Author Topic: ithurtswhenip  (Read 1614 times)

ithurtswhenip

• Kudos: 0
ithurtswhenip
« on: 14 November 2002, 18:12 »
Greetings, I just found this messageboard and it looks rather active.

I'm relatively new to Linux and have 1000 questions. Today I'm just going to ask a couple.

I've got a PII 350 with 320 MB SDRAM and Mandrake 8 runs like a snail on it. Windows 2000 Advanced server seems to be 100 % faster on the same machine. Any idea why?

Windows 2000 Advanced server runs stable without crashing on this machine for months at a time but Mandrake will automatically crash every few hours for no explained reason while it is sitting idle.

Although it took me a while to find the default www folder for Apache I was able to host web pages on my local home network (10 computers) but I can't seem to get out to the web through my link sys router. I put the entire Linux machine in the DMZ which should allow EVERYTHING to go out to the web and no one on the web is able to view it.

Any solutions?

Also I set up SAMBA for the first time and I can browse a Linux share from my Microsoft network but cannot open it.

I'm guessing I've set up the permissions improperly any suggestions?

I'd mostly like to use the Linux box for web serving and maybe even as a game server. Any suggestions on configuration would be invaluable.

Thanks
ithurtswhenip :)

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
ithurtswhenip
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2002, 01:14 »
quote:
I've got a PII 350 with 320 MB SDRAM and Mandrake 8 runs like a snail on it. Windows 2000 Advanced server seems to be 100 % faster on the same machine. Any idea why?  

Perhaps your video isn't set up in Linux coorrectly.  What video card do you use?  Also I'd upgrade to a newer version of Linux if I were you, yes I know it sounds weird but newer versions of Linux are actually faster.  If you're using KDE 2.2 then that could be part of your problem; it runs like a snail especially with gcc 2.9.x  Try getting Mandrake 9, Debian, or Red Hat Linux 8.

quote:
Windows 2000 Advanced server runs stable without crashing on this machine for months at a time but Mandrake will automatically crash every few hours for no explained reason while it is sitting idle.

It could have to do with a bug in older kernels where memory was corrupted in the kernel space or something like that, anyway do you use an Athlon processor?  Again, I suggest upgrading to a newer version of Linux.  Red Hat 7.0 crashed on my computer all the time but 8.0 never crashes.

As for your other problems I'm not an expert with servers of any kind so you'll have to ask someone else.

slave

ithurtswhenip
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2002, 01:16 »
If none of that helps then I suggest you just stick with what works.

ithurtswhenip

ithurtswhenip
« Reply #3 on: 15 November 2002, 07:10 »
LOL, stick with what works.

MS has it's good and bad points. I love XP for many reasons having gone through 95, 98 NT4, 2000, and XP. XP is so friggin easy.

With Win 95 I had driver problems, crashing problems and networking was difficult to set up.

Win 98 had a little bit better plug and play and was pretty good for games.

I had a love hate relationship with NT4, Drivers were a bitch, Games sucked but it was the first OS that I learned in-depth and the security was great compared to 98 and 95.

2000 was fun, all the security of NT but it also had great plug and play and games worked well.

It blew my mind when I installed XP and it automatically worked with my DSL without configuring a thing networking was easy as hell, it had built in cd burning and picture viewers.

While learning NT4 I first started playing with Linux and had no luck with red hat or free bsd, but I was able to run caldera. I was not however able to do much with it.

I was pretty impressed with Mandrake 7, and I really like Mandrake 8. My knowledge of Linux is getting better and I'm able to do alot more than I used to but I still have a long way to go to get to the point where I would switch 100%

Hopefully I can learn more from people like you guys.

BTW what do you think of the new Apple commercials on TV. They crack me up. I can't say much because I don't have much experience with macs but it seems like there is not much tweeking you can do to them. I still love building my own machines and learning how they work.

slave

ithurtswhenip
« Reply #4 on: 15 November 2002, 07:33 »
quote:
It blew my mind when I installed XP and it automatically worked with my DSL without configuring a thing networking was easy as hell, it had built in cd burning and picture viewers.

If that blows your mind then try running the Knoppix distribution of linux... my god that's a fast install     I'm using it right now and it took literally 1 and a half minutes to get from boot screen to KDE 3 desktop.  And I can burn CD's and connect to the internet out of the box.  All I can say is they need to make debian that easy!

The Auditor

ithurtswhenip
« Reply #5 on: 15 November 2002, 07:38 »
Xp Sucks.. sorry.. if you know about the internals of how it works.. it sucks.

The Auditor
"You can always die, it's living that takes courage."

creedon

ithurtswhenip
« Reply #6 on: 15 November 2002, 18:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by Windows XP User #5225982375:

If that blows your mind then try running the Knoppix distribution of linux... my god that's a fast install      I'm using it right now and it took literally 1 and a half minutes to get from boot screen to KDE 3 desktop.  And I can burn CD's and connect to the internet out of the box.  All I can say is they need to make debian that easy!

If you like it from the CD, try it on a hard drive; it's a rocket.  I wrote a Plain English Tutorial for a hard drive install thats at LinuxJunior.com plus there's a couple others floating around; also, check out the Knoppix english forum at LinuxTag.com.de those guys are writing custom Knoppix ISO's set up the way they want them for their particular box.  VERY cool!
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
ithurtswhenip
« Reply #7 on: 16 November 2002, 01:02 »
Damn Creedon, I did a knoppix hard disk install when I had half an hour to spare this week, I have to say it is great. I am gonna intall kde3.1 beta soon.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

slave

ithurtswhenip
« Reply #8 on: 16 November 2002, 01:26 »
I think they should integrate Knoppix's wonderful autodetection capabilities into Debian somehow.

Bazoukas

• Kudos: 140
    • http://whitehouse.com
ithurtswhenip
« Reply #9 on: 16 November 2002, 01:43 »
i agree.
Yeah

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
ithurtswhenip
« Reply #10 on: 16 November 2002, 06:37 »
X11 was here....
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...