Author Topic: Another reason to use linux  (Read 1633 times)

Interscope

• Kudos: 0
Another reason to use linux
« on: 29 May 2002, 01:29 »
I just got infected with a virus. Don't you just love that? And it's usefull to have linux and windoez on your comp even if windoez is your primary os. Just for the simple fact of crashing/virus/MS "updates"

BTW, it isn't my fault I got it, blame my sister. She so stupid that she can't tell the diffrence between .mp3 and .mp3.vbs

And i'm planning on switching too FreeBSD. I use mandrake now, am fairly happy with it, but I wanna try freebsd. The daemon looks cool... hehe.
Free it, goddamnit!

Computer security is very much like home security - you can take as many security precautions as you like but if you leave windows open, sooner or later you'll get broken into. - (Calum 2003)

Ctrl Alt Del 123

« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2002, 01:34 »
Your running Windows without some kind of anti virus? Thats like walking into a gay bar with your pants down.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2002, 01:37 »
if you want to not pay for antivirus software, you can get AVG antivirus for totally free. Still, you'd be better just using linux for the internet, it doesn't even bloody need antivirus software...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2002, 02:03 »
quote:
it doesn't even bloody need antivirus software

Yes, because no one would waste their time writing a virus for such an unpopular OS.

Xenoran

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2002, 02:23 »
quote:
BTW, it isn't my fault I got it, blame my sister. She so stupid that she can't tell the diffrence between .mp3 and .mp3.vbs

In some way, shape or form, user ignorance always plays a part in catching or spreading viruses. Letting a PC-illiterate user behind ANY system is like putting a drunken monkey in a car and starting the engine for it. The bottom line is that if people would learn how to use their damn systems this kind of crap wouldn't happen.

Also, everyone moving to MacOS and Linux isn't the answer. Yes, it will be a short term fix, but as soon as one arises as the clear dominant platform, guess what OS the script kiddies will re-focus their efforts on...

hoojchoons

• http://www.linux.gr
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2002, 02:55 »
quote:

Originally posted by Windows XP user 0987866278378:
Yes, because no one would waste their time writing a virus for such an unpopular OS  

You must be ignorant as well as stupid. Otherwise you wouldn't have been coming back for more. A question for you: Who would even bother write a virus in C or C++? On the contrary, writing a virus in Visual Basic is childs game. Hell, you can even learn how to do it  :D  . On top of that you seem to ignore GNU/Linux's whole architecture as an Operating System.Even if there were a virus in Linux, it wouldn't compromise the security of your system if one hadn't logged in as root!  Please, before coming here talking nonsense, try to read as much as you can about Linux.

Oh, I forgot something. There are virus scanners for Linux. Yeah, like Amavis for example which searches for Windoze virii (in case Linux is beeing used as a server or router  :D  )

One last thing. I wouldn't call Linux unpopular since it holds already more than 30% of the server market. If you still think Linux is unpopular have a look at what M$ thinks of such an unpopular OS. Now, fuck off   :D

slave

« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2002, 03:27 »
Why don't you squeeze the doughnuts out of your ears and get some sense into that dormant organ you keep hidden inside that thick skull of yours?  Did it ever occur to you that it is easier to write a virus in visual basic rather than C++ because basic is a much easier programming language?  Do you realize that you don't need to be root to have all the files in your home directory, where all the documents and local program configurations are, infected or wiped out?  I've already posted an article on this forum describing how deluded the notion held by Mac and Linux users is that their operating systems are more somehow more secure than Windows.  There are and have been huge gaping security holes in BSD and Linux, but people don't hear about it like they do when one of Microsoft's operating systems has a problem.  And, actually, since no one has any official quality control over Linux like Microsoft does, and due to the fact that very few people are actively trying to discover Linux security flaws compared to the legions attempting to hack Windows every day, it is very likely that Linux has far more security holes in it than Windows does, as Windows has undergone much more rigorous scrutiny.  Also, I keep my system up to date, run a virus program and a decent firewall, and I've never had a problem.    

PS Speaking of easy to write, I could e-mail you a shell script with the single command rm -Rf ~ and you'd be done for.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2002, 03:37 »
well done, you get the prize. EVERYTHING in that post was actually wrong! i am utterly stunned! i have never seen such concentrated moronity here so far! and i've been here since it all started in november! You could almost exactly write a post saying the exact opposite of everything you just said, and you would be right on the money! There is no point me responding to anything you post from now on. In fact the only responses you will ever get from me from now on will be completely devoid of substance. You have ceased to be a rational being in my opinion. Good luck in the world. Let me know when you can successfully distinguish between your elbow and your arse!

slave

« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2002, 03:46 »
quote:
In fact the only responses you will ever get from me from now on will be completely devoid of substance.  

You mean they had substance before?

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2002, 04:17 »
oh ha. pass me a needle i think my sides have burst. what hilarity.

hoojchoons

« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2002, 04:48 »
You seem to be completely hopeless. Since you were asking for some strong arguments, this should help.What an arsehole  :D

hoojchoons

« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2002, 05:23 »
Oh, have a look at this thread too you pathetic Windoze drone. and about that shell script that would crash my system: Not only did you mistype it but it doesn't work anymore, sorry  :D .

Ctrl Alt Del 123

« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2002, 05:31 »
I do know this: A stupid user on Linux can do just as much damage as a stupid user on Windows.

Same goes for this: A smart user in Windows can be just as safe as a smart user in Linux.

And hoojchoons, your second link leads me to a:

Not Found
The requested URL /cgi_bin/ultimatebb.cgi was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

hoojchoons

« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2002, 05:43 »
My fault. I was to eager to answer to this asshole's silly arguments that I mistyped the URL. Here it goes.

hoojchoons

« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2002, 05:46 »
A blast from the recent past  :D  . I think that VoidMain's words describe it better.