Author Topic: XBox's Name  (Read 3118 times)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
XBox's Name
« Reply #15 on: 18 February 2002, 14:23 »
I do agree, while emulators are fab, the real thing is often more fun though.
It's unlikely that you'd get busted for having illegal copies of sonic the hedgehog or whatever, but i am eternally pedantic and i felt it my duty to mention that you are supposed to have the original cartridges as well. I am very happy to hear that the atari and possibly some sega games are now abandonware, that would be terrific!
Obviously the consoles of today are far superior to the 8bit and 16bit systems of yesteryear. Still, you know it would be nice if someone would bring out some cheap ports of old games for the new consoles once in a while...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
XBox's Name
« Reply #16 on: 18 February 2002, 21:00 »
I haven't seen the new Metroid game yet, but I have sen what the new Zelda game is going to be like. I'll say that I am disappointed with Nintendo for making it look the way it is going to look(like a kiddie cartoon)but if it has good puzzles, good gameplay, etc. then I'll probably buy a Gamecube so I can buy the game, and a few other classic series games for the GC.(I am a Zelda and Metroid fan)

I agree. I was a bit shoked when I saw what it looked like. It took me a bit to get used to the idea. But then it struck me, WOW! Those graphics are amazingly smooth and awsome. I have never seen a 3D cartoon before that actually looked like a toon!

Then again it struck me... hmmm.... this game CAN'T be bad, after all the best game designer in the world had a major role in this incarnation of everyones fav. Video game series: Shigeru Miyamoto.

You know that if he is at the helm, the new Zelda is deffinetly gonna knock everyones socks off!

Beside's gameplay, Not graphics, are whats important. Heck why do you think I still play 2600 games on my comp.    

oh. Here is a linko stuff on the new metroid! MAke sure to check out the movies:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/135/135316p1.html

here is another link to zelda (no pun intended). I think this gives you a better Idea of what it will be like, the movie file is what sold me on it, check it out (link at bottom), its worth the d-load:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/099/099284p1.html

[ February 18, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Oni Link

• Kudos: 0
XBox's Name
« Reply #17 on: 19 February 2002, 17:34 »
Badkarma, Psyjax and Split are my new heroes.
Anyone who can see why Nintendo shits all over M$ and their poor excuse for a console the XBox is a champ. (By the way the Xbox has a controller that resembles a dinner plate with two fat sausages as handles)
That f@#%ing loser who said "GameCube baby games"
is a try hard. He has obviously been sucked in by games that show off graphics but lack in the more important areas such as 'GAMEPLAY', what a dumbass.

Down with M$ and thier oversized briefcase that has a green X on it!!!

badkarma

• VIP
XBox's Name
« Reply #18 on: 19 February 2002, 19:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by Billy Gates:
1) Halo is that great

And is also coming out for the pc (and in my case my athlon 1400 with 1Gb mem and geforce 3 is a bit more capable then an xbox)

quote:

2) I payed 300 for it, not going to destroy it anytime soon, and it works fine, Unlike windows

300 dollars? that's a lot of money for a piece of crap  :D

quote:

3) Gamecube has crappy baby games

I think you're mistaken with the average N64 pokemon marketing campaign, and wether you find it a kiddy game or not (which it is not ) pikmin kicks ass!!!

And like someone already said, go show conquer's (or how the heck you spell it) bad furday to some kids parent and try to convince them that the n64 is a kiddy machine

quote:

4) Atari, bah!

Atari bah? You seem to forget which company practically started (and at least made it mainstream) the videogame console industry, plus some of their games are known as the biggest innovations in CG industry

quote:

5) Was Never good at pong

Don't blame something else for your own defficencies

quote:

6) That is really dumm to keep all those stupid cartidges

What is really dumb is to spell dumb wrong

quote:

7) My PowerMac G4 is sposed to arrive on Tuesday the 19th

so?

quote:

8) That was in reference to number 6, so I wont say anything about it

indeed, spelling dumb wrong one time is bad enough  :D

quote:

P.S. I have an XBox so I can have PC games without a PC now that I am switching to Macs that don't have very many game that I want.

then wouldn't buying a dreamcast+psone+snes+(insert other console here) saved you money and gave you a bigger choice in games?

my 2 euro cents
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

badkarma

• VIP
XBox's Name
« Reply #19 on: 19 February 2002, 21:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:

This is how Zelda on the GC was originally gonna be.

beep ... wrong ... that was a technical demo to show the capabilities of the gamecube, everybody just wished that the new zelda  would look like that

quote:

This is what it is going to be now(I don't like the change).

Just want to say that cell shading rules  
Let me guess ... you thought jet grind radio had a kiddy look to it too?

quote:

Added,

LoL, who cares about having roms without owning the game? It isn't like the police are going to come to your house looking for roms on your system. Having a crapload of cartridges is just a waste of space. Long live emulation.

*NOTHING* (not even the best quality emulator out there) beats the feeling of popping a cartridge in my nes/snes and playing a game on the real thing, with a real nintendo controller, with the game actually performing like it should (which no emulator can guarantee)

plus add to that the fact that you can show your grandson some nostalgia when you're like 80 orso

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
XBox's Name
« Reply #20 on: 20 February 2002, 01:50 »
Well, we may not be wishing that the GC Zelda looked like the demo. Apparently Nintendo is scrapping the cell shading idea so the demo look may become a reality.

http://www.zeldapower.com/news/zeldachange.shtml

I agree that nothing is like the real thing, but you can get pretty damn close with emulation(you can use an adaptoid on you PC so you can use the original controller). Emulated games on a PC look better than the real thing on a TV due to the fact that a PC can do alot higher of a resolution than a TV.
I can tell a major difference in graphics quality playing a 64 game on my PC in 1600x1200x32bpp w/Anisotropic filtering over playing it on a real 64 on a TV doing 640x480(or maybe it is 640x400). On the real thing the graphics and shit look jaggy and blurry after you have played the same game on the emulator in a high resolution. Then again, there are some ROMs that you can't run on the emulators or there may be glitches or speed issues on the emulator.

[ February 19, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

badkarma

• VIP
XBox's Name
« Reply #21 on: 20 February 2002, 02:56 »
For the N64 that's true yeah, but a lot of older consoles look plain out horrible in 1600x1200, you can just about count the pixels by hand then on a NES  

For consoles capable of higher resolutions (like my old trusty dreamcast, for which there is no serious emulator yet) a VGA box/adapter is an absolute must tough, except for low res 2d fighting games then which is a shame, LOT's of kick ass 2d fighters on dreamcast (capcom vs snk 2 rocks)

You can't imagine how sweet most dreamcast games look in high res on a LCD monitor (skies of arcadia was a dream in comparison to the "tv version)  :D

psyjax

• VIP
XBox's Name
« Reply #22 on: 20 February 2002, 05:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by BadKarma:
For the N64 that's true yeah, but a lot of older consoles look plain out horrible in 1600x1200, you can just about count the pixels by hand then on a NES    

On a mac anyway, you can use the RAVE or similar OpenGL graphics modes on emulators to smooth out the graphics or even simulate a tv screen. I find these modes quite effective and they improve the experience.

Thank everyone at www.emulation.net for the totaly awsome Mac emulation community.

badkarma

• VIP
XBox's Name
« Reply #23 on: 20 February 2002, 22:41 »
Haha .... but I'm not going to shell out 2000 euro for a mac to emulate a system which I can buy for 10 euro if I look around hard enough  :rolleyes:

psyjax

• VIP
XBox's Name
« Reply #24 on: 20 February 2002, 22:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by BadKarma:
Haha .... but I'm not going to shell out 2000 euro for a mac to emulate a system which I can buy for 10 euro if I look around hard enough   :rolleyes:  

true, very true.

Zombie9920

XBox's Name
« Reply #25 on: 20 February 2002, 23:38 »
1600x1200x32bpp(32-Bit is overkill for a NES, LoL) doesn't look all that bad with NES games on the PC using VirtualNES v0.40. I don't see any pixelization in it(because the emulator smooths the pixels). It looks alot better than a real NES. The sound is alot better on the emulator also(48.000KHZ 16-bit on the PC compared to a real NES only having like 11.025KHZ 8-Bit sound).
http://zombie9921.homestead.com/files/z2.jpg

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

psyjax

• VIP
XBox's Name
« Reply #26 on: 21 February 2002, 00:02 »
Man I want a biger monitor  :(

Zombie9920

XBox's Name
« Reply #27 on: 21 February 2002, 00:38 »
So do I. I wish I had a monitor that can do at least 2096x1536@75hz. This is all the better 1600x1200x32Bpp looks with 64 games.

http://zombie9922.homestead.com/files/z64.jpg

There are still jaggies in the graphics, the colors look better on the actual game though. Jpeg image format sucks because it can't handle 4.3 billion colors(32Bit). In the actual game you don't see the color blurs around the characters and in the hearts like in the picture.

badkarma

• VIP
XBox's Name
« Reply #28 on: 21 February 2002, 01:53 »
Well, my lowly 15" LCD monitor isn't capable of displaying graphics in a 1600x1200 resolution (not that I care anyway, I have a monitor which can and I prefer the LCD anyway) but I think scaled graphics aren't very nice, firstly the aspect ratio changes (1200/1600!=240/256) and secondly the blurring of the pixels (cause that's what it is, not smoothing but blurring) is also not very pretty (imho)

The sound will be a bit better on a pc yeah but you don't play nes games for their excellent sound  

And how the hell do you play duckhunt or gunsmoke without a zapper?  :D

badkarma

• VIP
XBox's Name
« Reply #29 on: 21 February 2002, 02:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:
There are still jaggies in the graphics, the colors look better on the actual game though. Jpeg image format sucks because it can't handle 4.3 billion colors(32Bit). In the actual game you don't see the color blurs around the characters and in the hearts like in the picture.

4.3 Billion colors? you wish    

32 bit color = 24bit color + 8bit alpha

so you have 16777216 unique colors (plus 256 values of opaqueness per color), which in itself is pretty much redundant because the human eye can't distinguish so many colors.

The color output of a real N64 is 21 bits which gives us 2097152 colors, so if it's properly emulated that's how many colors you'll see (plus the developer/publisher will often opt to use less colors (16 bit) as to save (pretty costly) cartridge space)

The blurriness of the jpeg image is not because it can't cope with 24 bit color, it's because it is a compressed format, and does not store the image on a pixel by pixel basis (like for example a bmp file).

The pixelation in the textures is just plain out ugly because of the high resolution  :eek:

To cancel out the jagged edges by the way (if you have say an nvidia card) turn on anti aliasing somewhere in your videocard options, but be prepared to suffer if you use AA with a 1600x1200 resolution (unless you have a geforce 4    )

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: BadKarma ]