate network support, but this idea isnt at all original since the dreamcast included a modem. Other than these things, I havent seen any truly innovative games and it seems that MS will lose the battle against Sony and Nintendo.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2002, 07:04 »
If Microsoft had bought Nintendo they would have made it even better than it was.  As it is, the gamecube is quite a retarded device.  Go XBOX!

Heru

« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2002, 07:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by Windows XP User #5225982375:
If Microsoft had bought Nintendo they would have made it even better than it was.  As it is, the gamecube is quite a retarded device.  Go XBOX!

AHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!  That is the funniest thing I have ever heard!

I gave the X-box a fair try, despite my feeling s towards it's makers.  I thought that with those specs it had to be good.
I have come to the following conclusions:
It loves to crash, it does this because it is based on Windows 2000 running on mostly off-the-shelf parts.  I tested it under different conditions, and always had the same result, it crashes often.

I then tested the GameCube under the same conditions and it only crashed once on me so far; that crash was during one particular level in Star Wars Rogue Leader, but that was caused by a massive bug in the game(Lucas Arts has admitted to this).  I have never had any other game crash the Gamecube.

So in conclusion, the X-box crashed on me regardless of the game played(lovely green screen it produces).  The GameCube crashed once during a level in Star Wars and never again.

I wound up buying a GameCube, and couldn't be happier with it.  There are less games for it, but they tend to be higher quality.  I love my GameCube and could play it all night.

SpeeDFreaK

• Kudos: 109
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2002, 10:06 »
quote:
 If Microsoft had bought Nintendo they would have made it even better than it was.

Strike one!

quote:
As it is, the gamecube is quite a retarded device.

Strike two!

quote:
 Go XBOX!

Strike three! You're out of your freaking mind!
"George Bush says 'we are losing the war on drugs'. Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and people on drugs are winning it! Well what does that tell you about drugs? Some smart, creative motherfuckers on that side."  --Bill Hicks

Interscope

« Reply #7 on: 2 June 2002, 19:46 »
Why use consoles? PC's/Macs will have better preformance in the future. Have you seen screenshots of Unreal Tournament 2(or 2003, I can't remember what the official name is), when you compare it to Halo it's like comparing the graphics of Doom to the graphics of Mafia(A beauty)
Free it, goddamnit!

Computer security is very much like home security - you can take as many security precautions as you like but if you leave windows open, sooner or later you'll get broken into. - (Calum 2003)

cloudstrife

« Reply #8 on: 2 June 2002, 20:57 »
Well, many people (me included) like Japanese games i.e. final fantasy, zelda, mario.  that is why we buy consoles.

note that XBOX is an american console: no REAL japanese developer will make games for it.

PS2 and gamecube are both japanese

Interscope

« Reply #9 on: 2 June 2002, 22:30 »
FF has PC versions, right?

And you can get an emulator.
Free it, goddamnit!

Computer security is very much like home security - you can take as many security precautions as you like but if you leave windows open, sooner or later you'll get broken into. - (Calum 2003)

cloudstrife

« Reply #10 on: 2 June 2002, 22:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by Interscope:
FF has PC versions, right?

And you can get an emulator.

Yes, very true, you can use an emulator, but it never runs perfectly.  Also, there are no emulators for PS2 or Gamecube yet.

there are pc version of ff7 and ff8, but they are buggy and don't play well on newer machines.

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
« Reply #11 on: 2 June 2002, 23:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by Interscope:
Why use consoles? PC's/Macs will have better preformance in the future. Have you seen screenshots of Unreal Tournament 2(or 2003, I can't remember what the official name is), when you compare it to Halo it's like comparing the graphics of Doom to the graphics of Mafia(A beauty)

For one, consoles are way cheaper than buying even an inexpensive pc. Also the kind of games they make for consoles is often very different than those made for the pc. Yeah you can have great simulations and real time strategies on the pc, but great fighting games and sports games rule the console. With the game developers making games to work specifically on that certain set of hardware, there wont be any games that come out for ps2, that other ps2's cant play. Im still amazed at what my 295mhz ps2 is capable of, and it has some of the best games ever.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net